Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Growth stocks are getting liquidated
irrespective of growth prospects
and P/E ratio .

The Market fears a recession as a confluence
of events imply greater risk of an economic downturn.

Cash depreciates, bonds yield nothing and stocks are risky.
Never seen this scenario where there is no safe haven.
Residential real estate seems to be the only safe haven. I have friends and acquaintances leveraging up to buy multi-unit rental properties, refusing to renew existing leases, making minor "improvements", and severely jacking up rents.

• Informative
Reactions: Paul_SF
Claims solar prices are rising by comparing an estimate from last year to today. More BS...

"Pricing a system in Southern California, right now, results in a price of $2.31 per watt:"
"When I priced the same system for the same location last year, I got a price per watt of $1.98 per watt, which is consistent with the rest of the industry having to raise prices, too."

But then it also claims of recent increases the past few weeks. Was there?

"The prices have crept up over the last year, but several potential buyers have notified us of a big price increase that appears to have been adopted by Tesla over the last week."

My 10.54kW system with 2 Powerwalls from a year ago is the same cost as the now 9.60kW system with 2 Powerwalls here in NJ. There is a difference of $73.

Yeehaw Elon!!! Go get that motherfrunker. Putin needs to go. Elon is the only leader willing to publicly challenge Putin.
This is most likely him joking around and this will most likely never happen, but I am proud that he is willing to risk his life for the future of Ukraine.

You all need to chill and enjoy the show. Stop whining. Let's see you challenge Putin to a duel.... yeah that's right, you are scared to do so.

Not good for EV adoption in the US.
Very bullish for Tesla though, as it is now the only practical game in town.

Paid for by big oil; he prefers hydrogen...

Truly remarkable. I wonder how long until Elon points out the foolishness of the argument?

Are you telling me I should be able to get a MX Plaid for 6969 potatoes? That's a good deal... gotta figure out the cheapest way to transport 6969 potatoes.
1647283724100.png

here in Idaho we've perfected the means of growing and transporting potatoes. But to be fair, I really think we should be able to pay for our plaids based on total potato mass rather than number...

I’ll only make this one post on the subject - but it looks likely that Shanghai and other large cities will also enter a lockdown to avoid what is happening in Hong Kong from also happening in those cities.

This could mean a temporary factory shutdown for Tesla.

For those that haven’t been following the news (understandable due to Ukraine dominating the news cycle) - Omicron has had a devastating impact on Hong Kong over the last few weeks with deaths approaching that experienced in Italy in early 2020, and mainland China has only slightly better conditions in terms of the unvaccinated / poor vaccine protection compared to what Hong Kong had. (Essentially the zero Covid policy led to many elderly being comfortable enough to not get vaccinated, and those that did were given the crappy sinovac vaccine, leaving the population extremely vulnerable to Omicron.)

see this excellent twitter thread explaining the situation:

I’ll only make this one post on the subject - but it looks likely that Shanghai and other large cities will also enter a lockdown to avoid what is happening in Hong Kong from also happening in those cities.

This could mean a temporary factory shutdown for Tesla.

For those that haven’t been following the news (understandable due to Ukraine dominating the news cycle) - Omicron has had a devastating impact on Hong Kong over the last few weeks with deaths approaching that experienced in Italy in early 2020, and mainland China has only slightly better conditions in terms of the unvaccinated / poor vaccine protection compared to what Hong Kong had. (Essentially the zero Covid policy led to many elderly being comfortable enough to not get vaccinated, and those that did were given the crappy sinovac vaccine, leaving the population extremely vulnerable to Omicron.)

see this excellent twitter thread explaining the situation:

I have family and friends in HK. People there are more scared of the vaccine than the virus. They think the vaccine will kill them while the virus will just make them sick. Some of them would rather quit their jobs than get vaccinated.

Growth stocks are getting liquidated
irrespective of growth prospects
and P/E ratio .

The Market fears a recession as a confluence
of events imply greater risk of an economic downturn.

Cash depreciates, bonds yield nothing and stocks are risky.
Never seen this scenario where there is no safe haven.
If the Fed too now fears recession there should be fewer rate hikes (more dovish) … and market will react positively

Last edited:

Last week I saw an article saying Oil cartel was concerned that high oil prices would shift demand to EV's.
So maybe some of the TSLA drop can be explained by the oil drop as well ....

The plunge in oil prices has more to do with China locking down. Add in a collapsing property bubble, the worst demographics in the world, and an administration that is unfriendly to property rights (especially foreign ones).

It has to do with investors realizing that China with Xi at the helm is ultimately as uninvestable as Putin’s Russia.

Xi has ruined China’s progress in pursuit of becoming emperor.

