Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is point where customer satisfaction comes into play. Your customers at some point realize they are being played and it impacts future buying.

This can be evident where the customer is “captured” such as a service customer out of warranty.

Parts demand tends to rise as the installed base ages. A supplier could successfully raise prices as they are a single source but should they? If replacement prices get too gouge-like, customers will alter future buying decisions.

As a service manager responsible for parts pricing, I would adjust (lower) markup and eat some margin rather than piss off existing customers. Pricing that begins to appear suspect can impact customer satisfaction and a great company cares a LOT about how the customer perception might impact future purchases.
"...Parts demand tends to rise as the installed base ages..." is one of the ubiquitous entirely logical but incorrect statements made by nearly everyone. It is true that vehicles in service after warranty expiration have higher customer paid parts demand than do the same vehicles while in warranty"
However, as the fleet ages usage per vehicle declines.

The primary overall parts demand is from collision repair while in warranty. Collision repair is ordinarily not even considered by commentators on this subject including even the rare Elon Musk statements.

Parts demand for vehicles out of warranty very often uses parts sources from third party suppliers and/or collision vehicle parts scavenging. Further the very reduced typical use of out of warranty vehicles is lower to begin with. Further, the most frequent out of warranty repairs tend to be:
suspension parts (nearly always purchased from suppliers originally and almost always with identical parts used in more than one OEM. Even Tesla does do that.
electronic controls and displays (provided by suppliers, but in out-of-warranty cases tend to be salvaged)
Then the routine replacement items are all replaceable by non OEM sources (for Tesla-tires and tires are the major recurrent cost.

Of course going to OEM direct does indeed generate large profits, but even Tesla has increasing numbers of older vehicles being serviced by the independent sources, many of whom began as collision repair sources. As Tesla grows these alternatives are quickly growing too.

The old vehicle repair business, in short, is mostly illusory for OEM's despite the undeniable potential. FWIW, OEM's very rarely maintain active inventories for out of warranty in excess of regulatory requirements, where they exist. That, for example, is why there are tiny group of people who maintain parts and service for Tesla Roadsters. The exceptions are ones that make that business into an enthusiast support network, such as these:

Were Tesla ever to do that it would not be to generate profit. It's not difficult to imagine doing so for other reasons.

Lest we forget Jaguar with XKE, Land Rover and Ford with F150 are three that do an aftermarket BEV version for retail sale. In happier days the Jaguar XK E BEV owned by Prince Charles, notably, was the car that Prince Harry drove his new bride Duchess Meghan away from their wedding.

None of those would be described as money-makers.

Last edited by a moderator:
The specifically call out why the Lexus one has a functional benefit right near the top.

And contrasts it later to the Tesla one

Which is something nearly every review of the Tesla yoke has mentioned.

There's a significant functional difference between the two systems-- one most obvious in exactly those kind of low speed hand/over/hand turns- and they specifically call that out.

Likewise they call out the downside of steer by wire-

The typical Lexus driver of this car is unlikely to care about that- so this trade off would be worthwhile to them.

Someone planning to track their Plaid often might care about this though and be unwilling to make that trade-off.

Infiniti somewhat famously used steer by wire on their sport sedan and it was panned for exactly that reason- the lack of feel in a "drivers car"

Perhaps the reason Elon said it'd be years before they had progressive steering is he's still working on a way to NOT have to pick one or the other.

Again- there's lots of bias in the media.

This ain't that.
I'm thinking about this an an engineer and I'm wondering why an E/M clutch isn't just used to do this just like we do in aircraft. We have mechanical systems with a disengaging clutch for roll authority (ailerons) with a command by wire backup in case of a jam. Just reverse that sequence so you use command by wire primary for normal driving and when put in track mode you engage a mechanical clutch to regain the physical feel. Put the hard stops on the assembly at the steering rack and I think you've got the solution of best of both worlds. This also gives the safety backup if steer by wire fails due to a sensor failure or two.

There's no magic wand here re Russian oil. We can continue to increase US production, we can pressure OPEC, Canada is increasing production, Iran and Libya can resume production. That's about what's going to happen.

On demand destruction the looming recession and China's covid are reducing demand in the near term and middle term.

Reports today in @petit_bateau excellent energy news thread show that Germany has moved very quickly to replace Russian Gas. That does not replace oil though. So come on Tesla energy team, figure out the 4680 production!

1651760002058.gif

There were protests at Tesla Germany? I was obviously aware of the legacy lawsuits masquerading as environmental concerns, but don't recall seeing any actual protest.
Yes, albeit not big protests. The lawsuits were probably more consequential in terms of slowing down the factory opening.

Reactions: JRP3
There's no magic wand here re Russian oil. We can continue to increase US production, we can pressure OPEC, Canada is increasing production, Iran and Libya can resume production. That's about what's going to happen.
What's the concern? Nearly all the largest purchasers of Russian oil have no intention of slowing purchases and will be more then happy to dramatically increase Russian imports if it's at a discount.

The idea Russian supply will be meaningfully impacted is Wall Street/London nonsense.

