Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. EM should stop taunting the SEC. Just concentrate on continuing to further the mission statement...make batteries, EVS, back up batteries, solar tiles/panels, AI improvements for AD and launch satellites for mapping/communication between vehicles.

Tit for Tat is enough. 1 attack gets met with 1 solid defense. Anything more than 1 Tit for 2 Tat means you are putting too much effort into them.

Reactions: neroden
Any congressional repr
I just don't see the SEC settling or dropping this. Both sides have their respective 'back's up' and are pushing hard at each other.

My hope is that the judge admonishes both sides but indicates that EM is not in contempt and tells the SEC in very certain terms that the language in the previous agreement gives EM more discretion in what he says and to not bring such things before her again. (Ok, she won't say the last part..just wishful thinking)

Then the judge proceeds to put a deposit on a Tesla Model 3, to which members on this forum does a gofundme and gives the judge the car for free ;).

I disagree. EM should stop taunting the SEC. Just concentrate on continuing to further the mission statement...make batteries, EVS, back up batteries, solar tiles/panels, AI improvements for AD and launch satellites for mapping/communication between vehicles.

You make the case that the tweet was ill advised. You have made no case that the tweet was 'wrong' (i.e. material. i.e. in breach of the SEC agreement).

I’ve been thinking about this: there is one problem with Elon’s tweet: it put out numbers that weren’t *clearly* spelled out in previous guidance. Given the delivery numbers(400,000 in 2019), production of 500,000 doesn’t make sense. The analysts on the call even seemed confused about his Model 3 numbers at the time. I still think he was right that it wasn’t material, but I think it would make sense for the judge to just suggest that he should probably be a bit more careful going forward.

Tweet was posted after the ARK pod cast was released wherein Elon specifically says that he usually talks in terms of peak production rates, steady state 80-85% of that. 400k = 80% of 500k.

Tweet was posted after the ARK pod cast was released wherein Elon specifically says that he usually talks in terms of peak production rates, steady state 80-85% of that. 400k = 80% of 500k.

Sure. And, like I said, I don’t think it was material, given everything that had been said. Just acknowledging there was some confusion about that number, rather than it being one that they had consistently stated before. Probably makes sense for Elon to stick with well known consistent numbers when possible(although in this case it seemed to be essentially a typo).

Sure. And, like I said, I don’t think it was material, given everything that had been said. Just acknowledging there was some confusion about that number, rather than it being one that they had consistently stated before. Probably makes sense for Elon to stick with well known consistent numbers when possible(although in this case it seemed to be essentially a typo).

Yah, I'd claim any investor following Elon enough to react to the tweet would have already listened the podcast (along with, you know, listening to the Q4 call...:))

Reactions: Carl Raymond

Really bothered me that even in this seeeminglu positive article, they used a supercharger map for a few years ago showing only a small percentage of the current coverage. Geesh, media can’t even get it right when they seemingly want to write a positive article....

Ok, so I took another look at it and the pic looks like it’s supposed to be a video, maybe showing the growth of the network?? I can’t get it to play though....

Really bothered me that even in this seeeminglu positive article, they used a supercharger map for a few years ago showing only a small percentage of the current coverage. Geesh, media can’t even get it right when they seemingly want to write a positive article....

Ok, so I took another look at it and the pic looks like it’s supposed to be a video, maybe showing the growth of the network?? I can’t get it to play though....
Just trying to maximize return on a video by using old footage.

• Informative
Reactions: Mobius484

If Elon just said "will make about half a million" vs " about 500,000", we wouldn't even be in this mess.

Saying "half a million" apparently feels like there's more rounding done than "500,000".

But Elon's team in their sur-reply submitted a number of new pieces of evidence, which allows the SEC to again file their thoughts on this topic by the 26th.
I don't think this is how it works. The sur-reply is the end of it. The SEC doesn't get another filing. Even if hey asked for one, I'm pretty sure the judge won't grant it. If Elon's lawyers ask for an evidentiary hearing I expect the judge will grant it, and would have granted such a request by the SEC. My belief is that the judge really doesn't have a dog in this fight and is going to let everyone have their say before she dons her robe as "the decider."