Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I bought on the rumor from last year and it has done really well, let's hope it continues to go up! Bought in at ~$36 12/2020

Steel Dynamics (SDI) does produce cold-rolled stainless steel right now at their existing plant in Ohio. SpaceX has purchased this for Starship prototypes.

Of course SDI will add cold-rolled SS to the new Sinton, TX plant given the demand for it. That's just inevitable, the Bloomberg guy was just trying to obscure that. It's simple logistics to be near your major customers, and Corpus Christi (Sinton) is half-way between Austin and Boca Chica.

The post-processing of the steel at Giga Texas is likely just the laser bending/forming process, and possibly some 'blueing' of the steel (I'm eager to see an updated prototype Cybertruck).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Steel Dynamics (SDI) does produce cold-rolled stainless steel right now at their existing plant in Ohio. SpaceX has purchased this for Starship prototypes.

Of course SDI will add cold-rolled SS to the new Sinton, TX plant given the demand for it.
This guy from SDI seems to have a different idea:
"The rumors aren’t true. “I can absolutely confirm we are NOT currently an approved supplier to that facility or that platform,” Barry Schneider, an SDI senior vice president, wrote to me last month in an email. “We will aspire to work towards becoming an approved supplier to Tesla for the products that we are capable of producing.”

“Stainless steel is not something we have ever discussed being equipped to produce,” SDI’s Schneider told me this weekend."

Here's a chart I made to estimate share price each quarter. I'm using trailing twelve month revenue and price to sales ratio to come up with these estimates:
Polish_20220119_192533105.jpg

I assumed 14% production growth each quarter. Beginning q1 of 2022 my estimated trailing twelve months of production are:
1.096m1.287m1.5m1.711m

Tesla generated about $56,775 per vehicle and I used this to simplify revenue estimates. To be clear, I simply took rev per quarter and divided by production each quarter in 2021 to come to this rough figure.

Beginning q1 2022 trailing 12 month rev estimates are:
$62.2b$73.0b$85.2b$97.1b

In 2021 we had a range of about 18 to 30 for price to sales and I used this against trailing twelve month revenue estimates to come up with a rough trading range I would expect Tesla to trade at. For reference we are currently trading at around a 19 price to sales ratio at the current ~$1000 share price.

If we apply these price to sales figures against estimated trailing twelve month revenues we could see:
Q1: $1,132 - $1,887 price per share
Q2: $1,329 - $2,214 price per share
Q3: $1,549 - $2,582 price per share
Q4: $1,776 - $2,944 price per share

Hope this is helpful.

SPY with a potential triple bottom. Green Futures. Asia markets also green. I'm somewhat optimistic for tomorrow.

NFLX starting off tech earnings tomorrow. Cathie sold 3000 shares today, so it will probably beat.
I feel nflx earning is going to reverse the sentiment. Squid game brought in a lot of NA subscriptions last q. I myself opened nflx app the first time in half a year just to check it out. Price hike means better outlook. But mr market is a naughty boy. Don’t trust anything I said. Trust @tivoboy and @StealthP3D

SPY with a potential triple bottom. Green Futures. Asia markets also green. I'm somewhat optimistic for tomorrow.

NFLX starting off tech earnings tomorrow. Cathie sold 3000 shares today, so it will probably beat.
NFLX and AAPL both have a reputation for selling off after beats, but during the current tech beatdown this might actually reverse. If NFLX beats, and pops, then I think we might see the good color. The Triple-Q's are right on 200 DMA right now too, if we're going to see a bounce, it happens here.

The other wild card is Putin rattles the saber too much and actually cuts someone with it. Then look out below everywhere.

I own both HODL shares and LEAPs.

I don't use any technical rationale to pick which strikes to choose. Rather, I go out as far as I can (Jan 2024 is it currently) then look at premiums versus strike price and pick one (or more) that make sense to me. I'm pretty conservative and hate losing theta premiums. So I tend to choose DITM LEAPs.

Yashu (Hit That Bid YT) had Bradford Ferguson on his live stream today (it was great -- definitely watch it if you can) and Bradford was discussing the Jan 2024 c500 as possibly a good DITM LEAP to look at right now. Selling for around $585 when the SP was at $1,000, it's less than $100 of time premium for 2 years. He described it as basically a 4-5% interest per annum you would be paying for the increased leverage. I traded in 120 shares today to purchase two of these.