There were protests at Tesla Germany? I was obviously aware of the legacy lawsuits masquerading as environmental concerns, but don't recall seeing any actual protest.
Depends how you define protest. Some folks sitting on Tesla's driveway with their hands glued to the asphalt? Maybe that was part of the road test, I don't know. Others tested the climbing wall capabilities of the nearby Autobahn bridge during traffic. And that was only at the Model Y delivery event.
To many press and politicians there, they work like a magnet for some.

It was Thatcher-Reagan-Kohl who decided to go down the Russian oil & gas route in the beginning, subsequent leaders have simply continued on the course set long ago. This was all part of the grand-bargain associated with German reunification, and the breakup of the USSR with glasnost/perestroika. Arguably it has worked pretty well, for about 40-years. The real issue has been that the West has not properly responded to Putin's decisive course change (away from the West) in the early 00s. My point is that we should not unreasonably criticise all of the current crop of politicians without knowing the long history.

(Some individuals have behaved badly, most obviously Schroder in the current German context, but one could also find fault with others including in the UK, USA, and many other countries that have not dealt well over this strategy over the decades).

Anyway, whilst I am well aware of the French having long been a blocker of Spain's infrastructure connectivity (road, rail, gas pipeline, oil pipeline, electrical grid) I am not aware of any German role in that de facto strategy of impeding Spanish market access northwards. What evidence do you have to support that assertion as it is interesting. (I used to live smack in the middle of the Pyrenees, so I am very aware of what should have been done long ago, but the French always found convenient to never actually do). I'm really not aware of a German role in this, hence my question.
The large German utilities backed the French, abetted is the more appropriate term perhaps. Reagan was aggressive in his use of oil pricing to destroy the USSR, he even basically sacrificed Texas oil when we encouraged SA to dump oil so much so that it destroyed both Iran and Russia. it was the continued oil declines that destroyed Gorbachov's ability to fund the government. I'm sure you're well aware but the USSR was always funded by oil. From the get go Baku and later east Urals was the bank for the USSR.

Very dense/ informative recap of Q1 Earnings call by The Limiting Factor. There were *a lot* of points covered in that call and ensuing Q&A session. Hugely positive details confirming continued >50% year over year growth with at worst a slowdown in rate of growth in 1Q 2023 if the 4680 ramp hasn't finished by then. Lots of details, how Tesla probably designed a 2170 structural battery pack that can be a shoe-in substitute for the 4680 battery pack - thus avoiding inefficiencies in line production, etc.

How Tesla made the best of the situation by having extra 2170 packs in inventory, taking advantage of the slow 4680 ramp up to streamline that process while it is being implemented (instead of having to rush and have to wait for an opportunity to change the product lines).

Most impressive is how Tesla is so far ahead in working at removing future limiting factors, currently in Lithium mining years from now - being ready to get into it themselves if the mining industry (which they are helping, see Indonesia) isn't taking up that challenge/ opportunity fast enough. How Elon / Drew avoided answering that veiled question re other car makers prospects (they're really really dead, except for the Chinese EV manufacturers)

That video is over an hour long, but watching it seems like it didn't last so long as it is so interesting. Still, for those who need a quick recap, watch here

Hats off to Jordan Giesegi who has provided the Tesla community w/ remarkably insightful in-depth research on many technical aspects of Tesla, w/ battery production as a primary focus. See his Patreon support, which provides more benefits to subscribers and helps support his research.

View attachment 800685

From The Limiting Factor:
" This video covers the Tesla Q1 Earnings Call, which answered so many questions about the 4680 ramp and the raw materials needed for extreme scaling.
*Timeline*
00:00 Introduction
00:59 Slide Deck // Battery and Powertrain
03:47 Slide Deck // 2170 and 4680 Packs
05:33 Pack Interchangeability
09:45 50-80% Growth Rate?
10:39 Robotaxi
13:19 50% Per Year for Several Years
14:03 Elon’s Confidence
14:47 FSD and the Path to AGI
16:30 Raw Material Cost Exposure
18:10 400- vs 800-Volt Architectures
22:31 4680 Cost and Performance
28:11 Raw Materials for Extreme Scale
33:53 Recycling Battery Materials
35:52 Recycling Aluminum into Gigacastings
37:06 Berlin and Austin Ramp Rate
40:11 Don’t Wait for the Best Tesla
41:51 Leadership All Pulling in the Same Direction
42:58 4680 Run Rates
48:29 Will Legacy OEMs Secure Materials?
50:52 Tesla’s Limiting Factor
53:35 Tesla Pushing Miners, but Will Mine if they Must
57:17 Cybertruck Number of Parts
59:46 Giga Nevada Expansion
01:01:01 LFP and Alternative Cathodes
01:02:26 Iron Availability
01:03:54 Time Required to Ramp Raw Materials
01:08:52 Tesla Insurance
01:09:34 Full Summary // 15 Key Points

For those not familiar with Jordan's YouTube channel, it is one of the most informative and entertaining ones, notches above the follow the growing crowd of YouTube fans and rehashers

View attachment 800686

his videos are indeed well done and very informative. Jordan talks very slowly, so they can easily be watched at 1.5x or even 2x speed

So, what do people think of the opportunity of buying TWTR right now for an expected 6.6% short term capital gain in about 5 months when the deal goes through? It's an almost guaranteed 13% annualized income, versus a probably 50% loss if the deal falls apart.
TSLA moved more than that yesterday...
Also: Elon TWTR Opportunity