Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe someone misunderstands what an APU is?

The pic I recall them citing showed a board with a discrete Navi 23 GPU on the S/X, then another board suggesting the Navi bit wasn't there on the 3/Y.

As I say I hope they clarify though-- I've seen a physical teardown of an S/X MCU from Ingineerex, but don't recall seeing one on a 3/Y.

If you stream to home resolution would be higher, though.

But OTOH, if you are not displaying in the car anyway, perhaps the FSD HW could chime in, e.g. on rendering of the world you are playing in etc?

FSD HW is not remotely optimized for that (nor is there remotely sufficient bandwidth between MCU and FSD for treating it like a GPU)

In fact kinda the point of FSD HW existing was they wanted a specialized solution for NNs, rather than using generic GPU HW to do it.

(similar case on the back end where they've said that Dojos success will be judged by the degree to which it can outperform the current GPU clusters at NN training)

Well, last time this came up someone (not me... @Singuy maybe?) cited to several sources showing no separate GPU on the 3/Y as compared to the S/X that has one.

Hopefully they'll chime back in and repost em.
A quick google finds this tweet claiming same GPU as S/X : So I would assume they decided that for a probable additional BOM of <$200 that they'd rather leverage greater parts commonality and probably better supply consistency via larger orders.

Though I'd be happy to upgrade my Atom powered Model 3 with just the Ryzen APU portion without GPU, I don't need to game in my car, but a less terrible experience in video apps and web browsing would be nice.

The gpu in the APU isn't that powerful. The cpu is first generation Zen 1 with a NAVI 22 gpu, both together effectively making it an APU. It actually needs that NAVI 24 gpu to play anything remotely heavy.
Again, it's all about resolution. Performance hit from running at game at 720p res is a fraction of running it at 1080p

Reactions: wtlloyd
The pic I recall them citing showed a board with a discrete Navi 23 GPU on the S/X, then another board
I dunno who you keep quoting for a source but they're wrong. I also dislike this idea of bs putting down the 3/Y like they couldn't have the same MCU as the S/X. And on a technical level, it's wasteful for Tesla to segment the MCU, incurring huge costs for multiple SOC. It makes no logical sense given the state of fabs and TSMC.

Reactions: TheTalkingMule
I was starting to think the Austin/Berlin openings would not affect SP with all the cross-currents and noise, but not after today!

I honestly don't think the factory status is causing the rise up today, it looks to me like most of the market is having a strong recovery today. Green energy more than others though, and that's including TSLA.

I don't expect Austin nor Berlin to impact the share price until their deliveries are added to the quarterly earnings reports.

I honestly don't think the factory status is causing the rise up today, it looks to me like most of the market is having a strong recovery today. Green energy more than others though, and that's including TSLA.

I don't expect Austin nor Berlin to impact the share price until their deliveries are added to the quarterly earnings reports.
Renewable energy is mostly the only thing up today. Most of the market is down. Looks like the Russia situation was the spark to make entire countries realize that they can't be dependent on a unstable source of energy/fuel. What we're seeing is a huge fundamental shift happening in the matter of a few days/weeks.

No matter if Russia backs down at this point, the wheels are set in motion and coincidentally, Tesla is the only company at scale to be able to address any country's needs. I genuinely think the events of the past 1-2 weeks have guaranteed Tesla higher growth over the next 5 years than even we thought was possible. This is how Tesla Energy gets bigger than the auto side.

I do however thing that the Berlin news forced the issue to not try and hold TSLA down while other EV stocks rally higher.

Last edited:
No.1 Gainer in the S&P 500 today is SolarEdge Technologies (+11.2%), while the No.1 Loser is EPAM Systems (-44.0%), a software/tech company who's founder/CEO was born and eduated in Minsk, Belarus.

Justice is also best served cold.

Cheers!
20220228 SEDG BUY.jpg

Good things come to those who wait?

Patience is a virtue?

Should have sold it when it was at 360 in November?

Had a bunch of Solar for a while. SEDG and ENPH have made up for the disasters like SUNE. And Elon made up for SCTY. Man, I can't wait to get my 0.32 cents from that lawsuit, Elon screwed me so bad when he made me exchange my SCTY shares for TSLA stock in the 40s.

On Jan 26, 2021, Artful Dodger wrote about the latest round of TSLA hell:

Well folks, our little tribe is now well into our 5th year since the advent of Model 3 production in Fremont. Having come through this latest Plague on our House, this is an appropriate time to update the Canonical List of TLSA Annual Penance™:
  • 2018- "Production Hell"
  • 2019- "Logistics Hell"
  • 2020- "Covid Hell"
  • 2021- "Hell hath no Burry"
  • 2022- "War is Hell"
So then, what will next year bring? Frogs? Locusts? Smaug? And more importantly, are we half-way there yet?! What will 2027 be like? ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

So, what do you think? What will the next 5 years bring? Here's my expectations:
  • 2023 – Cowboys From Hell
  • 2024 – Highway To Hell
  • 2025 – Run like Hell
  • 2026 – Hell to Pay
  • 2027 – Hell Yeah
Cheers to the Longs!

#Logistics Hell

Last edited:
This Vix spiking up 13% with the market not being very volatile is weird. Are people confused but at the same time don't want to pull their money out of the market?

People are probably confused. But I think at this point after we already had a number of weeks of decline. It cleaned out the weaker hands. Now we have the more stable stronger holders that are taking a longer and deeper look at all the confusion out there…