Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If people are wondering how FB's earnings is affecting what is being priced into the entire market, this line from the earnings report may have such impact as people digest what is said.

"Second, we will lap a period of strong demand in the prior year and we're hearing from advertisers that macroeconomic challenges like cost inflation and supply chain disruptions are impacting advertiser budgets"
If this is true, did Google anything about this on their earnings?

Reactions: Skryll
This may sound bonkers, but is there a simple system available that can operate as a very inefficient power sharer from an EV (in an emergency) that involves raising the car off the ground and generating power from running the wheels across rollers etc that then generate electricity that can be fed into the house?

Obviously a lot of energy would be lost in the process, but something is better than nothing in some emergency situations I expect, and this would require no modification of an EV to achieve.
It is, you can put a 12V to 120 inverter on the 12V system and have the car dc/dc on.

Meta-unstable compound: :p

FBMeta Platforms Inc.
down.gif
-66.73(-20.92%)
Couldn't have happened to a better stock! They lost 10 billion on the "metaverse". Tesla could have built five factories with that. Facebook could have sent free VR goggles (good quality ones) to every user that puts in more than 15 minutes a day.

I hope this does not drill down Tesla stock too much, but I think we could actually see inflows because of it.

And if you understand li-ion battery lifespan, that's another strike against VTG right there. It encourages owners to charge to higher voltages, so they have more energy stored. There is more than meets the eye involved here. If Tesla changes their stance on VTG in the future, it will be because the underlying technology and thus the economics of VTG has advanced, not because they finally "get it".

But this conversation has gone far beyond what is appropriate on an investors thread. From an investment standpoint, suffice to say that Tesla has the best EV economics of any EV manufacturer out there without VTG and adopting VTG isn't going to change that for the better.
V2G was originally pushed not for home backup but load balancing using a small fraction of the pack off many packs with limited impact to SOC. The first Tesla drive had V2G on the system integrated in the inverter and motor windings. The original architecture was not efficient and left behind with redesigns but there is value and was not intended to function like a power wall as a whole home backup.

Tesla : we just had record deliveries, profit, and will grow more than 50% this year
Wall St : who cares? Meta got heavily impacted by Apple's privacy policy. That's way more important for TSLA valuation.
GM "beat expectations". Yay, right? Somehow most reports aren't mentioning that EPS is down 30% YoY. While Tesla was up 217%.

Couldn't have happened to a better stock! They lost 10 billion on the "metaverse". Tesla could have built five factories with that. Facebook could have sent free VR goggles (good quality ones) to every user that puts in more than 15 minutes a day.

I hope this does not drill down Tesla stock too much, but I think we could actually see inflows because of it.
That's what I'm hoping. Funds and big money allocate some FB outflow into TSLA inflow. It's still tech after all.

Meanwhile I'm thinking it's probably more likely Google just stole Facebooks customers lol. It was such a big beat that it had to of come from somewhere.

This may sound bonkers, but is there a simple system available that can operate as a very inefficient power sharer from an EV (in an emergency) that involves raising the car off the ground and generating power from running the wheels across rollers etc that then generate electricity that can be fed into the house?

Obviously a lot of energy would be lost in the process, but something is better than nothing in some emergency situations I expect, and this would require no modification of an EV to achieve.
Cybertruck will have (presumably AC) power outlets.

In a major emergency one power outlet can be the difference,

In hot climates keeping the fridge/freezer going..

In cold climates some form of heating and allowing the household to boil water..

For V2G it is probably OK with an LFP chemistry as the cells will be happy to charge to 100% frequently and the car can make some money selling electricity at peak times. That is a lot to set up.

The AC outlet and perhaps some 12V and 48V outlets is cheaper to install and works fine with any battery type. If can be used in emergencies, including topping up a stranded EV driver, but it is also very useful for camping and occasionally for work.

I would probably pay and extra $500 for a car with a AC outlet, because occasionally it will be very handy, and in my case that is keeping the fridge going.
Even with solar + Powerwall, the car battery can be used to run the fridge and lights overnight keeping some charge in the Powerwall so it can help solar to start the next day. Once the sun comes up the Powerwall and solar can generate in Island mode, and that can run the house and perhaps top up the car during the day. Overnight you make the call dependent on how much charge is in the Powerwall, but if I was in a situation where the grid was likely to be out for a week or more, I would run overnight off the car outlet whenever I had the slightest doubt about the Powerwall SOC.

The next great step forward would be the car AC outlet being able charge the Powerwall and provide it with an initial frequency. That could bring a dead Powerwall + Battery system back to life. The technical aspects of this are a bit above my pay grade.

Last edited:
I know that many of you think robotaxis aren't happening anytime soon but Elon does. Elon doesn't care about whether TMC dudes want V2G enabled on their driveways. He has climate change to solve. That means most of the fleet being RTs and hooked up to Superchargers for charging / V2G for much of the day and crucially night when solar is off. The benefits are overwhelming - it would be a tragedy to do anything else.

V2H does not work. Homeowners won't want RTs constantly in and out to charge/discharge/pickup customers and they won't allow deep discharges in case of a possible power outage. Also Elon has said get a power wall.

V2G in a robotaxi world

A day in the futur I dream to buying Electrek and fire Fred because on the last article If you take a look on the graph phantoms breaking cases decrease since December and do you know last year Tesla sold record cars it's normal you have more cases because more cars.

Only growth and positive FCF matter. The rest is noise.

Only growth and positive FCF matter. The rest is noise.

Tesla is under attack again. The frequency of attacks with outdated or fundamentally insignificant subject matter has been sharply rising after a relatively calm period. This has happened repeatedly through TSLA history and is nothing new.

As usual, those who become unnerved, scared, worried, uncomfortable, etc. and use it as a reason to take some off the table or avoid adding to their holdings will leave billions on the table just as they have during every other major attack of this nature. Fear is the number one killer of portfolio returns. This will end just like it always does, with TSLA demand overwhelming all the FUD and rocketing sharply up. Before too long it will be pushing at new highs, the uncertainty and doubt clearly forgotten one more time. So predictable how this will end!