Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's so important about protecting $1100.00 on a Tuesday?
Maybe the important part is to keep SP below the psychological barriers that these round numbers appear to be. As soon as SP passes and closes above such a round number, my impression is that SP tends to move more easily up towards the next round number, as the market «gets used to» the new hundred-range. So it might be a less costly strategy capping it right below 1100 (especially on a low volume day) than letting the SP loose and work it down from a higher point later in the week. 🤔

Pretty small trading range today

IMO yesterday took a lot of the potential for a surge next Monday (following Q1 P&D announcement). Every day we get like today rebuilds some of that potential.

Does anyone know the industry expected numbers? Factset or whatever?
"Wall Street currently expects first-quarter deliveries to fall between 310,000 and 320,000 units. That is up from about 309,000 vehicles delivered in the fourth quarter of 2021."

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote Tuesday that he believes the “Buy-side consensus” is roughly 322,000 vehicles."

Maybe the important part is to keep SP below the psychological barriers that these round numbers appear to be. As soon as SP passes and closes above such a round number, my impression is that SP tends to move more easily up towards the next round number, as the market «gets used to» the new hundred-range. So it might be a less costly strategy capping it right below 1100 (especially on a low volume day) than letting the SP loose and work it down from a higher point later in the week. 🤔
Maybe give them time to get out of positions before letting the SP loose.

Volume barely average today. That surprises me.

1.41M shares in the pre-Market though. And peak SP $1,124.27 at 05:25 a.m. (well before most Retail investors are allowed onto the paddock). This smacks of naked-short-covering by Options Market Makers, who later pounched at the Open to ensure that Retail doesn't get a taste of the good stuff.

TSLA.2022-03-29.05-25.Hi.png

I'll do another run in my economics model, using today's pre-Market peak SP as a proxy for the equilibrium SP w/o phantom shares. This is a lower-limit estimate for the proportion of naked short shares circulating ATM. As always, complete speculation because Brokers, FINRA and NASDAQ have carefully chosen which data is NOT released (making direct estimates impossible)

This is not the same as the NASDAQ Short Interest report. That is legitimate (well, legally-allowed) short selling. What I'm after is an estimate of how much of this 'ice-berg' is lurking beneath the waterline.

Last edited:
Ignorant question - outside of improved regulatory oversight, is their a counter-mechanism to offset the capping. Could another firm or sufficiently wealthy individual(s) do the reverse of the capping to counter their actions?

'Capping' tries to create the appearance that there are more Sellers waiting than Buyers. The only Market remedy for this is Volume. That's why Shortzes got steam-rolled yesterday with 34.2M shares traded.

Thus, capping is used as a way to frighten weak longs and day traders into dropping their shares at a lower price. Once the ball start rolling down-hill they just short as required to hit their tgts.

Best part / silver lining for Retail? Well, just know that shortzes DO NOT want to kill the Golden Goose. Shortzes DEPEND on the price going back up regularly so they can short again. It's how they make money, and why they they pay for FUD: it's how they created the churn.

If you have time, relax and ignore the froth. If you are still building a position, keep your powder dry and BTFD! In 5 of the last 5 years, shortzes have provided a 40-60% discount during H1. They are more predicable than the Monsoon. :p

Cheers!

Last edited:
If you have time, relax and ignore the froth. If you are still building a position, keep you powder dry the BTFD! Five of the last five years, shortzes have provided a 40-60% discount during Q1. They're more predicable than the Monsoon. :p
Hopefully the big dip late last year into the beginning of this year was this year's discount season.

As much as I like discounts, no dry powder at the moment and not excited about seeing another this soon.

Hopefully the big dip late last year into the beginning of this year was this year's discount season.

As much as I like discounts, no dry powder at the moment and not excited about seeing another this soon.

I see you joined TMC in 2021. Are you still building a position? Personally, I'm coming up on 4 yrs in TSLA in a few weeks, and as of today my investment has yielded 108.2% CAGR. Unheard of (unless you're a cat)!

I was hoping for 50% (in my wildest dreams). Only ~10% of my gains are from swing trading, which I don't need to do anymore (that's 2 steps fwd, 1 step back). Now at 18.3x total ROI, so I just HODL!

Good luck! TSLA is the nearest thing to a money printer I have ever seen. And its :cool:

Cheers!

I see you joined TMC in 2021. Are you still building a position? Personally, I'm coming up on 4 yrs in TSLA in a few weeks, and as of today my investment has yielded 108.2% CAGR. Unheard of (unless you're a cat)!

I was hoping for 50% (in my wildest dreams). Only ~10% of my gains are from swing trading, which I don't need to do anymore (that's 2 steps fwd, 1 step back). Now at 18.3x total ROI, so I just HODL!

Good luck! TSLA is the nearest thing to a money printer I have ever seen. And its :cool:

Cheers!
Not building my position. I had a bit of a kernel for about 18 months with the bulk of my holdings in Apple, Amazon, and a few other stocks.

Late last year I liquidated a bunch of stuff and did some FOMO Tesla buying too high and then got burned a bit... fortunately I'd kept enough Apple shares to have some to liquidate and move to TSLA LEAPs when the SP was $840. Wish I'd caught it a bit lower, but it'll do.

About 80% TSLA now.

'Capping' tries to create the appearance that there are more Sellers waiting than Buyers. The only Market remedy for this is Volume. That's why Shortzes got steam-rolled yesterday with 34.2M shares traded.

Thus, capping is used as a way to frighten weak longs and day traders into dropping their shares at a lower price. Once the ball start rolling down-hill they just short as required to hit their tgts.

Best part / silver lining for Retail? Well, just know that shortzes DO NOT want to kill the Golden Goose. Shortzes DEPEND on the price going back up regularly so they can short again. It's how they make money, and why they they pay for FUD: it's how they created the churn.

If you have time, relax and ignore the froth. If you are still building a position, keep your powder dry and BTFD! In 5 of the last 5 years, shortzes have provided a 40-60% discount during H1. They are more predicable than the Monsoon. :p

Cheers!
When will they give up and finally let us back to the 1200s? Those were much better days. Remember? So long ago it seems 😌!

"Wall Street currently expects first-quarter deliveries to fall between 310,000 and 320,000 units. That is up from about 309,000 vehicles delivered in the fourth quarter of 2021."

"Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas wrote Tuesday that he believes the “Buy-side consensus” is roughly 322,000 vehicles."

Is it just me or does this seem very low? Tesla has been growing production every quarter since Q2 2020 and I expect the same this quarter. Q1 is typically a slow quarter for car sales but demand seems to be at an all time high so I don't expect the slow Q1 to affect Tesla. I do feel sorry for the big SUV manufacturers, with gas prices where they are I don't expect large ICE SUV sales to be doing well.

A big miss by analysts (no surprise there, they've been missing for 10 years) would be another catalyst for an already hot $TSLA