If the Fed too now fears recession there should be fewer rate hikes (more dovish) … and market will react positively
It is an absolute slam dunk that there will be fewer rate hikes. Demand destruction on a daily basis with current oil prices. I wonder what the proportion is e.g. 10 dollar in oil increase worth half a point in interest rate hike re: consumer demand. Of course, you would have to factor in time at that price, and the higher the overall price of oil, the more of an impact another 10 dollar hike would probably have. That would be an interesting stat.

Anyway, all news is bad news right now.

Think China COVID situation might be driving a lot of what we are seeing today. Two years into the pandemic and it appears that Omicron is about to rip through the whole country. Two thirds of over 80 unvaccinated? One third that is vaccinated got Sinovac which is not as effective as the mRNA vaccines. Wow. China shutdown? This is an issue for sure.

A lot of fear out there right now.

View attachment 780838

View attachment 780839

I think we are almost there. The weekly RSI for the QQQ is near March 2020 level. One more dump and the SPY will reach 100 week moving average. TSLA's 100 moving average is $638. Once we get down there a lot of short term traders will hopefully exit.

Brutal day in the market. Really great buying opportunity for TSLA though given all the positives for the company happening later this year! :cool:
Amazing to me that people can still say that and still have dry power after the past 4 months of “great buying opportunities”.

Not really disagreeing, but it’s been a common refrain the whole way down from 1200.

I think we are almost there. The weekly RSI for the QQQ is near March 2020 level. One more dump and the SPY will reach 100 week moving average. TSLA's 100 moving average is $638. Once we get down there a lot of short term traders will hopefully exit.
We're almost where??

I never quite seem to know what's going on...

I spent the better part of a few months convincing my neighbor to buy and invest in Tesla and he was almost there. I was worn down with the video links, talks and debunking. His biggest issue is Elon's "maturity" as it is for some. I saw him walking his dog this AM and he said "I'm out".

Haha! It looks like your neighbor played you like a cheap violin. He saw that you wanted him to do something really bad, that you were trying to convince him to buy TSLA, and he felt it would be fun to simply play along, as if he was open to it. He's probably secretly jealous of your financial success but lacks enough understanding of the situation to know it will happen all over again.

Tesla doesn't need your neighbor to buy a Tesla or to buy TSLA. When the stock invariably takes off on it's next bull run, he will be left behind, once again, and you will have the last laugh. It's a near certainty. But don't rub it in, you will want to demonstrate to your neighbor who was unable to pull the trigger on a truly good investment, that you are even more mature than the man he despises. Because he is obviously a person who puts a high premium on things like appearing mature.

Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. Nobody likes a stick in the mud.

Absolutely. :)

Elon should watch his Twitter lead as this guy may get on Twitter as well and he made it to SNL this weekend. Millions of views and growing.

I spent the better part of a few months convincing my neighbor to buy and invest in Tesla and he was almost there. I was worn down with the video links, talks and debunking. His biggest issue is Elon's "maturity" as it is for some. I saw him walking his dog this AM and he said "I'm out". People should not be out with Tesla they should be "in". He heard about this tweet and it frustrated him as he is concerned about the volatility of this war and how this made him feel. I have concerns as well as I have relatives whose homes and lives are being destroyed. As someone that spent a month in Moscow last year in a home of a person that worked at the highest levels of government I can say this makes me feel really disappointed to say the least and more so as an advocate and investor. This is Putin machismo behavior, it's his way of thinking and his mentality and I get any intended irony or attempted humor but it's not the place. Elon supporting Ukraine with his other efforts is the correct path that reaps many benefits the world over and it is a bold and strategic move that demonstrates leadership. This tweet does not do that and adds little where it matters. We need more clean leadership it's good for everyone. Let the Greek hazing begin.
Good thing you didn’t convince him to buy in at 1200... He’d have loosed that dog on you this morning and you wouldn’t be around to accept his grateful thanks when it hits 1800 early next year.

It is an absolute slam dunk that there will be fewer rate hikes. Demand destruction on a daily basis with current oil prices. I wonder what the proportion is e.g. 10 dollar in oil increase worth half a point in interest rate hike re: consumer demand. Of course, you would have to factor in time at that price, and the higher the overall price of oil, the more of an impact another 10 dollar hike would probably have. That would be an interesting stat.

Anyway, all news is bad news right now.

Think China COVID situation might be driving a lot of what we are seeing today. Two years into the pandemic and it appears that Omicron is about to rip through the whole country. Two thirds of over 80 unvaccinated? One third that is vaccinated got Sinovac which is not as effective as the mRNA vaccines. Wow. China shutdown? This is an issue for sure.

I hope the Fed sees this the way you are. If not, the "extra" rate hikes would put us exactly where we were in the late 70s/early 80s. Inflation with demand destruction.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger