Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
and will use 90% recycled steel!

I'll be quite curious to see how this update combined with the updated maps/navigation solves a lot of the smaller issues that was coming from outdated map data. From what I've seen, a fair number of disengagements have been because of outdated map data confusing FSD.

So even if 10.9 doesn't offer a ton of new functionality or improvement on actual FSD performance, you could still see a material drop in disengagements from this update

The ad they’re running is quite pathetic because of the spaceX diss (which actually shows they’re competing with a company that has space tech 🙃), but the funny part to me is that if I was an investor in Ford right now…..I’d be wondering and worried as to why Ford is spending millions every weekend on advertising when they should have plenty of demand for the Mach E and their upcoming truck. They shouldn’t even remotely need to advertise right now. They could be taking the millions they’re spending daily on these tv spots and put that money into something like charging locations….or ya know throw the money at trying to attract engineers to advance your piss poor software.

But yet they claim hey have so much pent up demand and still throw millions every day down the drain. It’s really telling….and makes me laugh every time that commercial comes on.
Our local ford dealer has 9 Mach E’s on the lot. Two weeks ago they had 11. Just flying off the lot.

Tesla China seems to have a lot of autonomy from the US company and runs itself more in line with whats expected there I think.
It's VERY interesting that Tesla USA and Tesla China have taken very different approaches to this. In China, Tesla has gone after, and taken to court successfully, "activists" that have been spreading false statements on social media.

Wonder why Tesla has not gone the same route in the USA.
its totally different environment. A lot of US companies doing business in China in the old American way failed like Amazon, Ebay, uber and miscrosoft MSN (yeah, back then was not blocked). The competition there is fierce/cutting throat. I heard in big Chinese tech companies They dont have internal org chart accessible to employees. cause if they open it to all employees, ppl would leak the whole report tree to head hunters and the whole dept would be gone to the competitors in days. smear campaigns r common in business, its like u.s. politics.
The previous Greater China heads of tesla were too soft and they all got fired by Musk. The current Musk style policies implemented by Tesla China team I believe have a lot to do with recent success in China. China is still under rapid economic expansion. driven ppl, less regulations, its like America's gilded time minus rule of law. Its wild west. You have to be a fighter there, otherwise you die quickly. thats also part of the reason why Giga Shanghai exhibited such high efficiency, which I doubt can be easily duplicated in Giga Berlin, or even Austin. There will be technology advance at the new Gigas that will help. But you wont be able to match Chinese workers efficiency. If you dont believe it, check how Transpacific railroads were built in California.

Last edited:

"Dan is the world’s leading expert in creating software that never fails and can’t be hacked."​

Dan "the man" says this over and over by the way. Seems more self promoting than anything else. I hope that if Elon says anything it's constructive you know how it is when two engineers get together but this guy would get quite a bit of free media if Elon tweets.

He's also a bit odd:

What a dickhead.

Well, they could at least reasonably make it drive in reverse at highway speeds to maximize range on road-trips. *ducks*
Dunno where that reference came from, but wouldn't driving in reverse on the freeway (after doing a 180 quickly)
also help when the frunk latch (on a non-recalled model S) becomes unhinged, blocking all front view?

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies and ggr
I'm intrigued by the implications of this:

- does this have any ramifications on previous NN training which used 8 bit processed images
- will Tesla use 10 bit images for future training
- if so, I assume this uses bigger file data, so restricts size/number that can be stored then uploaded?

Yes, big ramifications. They had to retrain the entire perception network to work with the different camera input. They did it becasue processing the raw images took 13ms out of a 27ms total time budget. Using unprocessed images will require a bigger neural net (10 bit versus 8 bit images) but presumably the bigger NN will be faster and more precise than the old way.

Two major changes. Handling intersections using a new auto-regression neural net should be a huge improvement. "Auto-regression" means using past information to make future predictions. So the network is finally starting to reason using a continuous memory of past results about what is happening in the intersection.
For Tesla, FSD is a major opportunity, as we all know, however, it is still something that requires constant attention while operating, these changes might eliminate the key issues for me.

Can't wait for this as I have one very difficult left that FSD has never completed (T-intersection, left at stop sign, but it is at an obtuse declined angle). There's a lot of other nits, but this is the big one. A map update is nice as I have 3 new roundabouts that were opened in the summer FSD handles very poorly (massive wheel and throttle stuttering).

My comments on the Dawn project from Dan.

TL;DR - He used to be a Tesla bull in 2014, owning a Roadster and Model S, which I was shown. This seems to be a play by TSLAQ/competition and I expect Tesla to hit back due to the relationship Elon and Dan have.

I used to work with Dan, thought very highly of GHS and once briefly considered an offer to work for them. I've been to their HQ in Santa Barbara a few times and I wonder if they still have the T-rex skull in the lobby? Anyway, GHS is the leader in flight critical software and yes, any software is hackable, but they've never been hacked at level 6 (nearly every plane you've ever been on runs their software at the lowest levels...so be grateful; BIOS and embedded bring up machine level code). I do expect that GHS did sign on some companies that is 'competing' with Tesla and that is what provoked the article and specific wording. I have lots more data on this, but as most have already stated, this doesn't seem motivated for public good. It honestly makes me sick, and I'd bet his employees as well, to think that the apparent lust for money is behind this as opposed to holding public safety at the highest level.