Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I definitely understand this view. As a continuous holder of TSLA since the IPO, we investors have been put through the wringer and have suffered constant attacks, doubt, endured high risk situations, etc. We have been rewarded for our diligence, but I see it as unfair that other EV startups get a free pass just because Tesla succeeded. Rivian, Lucid, etc. all have a very tough road ahead of them. Elon literally slept on the factory floor for months during the Model 3. Tesla endured ridicule, lies from the media...the whole shebang.

Not saying the other companies deserve the crap that we TSLA holders endured, but they should really have to prove themselves and not get a free pass.
could not agree more not only are they getting a free pass into the arena ... they have not even begun to battle... their inflated valuations are at risk ... they basically have nothing to support their SP ... further macro headwinds will be problematic

If they use 2170s for the Semi that is also a lot of cells, charging each individual cell at bit, could add up to a lot.

We will find out soon enough.
honestly they REALLY should ultimately use the 4680 cell technology for the semi packs, due to longevity, charge/discharge advantages for this heavy use market. But, they may have already certainly designed the packs around the 2170's for the launch and test vehicles.

Reactions: MC3OZ and Nocturnal
Just a slow and steady earned reward is what I’d suspect he’d prefer. Heck it’s what we should all prefer unless we’re looking for the exits soon or speculating/trading.

You could even make the argument that of the extremes in share price swings, a wildly exuberant stock price is now actually more detrimental to a cash-rich and massively expanding Tesla than a depressed stock price. It a) may dampen recruiting efforts, especially where top talent is required e.g. robotics and b) may cause increased turnover as employees are able to retire early. I love personal stories of financial freedom as much as anyone, but Tesla also needs to retain at least some talent for continuity and leadership. Otherwise for talented engineers the whole thing turns into: do a short tour of duty at Tesla and then retire/pursue other passions. If that cycle is too short then you have a talent retention problem. How many will keep grinding away at the mission after not needing to work a real job anymore? Probably not as many as you’d like.
Sorry but this theory of Elon purposely trying to hold the stock down for the sake of future employees continues to be nonsense in my opinion. I don't think he cares one way or the other tbh. The only reason the past 2 months have been wild swings is because Wall St ignored Tesla's progress through much of 2021. The only reason 2020 was wild as it was, was because Wall St pinned the stock down for 5 years in a narrow trading range. Elon's not creating the volatility, Wall St is.

Most of what you're writing isn't applicable today. Did Tesla workers that were there before 2020 become millionaires? Sure.....and the ones that wanted to retire or move on have.

But for all new hires and those that were hired pretty much since second half of 2020, TSLA could be at 1500/share right now and it's not going to even remotely mean retirement. They're all bound by 4 - year RSU vesting anyways which further means there's not going to be a mass exodus of talent from Tesla, regardless of what the stock does this year or next.

This theory really is a non-issue and I'm not sure how it's caught on. MSFT, Apple, and many other companies are at their ATH's and yet they have no issue retaining talent.

Last edited:
I’ve used the same “manual” HVAC settings for four winters (prevents ANY fogging/frosting of glass): set point 20C; fresh air only; fan speed one; airflow out of windscreen/floor/mains (mains aimed at side windows). Routine 257 km trip used to take 72% SOC when road partially covered with snow/slush/brine, temp averaging -12C, calm wind. Same trip now, at -2C, calm wind and dry surface takes 72% SOC.
from an energy use standpoint it's 'cheaper' to just run the seat heaters and keep the set temp closer to outside, within reason. I was recently driving through NE/WY/IA where it was 20 BELOW with Wind Chill at 10-15 degrees below that. I had rented a Ford Explorer purposely for this ridiculous journey. And every time I passed a Tesla I thought about just HOW MUCH energy they must be using to keep the occupant/s close to warm.

Reactions: navguy12
Sorry but this theory of Elon purposely trying to hold the stock down for the sake of future employees continues to be nonsense in my opinion. I don't think he cares one way or the other tbh. The only reason the past 2 months have been wild swings is because Wall St ignored Tesla's progress through much of 2021. The only reason 2020 was wild as it was, was because Wall St pinned the stock down for 5 years in a narrow trading range. Elon's not creating the volatility, Wall St is.