Since I think the probability that the SP is less than $1,100 by then is very low, I consider this a good way to increase exposure/leverage without taking on margins (which Bradford Ferguson also discussed).

Goes without saying, not advice. Heck, with my timing, it's probably good anti-advice.
WoW, just went on optionprofits calculator and the difference between 1000 strike is a break even of 1349 at expiration and the 500 strike has a break even 1089.

Of course premium is 589 instead of 349 but I find the 500 strike LEAP far more interesting. Didn’t realize there was so much of a difference

Thanks for the info

NFLX and AAPL both have a reputation for selling off after beats, but during the current tech beatdown this might actually reverse. If NFLX beats, and pops, then I think we might see the good color. The Triple-Q's are right on 200 DMA right now too, if we're going to see a bounce, it happens here.

The other wild card is Putin rattles the saber too much and actually cuts someone with it. Then look out below everywhere.
Yeah, Putin is also a naughty boy. If I was Putin, I would do it when the weather freezes so the Europeans need me the most

• Funny
Reactions: ThisStockGood
What the hell happened to this board? One super low volume pushdown day and folks are lapping up doom & gloom like it's already tomorrow's headlines.

That's the entire point of these moves.....to get your shares cheap. You people never would've made it through 2015-2018.

I've been off the junk for a good 6 months now, but I'm spite-buying some 1/28 calls tomorrow just because you folks got me so riled up. I blame you all if this spirals into something dangerous!

Besides lame crap Amazon, I see every tech company blowing out earnings. Hopefully the price action lately is what they consider as a "false breakdown" and bear trap all them shorts going into earnings.

I do feel like there's a lot of foul play with the 10 year. Huge shorting of the bond is happening, highest since Feb 2021. Looking at the 10 year, it's almost retrospective of what happens to the qqq. Every time qqq goes up the 10 year interest goes up to ruin the party. It's almost like 10 year is up because qqq was going up, not that qqq is dumping because of the 10 year.

"Decent track record", really? @tivoboy is a short-term trader who has missed out on much of the most profitable moves Tesla has made since the lows of 2019. I ignored @tivoboy when he called for another 20% drop on June 3, 2019 and, instead, doubled my already substantial TSLA long position the next morning. I'm still holding those shares and they are worth millions of dollars more than they were when I ignored his fear-mongering negative commentary that we had another 20% down. It's the same story he's trying to sell us right now. Here's the June 3, 2019 post in question:

Here's the chart from the period in question, the beginning of the biggest bull run Tesla has ever seen. The vertical line is the date of the post quoted above:

View attachment 757693

Anyone can preach doom and gloom and urge caution and be right some of the time. But people who do this when TSLA is trading at $36 ($180 pre-split) are going to miss the opportunity to build big positions with minimal risk. And that's how you build wealth by compounding gains. You snatch up values like this, not wait because some negative Nellie said there was no bottom in sight and the buy point was 20% lower when he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Prophets are a dime a dozen and all of them are right some of the time, that's the law of averages. Because stocks have volatility. This kind of prediction is based on nothing less flimsy than technical analysis. Because no one really knows. The real money is made by looking far into the future when investing capital, not by predicting it might go down 20% more in the short-term. When I doubled my TSLA position at $36.80 on June 4, 2019, I knew it might go down 20% more but I bought anyway because I was looking at long-term value. Because there has not been a time in TSLA history when one could say it certainly wouldn't go down 20% more.

This time is no different. It very well could go down 20% from here, but I doubt it. No one really knows so avoid taking prophets under your wing. The market always looks scary when it's going down. As soon as it turns around and decides now is not the time, everything looks different. It happens suddenly. That's why taking the long-term approach is more profitable, more often, then trying to play the little moves.

The Tivoboy Bottom ™️!

