Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you’re right

You are completely wrong about that. I admit when I posted it I didn’t know how to read it probably but here’s the true information, RBC was down with 3000 reports every *minute* for five hours even the tellers said they’ve never seen anything like it before
View attachment 770151
Anybody who fails to understand how consequential this is is ignoring events of the last weeks. We need not consider this OT, because the significance of these events is pointing towards unprecedented economic consequences with direct negative effects for TSLA. Why? Even asking why indicates lack of understanding when we have just gone through a catastrophic atatck on both the US and Canadian economies. The DOS attack on Canadian banks is proof that the perpetrators are quite capable of similar attacks elsewhere. The very concentration of monetary transactions in Canada makes it an ideal demonstration case for further attacks elsewhere.

Tesla is directly under attack from the governments of South Korea and the US, plus California, among others. Almost all the publicity is carefully structured to make unjustified claims appear to be legitimate. While those events are not directly related to the Canadian banks nor the truckers they all help advance FUD.
That the odd tweet from Elon helps the detractors just adds a bit of fuel to the fire.

Without question we have a new era of global risk to consider. Panic is ill-advised, caution is strongly justified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why all the hatred for the Hummer EV???

Sure it’s inefficient, but it is still 100% electric and compared to a regular Hummer is an incredibly good vehicle for the environment.

I wouldn’t buy one of course, but we should be cheering on a revamp of any horrendous gas-guzzler into a pure EV model.
It's a horrendous electron-guzzler, and a symbol of American excess--that's why all the hatred. At least we have Elon and Tesla to offer the world as a counterbalance.

>> Without question we have a new era of global risk to consider

The old world is dying. For real. And it wont go down without a massive fight.
I have a hunch that elon's charity donation will turn out to be something quite profound ... what can one do with 5 billions? Quite something i guess ...

Imagine uncensored home schooling, uncensored op-eds, uncensored internet, if youtube showed us anything is that we live in a world of denial, fake news is a real thing.

Anybody who fails to understand how consequential this is is ignoring events of the last weeks. We need not consider this OT, because the significance of these events is pointing towards unprecedented economic consequences with direct negative effects for TSLA. Why? Even asking why indicates lack of understanding when we have just gone through a catastrophic atatck on both the US and Canadian economies. The DOS stack on Canadian banks is proof that the perpetrators are quite capable of similar attacks elsewhere. The very concentration of monetary transactions is Canada makes it an ideal demonstration case for further attacks elsewhere.

Tesla is directly under attack from the governments of South Korea and the US, plus California, among others. Almost all the publicity is carefully structured to make unjustified claims appear to be legitimate. While those events are not directly related to the Canadian banks nor the truckers they all help advance FUD.
That the odd tweet from Elon helps the detractors just adds a bit of fuel to the fire.

Without question we have a new era of global risk to consider. Panic is ill-advised, caution is strongly justified.
Yes, a funny from me. If you have to ask, you fail to understand what you just did.

Best defense is a good offense?

Better link I think:

If Elon believes he is speaking the truth, or giving his best estimate, that isn't a lie, merely being over optimistic..

Time to trot out the 60 minutes quote I guess?

Elon Musk on 60 Minutes in 2018 said:
People should not ascribe to malice that which can easily be explained by stupidity." (LAUGHTER) So-- so it's, like, just because I'm, like, dumb at-- at predicting dates does not mean I am untruthful. I don't know-- I-- we've-- I never made a mass-produced car. How am I supposed to know with precision when it's gonna get done?

Sub out "made a mass-produced car" for anything else he's never done... (or in cases like FSD or reusable rockets, something NOBODY has ever done) and the statement remains true.

THAT said- given Elon realizes he's "dumb at--at predicting dates"- maybe he shouldn't make his predictions public quite so often?

Let progress speak for itself- and it's done when it's done.