Most of what you're writing isn't applicable today. Did Tesla workers that were there before 2020 become millionaires? Sure.....and the ones that wanted to retire or move on have.

But for all new hires and those that were hired pretty much since second half of 2020, TSLA could be at 1500/share right now and it's not going to even remotely mean retirement. They're all bound by 4 - year RSU vesting anyways which further means there's not going to be a mass exodus of talent from Tesla, regardless of what the stock does this year or next.

This theory really is a non-issue and I'm not sure how it's caught on. MSFT, Apple, and many other companies are at their ATH's and yet they have no issue retaining talent.
Also, as a shareholder, it's beneficial to you besides just having nice gains. The higher the stock is when RSU's are granted to employees, the less dilutive it is. If Tesla offers the equivalent of 100k in RSU's at a signing bonus, they actually dilute less the higher the stock price is and the better EPS will be. The longer a stock stays under it's real value, the more diluted you get and the more EPS suffers (on a GAAP basis) when the company is making offers to new hires.

back of the envelope exercise

On 300,000 plus deliveries this quarter tesla generates about $3 billion profit.

On 3 million yearly deliveries in 2024 that should equate with $30 billion profit,
assuming all else remains constant. (This number does not include fsd )

30 billion profits implies a forward p/e in the low 30s.
(Apples p/e is currently about 30ish.)
Finally someone who says " back of the envelope" rather that "back of the napkin". I'm much more likely to read your posts!

Tobias Lindh:

From the replies:

These are not customer cars but for testing and presumably getting up to speed faster.
1641590591280.gif

Tobias Lindh:

From the replies:

These are not customer cars but for testing and presumably getting up to speed faster.
I'd venture to guess we're a ways off from final approval :rolleyes:

Seems pointless to issue a permit to build 2,000 cars that can't be sold if the actual final permit approval was coming in the next few days. Germany continues showing it's excellence at procrastinating and dragging its feet.

Tesla could have easily constructed a 2nd China factory and be flooding the European market with vehicles by this point instead of still waiting for Berlin approval. I get the importance of Giga Berlin.....but they could have applied for the permits for Giga Berlin and secured the land when they did back in 2020, but focus on constructing a second China factory until they actually got the Berlin permit approval and they would be a in a much better situation today.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so no use in crying over spilt millk

Meh, you all are too young too remember the Q2 2018 P&D report (the one where Tesla finally produced 5K Models in a single week, while AJ was predicting 3.5K peak produciton).

So Wall St. shortzes and hedgies were shocked by the P&D report, the SP zoomed at the Open on July 2nd. Then AJ writes his note saying "yeah, but they'll never sustain that production rate.

Hedgies walk the price down 18.7% during the shortened trading week, finishing below where it was before the P&D Report: (here's a stockchart from that time back in Summer 2018, the week we exited Production Hell)

View attachment 753108

So, during "Hell Week" back in 2018 we dropped 18.5% in 4 days.

This week, we only dropped 17.2% in 4 days. :p

View attachment 753122

This was from the old bag of trick plays for Wall St. What did you expect Lucy to do, Charlie Brown?

Y'all need to brush up on your TSLA history (not just @Chunky Jr. everybody). Jus' sayin' :p

Cheers! #LEARNING
That's the same weekly graph twice...

Mod: Dodger requested deletion of his first post and reposted later in the thread. --ggr

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh, you all are too young too remember the Q2 2018 P&D report (the one where Tesla finally produced 5K Models in a single week, while AJ was predicting 3.5K peak produciton).

So Wall St. shortzes and hedgies were shocked by the P&D report, the SP zoomed at the Open on July 2nd. Then AJ writes his note saying "yeah, but they'll never sustain that production rate.

Hedgies walk the price down 18.7% during the shortened trading week, finishing below where it was before the P&D Report: (here's a stockchart from that time back in Summer 2018, the week we exited Production Hell)

View attachment 753108

So, during "Hell Week" back in 2018 we dropped 18.5% in 4 days.