Gee that sounds familIar…

D3AD1759-6D79-45A5-99DE-B2FE79FCE2CB.jpeg

One thing I am looking for after earnings is what "THEY" have the media print. I have a feeling like others the PD is baked in. What will matter is the future out look. If THEY can spin this about Texas and Berlin being delayed, even by a day along with Cybertruck not coming until some time in 2023 it will be a good reason for THEM to drop TSLA further. It doesn't require a lot of shorting. It just requires slowing down the buyers... make the buyers hesitate. If few are buying less shorted shares are needed.
I mean obviously these huge delays mean the OEMs are going to catch up right? /s

As far as I am concerned, Tesla has a huge back log which tells them what trims people want the most. Texas and Berlin can crank out those cars and park them on the parking lot until permit approval. If the permit for Berlin gets delayed further I think the government will let them build more cars as "test" builds. When the gates are opened you will see an unprecedented wave of deliveries.

I am mixed about what I call Model Zero. If it is announced then THEY might print something alluding to Model 3&Y sales tanking because of the "cheaper version". I am thinking someone on the call is going to ask about it. I am hoping Elon sticks to the "enough on our plate" statement even tho I really want to hear about it.

I think we need to hear about the 4680 progress in a positive light.
I want an update on where the Semi is at. How many have made it out the door if any. (batteries)
Is the Roadster getting close? (batteries)
What's holding back Cybertruck? (can you guess.... batteries)
We need to see these vehicles before Model Zero can even think about getting in the queue for.... wait for it.... batteries.
If you can't tell I still think the most outstanding obstacle is batteries. The second is probably actual humans to design, build, deliver.
If 4680 issues are resolved then it's on.

If a good path forward is evident and Macros are at a point to reverse this might be more like a canon than a coiled spring. Between now and then tho there isn't much to bring any light since Tesla is at the hush moment before earning. We are at the mercy of the hedgies and the whimsy of wall street. Hopefully we get a little bounce tomorrow to take this doom and gloom off. Options look like above $1000 is wanted this week but realistically THEY don't mind if it falls below. Those 1000 strike Puts will hurt but if they can churn between 995 and 1000, THEY can roll and balance with Calls..... then let it drop.

P&D is already baked in because Tesla has already released the Production and Delivery Report for Q4. That should go without saying. What's not baked in is how the P&D growth impacts margins. If Tesla achieved these increases primarily through efficiency gains, we could see something incredible. Numbers matter because it changes how analysts look at TSLA vs. legacy auto. It plays into not only profitability but, more importantly, the ability to constantly grow market share unimpeded by the 'competition'. Currently, most analysts don't seem to understand Tesla's biggest competitive advantage, the ability to produce more for less.

The other obvious potential catalyst is, as you mentioned, a positive report on battery production. There's more of course but these are the two fundamental ones in my mind.

P&D is already baked in because Tesla has already released the Production and Delivery Report for Q4. That should go without saying. What's not baked in is how the P&D growth impacts margins. If Tesla achieved these increases primarily through efficiency gains, we could see something incredible. Numbers matter because it changes how analysts look at TSLA vs. legacy auto. It plays into not only profitability but, more importantly, the ability to constantly grow market share unimpeded by the 'competition'. Currently, most analysts don't seem to understand Tesla's biggest competitive advantage, the ability to produce more for less.

The other obvious potential catalyst is, as you mentioned, a positive report on battery production. There's more of course but these are the two fundamental ones in my mind.
I firmly believe tsla will correct less compared to other quality growth names such as roku/sq etc fundamentals r too strong. Volatility is going to be high. We will see selloff and quickly bounce back

WoW, just went on optionprofits calculator and the difference between 1000 strike is a break even of 1349 at expiration and the 500 strike has a break even 1089.

Of course premium is 589 instead of 349 but I find the 500 strike LEAP far more interesting. Didn’t realize there was so much of a difference

Thanks for the info
Yep, sure thing.

While I agree with you, there are many who would pick a more aggressive strike price and purchase more LEAPs for the same amount of investment.

For example, you could get 5 of the c1000 for the same amount as 3 of the c500. Run the numbers if the SP is $3,000 in Jan 2024 and you can see why some might choose the higher strike price.

Not for me though. I drive 80mph or slower, look both ways before crossing the street and buy DITM LEAPs. I even separate whites from colors when I do laundry.