Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I could think of a reason. In the employee stock purchase plan, I believe employees get to buy stock at a (15%?) discount from the lowest price through the quarter. If you are staying long, short term «stock crash» has a very positive impact on employee’s returns. One could say they are entering the market with perfect timing.

The employees are Teslas (and TSLAs) most valuable asset, so they *should* be rewarded well ☺️
I agree, but couldn't Tesla just provide a bigger discount to employees to better reward them?

In an attempt to answer my own question, that would probably show up as a bigger expense on the income statement instead of just lessening the proceeds that Elon receives from the sales. (And lessening the proceeds of others who decide to sell, either voluntarily or involuntarily, i.e. those over-leveraged individuals I worry about most in this community.) Maybe a quick lesson on employee stock options from one of our many experts would be appropriate...otherwise I'll Google it!

Hopefully y’all stacked em deep and stacked em cheap during this little sale!
😎

Ha, no! My last buys were near the end of February at prices even Elon selling billions of dollars in a few short days couldn't achieve. Two months ago, shares were selling sub $800 so I loaded up. I had no idea Elon was about to buy Twitter but it wouldn't have mattered - the shares were cheaper two months ago.

It's all good, I don't fret over the little bounces, I just buy as much as I can handle when the prices seem good and watch my net worth balloon over time. Since I know that I don't know what the share price will do in the short-term, I like to think in terms of "chunks" of shares. Scoop them in when they seem cheap and hold them when they seem expensive (unless I need money to live on). It's like one big money pump.

Well I was wrong, I thought Elon would fund these via loans against his Tesla stock

Still whatever, in the stock market it is better to be decisive than right! Still very happy to have picked up some cheap shares.

At the end of the day, all this is noise and only important if someone is thinking of buying or selling. I think I am going to lock up my shares now for a few years and put some alerts on if the share price goes above or below certain amounts.

I am getting a little tired of following Tesla news every day for 1-2 hours per day. Think I am going to limit it to the Quarterly calls and the odd rainy Sunday YouTube blast :)
i have tried this ... you wont last a week ;)

Lora slowly adjusting her top notch journalism on CNBCs front page. Now up to "Musk sold about $8.4B". Maybe she'll get to $12B sometime tomorrow.

I bet she sees this higher figure as a negative and rushed to update it with glee. The higher the better!

True, but for years she tried to paint a picture of Tesla and Elon being a loser. Shoddy cars, no buyers, no money, no success. Little does she know, all she is doing is implanting the association of Tesla with producing a lot of money and wealth. She is cementing in peoples minds that Elon Musk and Tesla represent incredible success and productivity and that all her earlier reporting was bull-pucky. She might as well just come out and say her earlier reporting was full of sugar!

@Max Plaid said: I think the issue here isn't the selling, but rather the mechanism and frequency... why crash the SP when this could have been facilitated though the banks or dark pools?

🙄

1. Elon wasn’t sitting on the toilet pushing the sell button on his phone APP all day.
2. Someone did it for him and Elon paid for them to do it.
3. Someone followed his instructions how to do it - ie., get it done asap.
4. That someone has a big mouth and told all their friends, who told all their friends, who all then executed a bunch of plays in conjunction with the sales so as to make as much money as possible for themselves.
5. All those people are laughing at us while sipping champagne and eating caviar.

I’ll give you one guess who those people work for.
I think you might be right, and it would be very wrong for anyone to chastise you for not making it clear that this is your opinion and for not offering proof of your allegations.

Couple of Tesla-related tidbits that I saw on Twitter last few days but were lost in the noise of the stock and blue bird stuff. Completely rumor but from semi-notable sources so worth filing away without further speculation:

- Troy disclosed a rumor that the robotaxi will have 6 seats

- Seems like a new GF location may be known to some in the community, with hints that it is not necessarily an expected location. I will say this latter thread could have just been fluff mostly trying to bait Elon into revealing something during a stock swoon, but nonetheless I mention it. I believe it originated from one of the fairly well known Tesla Twitter people but not someone who posts a ton…would have to go digging through my timeline to find.

There is no evidence whatsoever that Elon is selling any TSLA shares. TSLA is moving with the market on one of the worst down days for the NASDAQ this year. So why make up reasons? Not to mention that it would be moronic for Elon to sell TSLA shares today to pay for a transaction that won't go through for months, if ever...
Apparently my made-up reason had some validity.

Shares only have "granularity" in terms of the cost of a single share when looked at from a very small-time retail player with miniscule financial resources. This is the reason often provided for splitting the stock. As soon as you move up the scale, not even to the "whale" level, the share price has no significant granularity. It is inconsequential. A pond filled with more smaller shares makes the same kind of waves as a pond filled with fewer, larger shares. It's a big pond.
Thanks for your comment.

I wonder a bit about the rationale of the DOW 30 related to the (modest) share price. Seems a bit like an effort to equalize the impact of volume trading across the members to capture a more stabilized market trend.

Another possible example is Doge which emotionally at least appears more stable (low waves) than some of the more higher priced competitors.

It seems highly unlikely to have even a 9 to 1 dividend but it has me exploring questions I’ve never pondered.

With all the money pouring out of Amazon, I wonder if there is a faster growing company that the market could invest in? 🤔

Maybe a company that has 1 product line sold out until next year....
"Tesla adjusted delivery estimates of select Model Y variants in the United States. The Pearl White and Midnight Silver base Model Y Long Range with 19” Gemini wheels is sold out for the remainder of 2022, with delivery estimates expected between February 2023 and May 2023."