Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The technology to do this, and to network lights together to improve flow has been something that could have been implemented two or three decades ago.

I've been waiting for it, knowing that it was already possible, for almost forever it seems.

This is a lot like waiting for existing tech to come up to speed in legacy auto OEMs' offerings over the same time period.
But at what cost. How much would it have cost to install the sensors and the networking 3 decades ago? If Tesla can do passive optical in the traffic light and wireless communication between the traffic lights, it would cost a lot less than digging weight sensors under the asphalt including the cost to shut down traffic.

Also Tesla can probably monetize the information they gather… At it sure would be useful to track troop movements in wartime.

Would anyone happen to know how big of a team you need to install a 1MW or 5MW solar farm? I keep reading that a 1MW solar system could be installed in 2-5 days. I'm wondering how many people it'd take to tackle on huge, singular projects to manufacture these solar farms to power countries.

I see so many articles on land needed and costs, but little in terms of people power to get this done.

Edit: Found it - 4 people, 1 day. How many workers are needed to put up a 1 megawatt solar farm?

Edit x2:

4 Peta Watts annual to power the US
1 MW system = 1.44 Gwh annual produced Link
2,777,778 1MW solar farms installed.

If it takes 4 people, 1 day for 1MW solar farm...then, hiring 10,000 employees would equate to ~3 years to build enough solar farms to power the entire US in perpetuity.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're looking at a solar "article" from Vivint and a nuclear video from Gates. These two entities are as slanted as it gets toward their agenda.

Vivint is basically the enemy of solar. They're interested in sales commissions, not scaling solar installs.

Gates was the richest human on the planet, but for some reason needs tons of govt money to test out new wildly expensive nuclear tech.

Solar. Wind. Storage. All interconnected logically and efficiently at scale. Go!

You're looking at a solar "article" from Vivint and a nuclear video from Gates. These two entities are as slanted as it gets toward their agenda.

Vivint is basically the enemy of solar. They're interested in sales commissions, not scaling solar installs.

Gates was the richest human on the planet, but for some reason needs tons of govt money to test out new wildly expensive nuclear tech.

Solar. Wind. Storage. All interconnected logically and efficiently at scale. Go!

Ok, then do you have a better link to get the data? That was the top article on DuckDuckGo...

Tomorrow sure is going to be interesting.........pre-markets down 1.5%-2%.

Both Nasdaq and S&P are about 2-2.5% from the lows they set a couple weeks ago. Either it holds, which sets a double bottom, and a strong floor........or they fall through and there's another leg down.

Shame that Q1's P/D numbers are still a month away. I'm sure the market will keep hammering TSLA even though high gas/energy prices are a bullish thing for Tesla's business. At these gas/energy prices, Tesla is definitely sold out a year from now, if not through the end of 2023.

I'm a Tesla investor so obviously I'm biased...........but if you had told me the dynamics at play would be - A company has a product which counters high gas prices and said company is the only company that can produce that product at scale for the foreseeable future (next 2-3 year minimum) with margins that greatly exceed the average in the industry, I would imagine that stock would be soaring in this environment......instead of down 32% from its high.
I think the fear of escalation is holding the market back as Vix has been at 30+ for a week straight. There's recognition that all of this is bullish for green energy as we had a rally last week. So I do believe there will be a solid turn around for Tesla after nuclear war is off the table. I mean given the fact that there's a nuclear war risk and the total collapse of the Russian economy, the market has been holding up decently.

Ok, then do you have a better link to get the data? That was the top article on DuckDuckGo...
Solar can be installed at any scale super cheaply and super easily. Large scale arrays often bid in the region of $.01-$.04/kWh provided over the length of the contract. Usually 10/15/20 years. Direct costs to install is about $.7-$1/Watt.

Solar is cheap and easy, it's the politics and corruption that are in the way.

I think the fear of escalation is holding the market back as Vix has been at 30+ for a week straight. There's recognition that all of this is bullish for green energy as we had a rally last week. So I do believe there will be a solid turn around for Tesla after nuclear war is off the table. I mean given the fact that there's a nuclear war risk and the total collapse of the Russian economy, the market has been holding up decently.
Very happy to see the VIX peak and start a decline, but in March 2020 it had to go into the 60's before peaking, but what happened after that was very pretty indeed.

