Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A day in the futur I dream to buying Electrek and fire Fred because on the last article If you take a look on the graph phantoms breaking cases decrease since December and do you know last year Tesla sold record cars it's normal you have more cases because more cars.
Maybe we should pool our funds and buy out Electrek? Like this post if I should start a new thread so we can discuss. If not, I'll keep ignoring ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Huskyf and Paul_SF
Tesla's main line updates are not declared as recalls.

Hear me out:
Before October 20, 2020, FSD was configured to full stop at stop signs. This is the legal standard.
Post Oct 20, assertive mode would purposely not fully stop at stop signs under certain conditions. This violates the legal standard.
NHTSA has an obligation to enforce regulations, laws, and standards as they currently exist.
Thus, once they were made aware of this rolling stop mode, they had no choice but to push for a reversion/ recall.
Since Oct 20 was a step change from legal to non-conforming, this reversion to the legal standard is a recall type event (versus just not being good at detecting stop signs). Recalls alert owners to a non-conforming condition (even though in this case, not an unsafe condition).

/me ducks and covers
It was an easy fix for Tesla, but imo if you look at the problem from a more objective view point it looks different:

1. Lots of companies offer some form of cruise control requiring supervision
2. None of these stops correctly at stop signs
3. Tesla slows down to 2mph, most of the other doesn’t slow down at all

Imo if Tesla fails to meet some requirement, then all of the competition also fails to meet the requirement. Just because it feels “wrong” when Tesla decides to act and slow down to 2mph rather than stop, doesn’t make not acting a good enough choice deserving less scrutiny.

Anyway, no real need to debate this. What’s incredible is how fast Tesla was able to fix the problem. Imagine how much longer it would take for competition to do this. If you have been working in a large company with biweekly sprints where you are not allowed to work outside of your task, sprint meetings, code review, several departments involved(one for control, one for UI, one for cloud, legal etc) you know how slow this process can be. Doubt VW, Toyota etc could have done the same thing in less than a few months even if they had a way to do OTA.

Here in BC EV’s are in super short supply and the name of the game is “waiting list”. Except Mach E’s. Lots of Ford lots with lots of Mach E’s. Walk in and drive out with a brand new Mach E. No waiting. And lots of advertising. Interesting.
I noticed the same in Quebec. Several of my team at work are actively looking to buy an EV (after 8 years of spreading the EV faith I feel some sense of accomplishment).

The only one who was able to get a car quickly (within a few weeks for vehicle prep and charging station install) bought a Mach-E from their local Ford dealer. Everyone else, who ordered Tesla or Hyundai vehicles have to wait 6+ months for delivery.

I noticed the same in Quebec. Several of my team at work are actively looking to buy an EV (after 8 years of spreading the EV faith I feel some sense of accomplishment).

The only one who was able to get a car quickly (within a few weeks for vehicle prep and charging station install) bought a Mach-E from their local Ford dealer. Everyone else, who ordered Tesla or Hyundai vehicles have to wait 6+ months for delivery.
Just wait til those convoys from Austin start heading north.

I needed a pick-me-up after the market action today. Perhaps this will please some the way it did me. Was at my Service Center today. Brand new MY Police Cruiser adjacent to my car when I arrived. Bonus points - my bi-annual service experience was very smooth. Dropped off at 9a. New experience for me - don’t leave key, just text space number. Car was done by 1p. When I arrived to pick it up I went in and asked Service Desk some questions - it was a Mobile Ranger staffing it, and got everything answered to my satisfaction. 👍👍

Attachments

• 5911C090-368A-4392-A612-EC9DDF3AAADE.jpeg
    5911C090-368A-4392-A612-EC9DDF3AAADE.jpeg
    599.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 554BCDC2-7BF0-4836-A39C-BF3728D6BA30.jpeg
    554BCDC2-7BF0-4836-A39C-BF3728D6BA30.jpeg
    659.3 KB · Views: 66
Kinda funny how they are reporting on an issue that peaked in November according to their own article and has been falling ever since. Electrek has been pushing Anti-Telsla FUD for as long as I've been following them. Didn't 10.9 pretty much eliminate phantom breaking?

