Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter: "Hate to say it, but we need to increase oil & gas output immediately. Extraordinary times demand extraordinary measures." / Twitter

Elon is on record saying even if he could turn off all fossil fuel use tomorrow, he would not do so because the World needs the energy right now. But that isn't the issue, it's the speed of the inevitable transition to renewable energy. “By putting a price on carbon, we are fixing a pricing error in the marketElon said in Paris in 2016.

“If countries decide to do a carbon tax or cap and trade, and it is real and not watered-down and weak, I think we can see a transition that is in the 15 to 20 years time frame as supposed to 40 to 50 years time frame."​

To go beyond words, let's look at whether Elon has 'walked the walk' on carbon pricing in the past 5 years. As you may know, Elon recently donated $100M dollars to the Carbon X Prize society ($50M to the winner) for competing tech to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. Let's price carbon at $50/ton (a commonly-selected carbon price around the world). $50M buys about 1M tons of carbon removal (equivalent to buying $50M in carbon offsets), plus carbon-removal tech advancement as a bonus.

Now let's look at SpaceX emissions. Each Falcon9 uses about 400 tons of propellant, so emits 400 tons of C02 per launch. How many launches are covered by $50M in carbon offsets. About 2,500 launches. How many Falcon 9 launches have their been so far? About 100. So clearly Elon is 'walking the walk' just not crowing about it (and oddly, neither is BLOOMBERG covering this). In effect, Elon personally has paid to make F9 carbon neutral, and has made a substantial pre-payment on future launches (this also covers Elon's private jet travel, and likely much of Tesla, but I don't have a simple way to estimate Tesla's manufacturing carbon intensity)

I do note that future Starship and Superheavy will use methalox propellants, which should further reduce the carbon intensity of rocket launches, when rated on tons of carbon emitted per tons of cargo delivered to low Earth orbit (LEO).

As usual, Elon has done his homework, reached the correct decision, and is acting with the courage of his convictions. What more could we ask of our CEO? Why don't we get this from our Politicians?

Cheers!
Green H2 company is proposing a large production facility near Starbase. Combined with atmospheric CO2, this could produce carbon-neutral methane for Stairship.

It's not about regulations but available local water supply.

Thanks for the information, but I disagree. The mines were authorized to consume <this_amount> of water. So far as I know, they did not drill the water table, they pulled way more water from the water utility than allowed. If this is correct, it is a regulatory violation in the sense that the governing entities gave them an allowance that they exceeded. By far.

You couldn't shoot down The Atlantic article (claiming Elon's Starlink effort is self-serving BS) more effectively than to have Zelensky Tweet to the world how grateful he is for what Elon is saying and doing.

So, you're saying Elon's gift of satellite communications gear was not a secret plan to make it easier for Russian munitions to home in on those using it? 🤪

Who woulda thunk? :oops:

/s

How about we lift the sanctions from Venezuela?
Seriously, it will take years to rebuild their severely degraded infrastructure. Everyone qualified left, of every nationality. Those people ended out in other Americas locations from Mexico, US, Brazil, even Western Canada. Iran is in great shape in comparison. My Info is second and from sources I think to be reliable, but I personally do not know.