I think the Bolt coming back (or not), in any significant volume, will illustrate how well we really understand legacy auto EV profitability. I am in agreement that they likely don't make any/much money on the Bolt. Seems like the bad press forces it to sell for a reduced amount vs premium. The batteries are in short supply and valuable in any of higher margin trucks.

Aren't all the new EVs from GM using a different battery than the Bolt? (Ultium vs whatever they called the thing in the bolt?)

'They' have to come up with some sort of hit piece every day and that's just today's. There will be another along tomorrow.
Like a bad smell, if you're exposed to it long enough you don't smell it any more.
I think we're close to peak stink.
Agree. There has been a significant uptick in negative press and attempted regulatory action against FSD immediately following Elon's FSD prediction on the conference call.

Everyone should ask themselves if that's because the competition believes Elon's statements or not.

Spoiler: They believe them and this is their last ditch effort to slow or stop it. If they really thought that Elon was full of hot air... if they really thought that FSD had fatal design flaws, they'd just let FSD fail on its own. They know the truth and so are fighting for their corporate existence.

Best defense is a good offense?

Better link I think:

Letter to the court:
https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755/gov.uscourts.nysd.501755.61.0.pdf

#61 in United States Securities and Exchange Commission v. Musk (S.D.N.Y., 1:18-cv-08865) – CourtListener.com
We write to alert the Court to a pattern of conduct by the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”) that has gone beyond the pale. Simply stated, the SEC has failed to comply with its promise to pay Tesla’s shareholders the $40 million it collected as part of the settlement in these cases and that it purports to be holding for them. Instead, it has been devoting its formidable resources to endless, unfounded investigations into Mr. Musk and Tesla. We are respectfully requesting that the Court schedule a conference to address why the SEC has failed to distribute these funds to shareholders but has chosen to spend its energy and resources investigating Mr. Musk’s and Tesla’s compliance with the consent decree by issuing subpoenas unilaterally, without Court approval.
Basic complaint is the SEC is still sitting on the $40 million from the 2018 settlement and has not followed the court's instructions. Complaint about continued pursuit of Musk is a side point.

My sense of karma would love for the SEC to be fined an amount equivalent to TSLA gains since the penalty was paid. After all, that what shareholders would have done with the money.

If Elon believes he is speaking the truth, or giving his best estimate, that isn't a lie, merely being over optimistic..

Elon is WAY too smart to believe that those timelines were possible, given the then-present state of the software, and WAY too smart to believe that anybody could know, at that stage, what hardware would really be needed.

Aren't all the new EVs from GM using a different battery than the Bolt? (Ultium vs whatever they called the thing in the bolt?)
Yep, built by LG Chem though, whom also built the Bolt batteries. Once we can see an Ultium in the open, we'll see if it is competitive.

The shameless copying continues. This week alone, insurance and now this.

Also, remember their Ford chargers from a few weeks back?

In an evil twist, Ford will also allow pets to look through various images of squirrels, but they have to use the volume knob to change them.

Elon is WAY too smart to believe that those timelines were possible, given the then-present state of the software, and WAY too smart to believe that anybody could know, at that stage, what hardware would really be needed.
Elon has proven repeatedly that he is NOT way to smart to believe ridiculous things, especially when he thinks they will further his mission. Even a genius can be an idiot at times.

In an evil twist, Ford will also allow pets to look through various images of squirrels, but they have to use the volume knob to change them.
That is ridiculous.

Everyone knows Ford will use their new pet-brain interface chip, Urinal Leak, installed in your pet to allow them to control the vehicle's environment.

He really believes those timelines, I've sat in an engineering discussion with him many times where he's reasoned through timelines. He, however, does this as if 'he himself' is doing all the work as opposed to others, so to an outside observer he appears to be very optimistic. To his credit, he's never hit so many local maxima in such a complex system. NN training is hard even for relatively simplistic issues. This example is hard that I helped with, an AI based solution is still being pursued and it doesn't even compare to the size and scale of the FSD problem