Screenshot 2022-03-06 5.57.43 PM.png

Why the **** is he not promoting solar and batteries!?! I've seen him promote oil and gas and now nuclear.

Nuclear is ****ing ridiculous.

He’s not saying to build new nuclear facilities. It’s just to get us through this Russia situation. Solar and batteries cannot ramp fast enough to cover the needs of the Russia boycott. (Trying to prevent a recession due to high energy costs.)

He’s not saying to build new nuclear facilities. It’s just to get us through this Russia situation. Solar and batteries cannot ramp fast enough to cover the needs of the Russia boycott. (Trying to prevent a recession due to high energy costs.)
And what did we do during WWII? We moved our asses to create whatever we needed right? Right?

Ridiculous. He should be telling everyone in the energy industry to get the hell off of oil ASAP.

This is just "business as usual" and then once things settle down, then the transition can resume....bah-hahahaha

Last edited:
Thoughts on what TSLA will do if oil prices continue to rise?

ICE cars will certainly become more expensive to drive. Will demand for Tesla cars remain strong even if Tesla needs to increase purchase price of the vehicles (to offset increased mfg/parts costs)? If the demand for Tesla cars remains high, it seems like high oil would be net positive for TSLA.

I'd be surprised if dormant nukes could be restarted quickly enough to be effective.

And what did we do during WWII? We moved our asses to create whatever we needed right? Right?

Ridiculous. He should be telling everyone in the energy industry to get the hell off of oil ASAP.

This is just "business as usual" and then once things settle down, then the transition can resume....hahahaha
Uhhhhhh you realize that the world can't just switch off of oil right? You do realize that the entire world is coming out of a pandemic where supplies and supply chains have to be restarted. The unfortunate truth is that the supply chains aren't set up for renewable to take on much bigger percentage of fuel/energy needs in just a few months.......it's impossible

Tesla will sell everything they make, from cars to powerwalls........just like they were going to do before all this started happening. Because the demand was already there. No other auto maker can scale and they won't be able to scale for years.

View attachment 777664

Almost 100% of the replies, almost all of them fanboys, including ones like Whole Mars, are calling out Elon on this. They all point out, the interventions are nothing close to rare. It has gotten better, but rare? hell no. Not even close, is the verdict by everyone on that tweet thread.
Elon drives alpha ;) and likely in TX and no longer in LA
everyone else drives beta :)

2 WACKS ;) ;)

Thoughts on what TSLA will do if oil prices continue to rise?

ICE cars will certainly become more expensive to drive. Will demand for Tesla cars remain strong even if Tesla needs to increase purchase price of the vehicles (to offset increased mfg/parts costs)? If the demand for Tesla cars remains high, it seems like high oil would be net positive for TSLA.
The market is completely disconnected by fear at the moment.

The reality is that it just makes the odds of Tesla selling everything they make 100% instead of 99%. Tesla order backlogs are already 8-12 months out around the world, they can't just increase prices and see it flow to their bottom line. Tesla honors the pricing of current orders.

The only thing Tesla can do right now in terms of maximizing profits/margins is to prioritize higher trim on the production lines. As for increased mfg/cost of goods, Tesla offsets those through efficiency and reducing cost of goods in other areas. They did it all throughout 2021.

Uhhhhhh you realize that the world can't just switch off of oil right? You do realize that the entire world is coming out of a pandemic where supplies and supply chains have to be restarted. The unfortunate truth is that the supply chains aren't set up for renewable to take on much bigger percentage of fuel/energy needs in just a few months.......it's impossible

Tesla will sell everything they make, from cars to powerwalls........just like they were going to do before all this started happening. Because the demand was already there. No other auto maker can scale and they won't be able to scale for years.
Of course not, but a swift transition while lowering our supply should be done.

This is not about Tesla selling every single one of their products, it's about lighting a match under everyone else's asses.