This week, we only dropped 17.2% in 4 days. :p

View attachment 753122

This was from the old bag of trick plays for Wall St. What did you expect Lucy to do, Charlie Brown?

Y'all need to brush up on your TSLA history (not just @Chunky Jr. everybody). Jus' sayin' :p

Cheers! #LEARNING
you linked the same pic twice. took me a while to notice :D

So your saying I shouldnt move my money into interest bearing accounts and treasury bills when I can invest in Tesla? Isnt that extra interest worth not having the short term risk?
I wonder how much TSLA stock is held on margin and instead of paying off car and mortgages. I bet at least the margin interest rate is going to cause some rebalancing. I stayed clear of margin since we went up so crazy cashing in my borrowed chips and just accumulating a fully owned core position since then with the occasional options play on the side, fully paid off one of the two car loans to derisk etc. Of course I could have even larger a core position now if I had gone full into margin until the most recent ATH but didn't feel like I needed to take that risk any more.

Reactions: saniflash
Sorry but this theory of Elon purposely trying to hold the stock down for the sake of future employees continues to be nonsense in my opinion. I don't think he cares one way or the other tbh. The only reason the past 2 months have been wild swings is because Wall St ignored Tesla's progress through much of 2021. The only reason 2020 as wild as it was, was because Wall St pinned the stock down for 5 years in a narrow trading range. Elon's not creating the volatility, Wall St is.

First off, while some have opined he does things to purposely hold the stock down, I‘m not suggesting that. It wouldn’t surprise me either way. What I am far more confident about is that if he does have any thoughts at all about the stock (insanely low on the list of priorities, obviously), it’s probably related to concern for his employees being able to buy-in and certainly not concern for already-fairly-wealthy shareholders tweeting him for stock splits because they’re annoyed with market shenanigans. And if he does have a general preference as outlined above, it’s not the same as actively trying to do something about it. Currently he seems to have learned to stop opining about valuation and diplomatically says the market decides. His past comments, however, do reveal at least some discomfort when the stock price has appreciated rapidly or may be pricing in success which in his conservative view, is not guaranteed. Elon may be optimistic about what is within the realm of possible (exhibit A: FSD timelines), but he also appears uncomfortable when he perceives the market or supporters treating it like it’s a done deal.

It’s those instances where the share price seems to be running artificially, whether it’s an option-driven gamma squeeze or S&P inclusion - those are the times Elon has seemed to need to say something. Wall St. games sometimes go your way and sometimes against - and that is what I would guess Elon picks up on. Maybe some of us are too distracted by portfolio gains when it’s to the upside to admit that the short-term shenanigans go both ways. I’m not talking about a fundamental-driven appreciation to ATH/1500 here, nor do I think that would be any risk to talent acquisition or retention. But do I think there are things Tesla/Elon could reveal or do today to very promptly get us to 3000 if they felt like it? Absolutely. And my point is simply one should not expect those things to happen.

I'd venture to guess we're a ways off from final approval :rolleyes:

Seems pointless to issue a permit to build 2,000 cars that can't be sold if the actual final permit approval was coming in the next few days. Germany continues showing it's excellence at procrastinating and dragging its feet.

Tesla could have easily constructed a 2nd China factory and be flooding the European market with vehicles by this point instead of still waiting for Berlin approval. I get the importance of Giga Berlin.....but they could have applied for the permits for Giga Berlin and secured the land when they did back in 2020, but focus on constructing a second China factory until they actually got the Berlin permit approval and they would be a in a much better situation today.

Hindsight is always 20/20 so no use in crying over spilt millk
Permission to build more bodies/ castings/ paint/ tune the line/ train employees is different from actually planning to build 2,000 nonsaleable cars.
Practice now means a smoother/ faster ramp.

Are you advocating that Tesla would be better off if Berlin was still a pre-cardboard forest?

What I am far more confident about is that if he does have any thoughts at all about the stock (insanely low on the list of priorities, obviously), it’s probably related to concern for his employees being able to buy-in and certainly not concern for already-fairly-wealthy shareholders tweeting him for stock splits because they’re annoyed with market shenanigans

He also hates short sellers and enjoys when they get burned.

Reactions: insaneoctane