The insider players could destroy a particular position, but they won't - because a specific position by a retail investor that's valued in the millions is just noise in a trillion dollar market. The large players or manipulators will optimize across positions that have highest overall profit, but they cannot do that on individual trades without creating opportunities for arbitrage.

Thus, the difference between individual investors and investors in aggregate. As a group, I agree options traders will lose. At the individual level, we very much disagree.
You misunderstood the point. It is not they target an individual investor but the actions themselves are taken without concern about the harm cause.

if you want to play the game please do. As an interest holder in one of those entities I benefit from people who are convinced they know how to win with these instruments. MM margins on derivative operations that I know exceed Apple, pretty nice when they rarely lose anything at all.

Kinda funny how they are reporting on an issue that peaked in November according to their own article and has been falling ever since. Electrek has been pushing Anti-Telsla FUD for as long as I've been following them. Didn't 10.9 pretty much eliminate phantom breaking?

Haven’t had true highway “phantom braking” in a long time. Older 3 and recent Y. Switch to vision only has been successful for us.

I'm missing the appeal of V2G. I want my battery full(ish) when I leave my garage. I don't want it at 25% or 50% or wherever my house or grid load put it. My car battery SOC needs to be a function of my driving needs.

I do understand the appeal as emergency, but Dahns passion for it confuses me

I've seen thousands of 24 kWh Nisssan Leafs for sale on the west coast for under $4,000 a piece in the past (when the 3 year lease returns all hit at the same time around 2015). As we move forward 30 kWh, 40 kWh, and higher becomes the norm in super cheap used cars.

If V2G were implemented I could take a used car at a few thousand and just plug it into my house instead of paying for a fresh powerwall.

Not the prettiest back yard or garage clutter but a used car makes great home power backup if everyone gets together and makes it a standard feature on cars going forward.

Imagine if you could get a crashed Tesla for $10,000 and get it certified for V2G and just plug it in and never make it drivable again. Better than putting it in a landfill or junkyard and cheaper than buying multiple powerwalls.

If Tesla doesn't want salvaged Tesla's on the road they could at least facilitate salvaged tesla's plugged into houses.

Not the prettiest back yard or garage clutter but a used car makes great home power backup if everyone gets together and makes it a standard feature on cars going forward.

Imagine if you could get a crashed Tesla for $10,000 and get it certified for V2G and just plug it in and never make it drivable again. Better than putting it in a landfill or junkyard and cheaper than buying multiple powerwalls.

If Tesla doesn't want salvaged Tesla's on the road they could at least facilitate salvaged tesla's plugged into houses.

Crashed cars are not safe makeshift home backup power solutions. Crashed cars are recycled for parts and materials (including the batteries). Unless this is you:

Who keeps breaking this phantom? Heck, how do you tell if a phantom is broken?

Does this also happen when braking the car?

Asking for a friend

I think we're getting close to being able to retire the acronym FAANG. I expect Amazon's to continue to disappoint for a while as well.

Anyone want to come up with a new acronym for Microsoft, Apple, Google, and Tesla?
MAAT (Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet, Tesla)

Coming this summer when TSLA passes AMZN in market cap.

I know that many of you think robotaxis aren't happening anytime soon but Elon does. Elon doesn't care about whether TMC dudes want V2G enabled on their driveways.

While RTs will happen, people who can afford it will also want their own cars. It’ll become a luxury to own your own car, but it’ll be a luxury that a lot of people want and can afford. And the move to RTs will be a slow adoption curve.

V2H does not work. Homeowners won't want RTs constantly in and out to charge/discharge/pickup customers and they won't allow deep discharges in case of a possible power outage. Also Elon has said get a power wall.

V2G in a robotaxi world

Elon is not always right, nor are people who try to interpret him. V2H will work just fine. Robotaxis won’t take over the world. Running a home off a car for several hours to a couple of days is a feature a lot of people will like. Deep discharges aren’t an issue, since emergency power outages do not happen often … no more than long car trips.