Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like nice big bounce coming tomorrow. Wish it had come a day earlier. Losing seven figures on a daily basis for weeks addles the brain after a while. Had to shore up an account with shares I had owned for years. Of course, my loss is the markets gain. My fault for using margin. Not like I yoloed. I mean the account had to fall 70% before it became an issue but still, didn’t need to. Greed kills.

All good.

Hang in there folks. We still got 2nd Q, inflation and a possible recession to deal with. But tomorrow should be good.

IN A RELATED STORY

Or if you prefer not to give fred a click

Everyone will have meaningful amounts of batteries if they can handle the supply chain components. In that regard tesla is not nearly as far ahead as in other things. Ford, GM, VW, etal will have quite a lot of capacity coming on line in 2024 & 5. That's 2 years away and they are simple batteries that have been prone to issues (mostly LG or stolen LG IP). Have they solved cooling, I would guess so. Korea has lots of great engineers and I suspect they'll figure out the BMS and cooling. Therefore, given how late things are with CT I suspect they'll be quite meaningful numbers on the road by 2025.

Looks like nice big bounce coming tomorrow. Wish it had come a day earlier. Losing seven figures on a daily basis for weeks addles the brain after a while. Had to shore up an account with shares I had owned for years. Of course, my loss is the markets gain. My fault for using margin. Not like I yoloed. I mean the account had to fall 70% before it became an issue but still, didn’t need to. Greed kills.

All good.

Hang in there folks. We still got 2nd Q, inflation and a possible recession to deal with. But tomorrow should be good.
I went through a process of selling half of my LEAPS today and then using the proceeds to buy regular stock on margin.

It de-risks me to an extent because the margin interest I can easily cover each month and I have zero worry of a margin call because even with the margin loan, it only takes up 8% of my position. So TSLA would have to fall like 80% from these levels.

Pro's are now I'm not so reliant on the share price being at least a certain level by March 2023 but I'm still using leverage to clear the share count goal I was hoping to do when I started the stock for LEAPS strategy back in early 2021. It paid off for sure, but not nearly what it would have if I had been able to time either of the 1200/share price levels.

I still have half of my LEAPS though so I'll still enjoy the upside if we get back to the 1200/1300 level by March. Con is by doing this strategy, I have limited my upside if the stock is back up to 1200/1300 in just a few months.

I'm confident we will be back up at those levels by March. But not worth gambling a significant portion of my position in TSLA on when the share count that this strategy will get me ensures I have more than enough shares for my share count goal. Especially when Elon is a factor that could put selling pressure on the stock at practically any moment lol

Last edited:
It gets pummeled like a risky growth stock on the down days......and the none of the reward of being a "risky growth" stock on the up days.

Oh haha, haven't you heard? TSLA valuation is 'egregious'. :p

TSLA.2022-05-12.19-59.png

Hint: Shortie wants TSLA to go back up (so they can short it again). Wanna bet we hit the Middle-BB within 3 trading days? Then ride the mid-bb down for a month until the next CPI report? Then the Market takes off, and we break toward the Upper-BB? But hedgies cap the stock because "Shanghai P&D" coming for July 5th? Then they walk it down into Q2 Earnings regardless of the numbers? Then Q2 Earnings is ... ... ...

Yeah, it's endless. It's how the sausage is made on Wall St. Live with it, or play dead. Whining doesn't change the world.

Cheers to the Longs!

That's true, but it's not even the main trouble with margin loans. The issuers have the right to suddenly change the terms. It kills me when people say "TSLA would have to drop 50% for me to get a margin call." That is false in all cases! The brokerage making the loan can instantly make whatever stock you are borrowing against almost worthless to use as collateral based upon nothing more than the perception your collateral has dropped in value or increased in risk. The actual price doesn't even need to change for them to do that and it's completely beyond your control and can happen without warning. Many people are unaware of this.

Hence my question to people asking if they should use margin loans: Do you aspire to becoming a puppet?

Exactly this and they really want your shares. They changed the % requirement 2 days in a row, each day adding 10% more.

They really really want them 🪑s!!! 😁

Attachments

• EF20C4D9-F5D9-411D-882C-E971004E1E7F.jpeg
    EF20C4D9-F5D9-411D-882C-E971004E1E7F.jpeg
    484.6 KB · Views: 101

We can't rely on the government of the United States to do anything about climate change probably ever. Fortunately I know about a company which is trying to do something about it before it's too late. Anyone wanna guess what company that might be?

We can't rely on the government of the United States to do anything about climate change probably ever. Fortunately I know about a company which is trying to do something about it before it's too late. Anyone wanna guess what company that might be?
No crap. That's why as a federal scientist studying the effects of climate change on endangered species I put all I had in tesla 4 years ago once I saw Elon had the right vision and was executing on it. Been trying to talk my peers into doing the same for years. Some got sick of hearing me talk, a few bought in and have benefitted, and one guy that's more of a value investor is finally nibbling a few shares at these prices. Several are turned off by Musk's occasional antics, which just shows how otherwise very intelligent people can be thrown off by noise and miss important signals. Killing ICE and reducing CO2 emissions while turning a profit so the whole enterprise gets to the scale necessary to derail the climate train bearing down on us is all that matters the next few decades.

OT

There is a reason the Ford f-series is the best selling trucks, despite RAM often getting bit better reviews. They are good. Ever toss firewood into the back of a pick up? or reach over the edge for a tool? Wont be able to do that as easily with the cybertruck (the sides slope down). Will the cybertruck hold up as well to the beating? who knows? But essentially will continue to sell well based on its history of providing a really solid truck and for some practical reasons of its design being beter fit for some peoples work.

It will be easier to toss firewood in the back of a Cybertruck than a F-150 because you can lower the Cybertruck. I have a 2010 F-150 4x4 that I toss firewood in all the time but rarely from the side because the truck sits too high. The easiest way to toss firewood in is from the rear. Why do you think the F-150 handles this gracefully? The bed of mine is made of soft steel and the entire inside of the bed is one big dent-fest from the sides of the bed, the wheel wells, the tailgate and the bottom of the bed. It's made of soft, thin steel. It's never had any rocks in it, just softwood firewood. I wonder how the aluminum ones like the Lightning are? I'm 6'-04" tall so while I can side load firewood splits in the F-150 , it's far from ideal. The Cybertruck would be easier to side-load but side-loading is just not that common on modern pickups. This is another one of those negatives that TSLAQ made up.

Your comments make me think you have never owned a F-150. I like the F-150 above the Silverado and Ram but I wouldn't say the Ford is all that good, it's actually a piece of crap, it only looks good because the competition is the same or worse. The stupidity and cheapness that goes into the engineering and design of these trucks is pretty bad. It's all about making them cheap. They often have heavy surface rust even before you even take delivery of your brand new truck and the Lightning is no different. The F-150 is arguably reliable but one thing it's not is tough regardless of the billions of dollars Ford spends on advertising to make you think it is. It actually works on some people.

Last edited:
There is something extraordinary going on with energy prices in Europe. Electricity prices are now 3-5x what they were a year ago. It's a price shock comparable in magnitude to the oil crises of the 1970's, yet the significance of this does not seem to get the attention it deserves.

112C62CF-84FD-4C9B-BEC5-42C5D0522114.jpeg

Source :Nordpool electricity spot market data

The chart shows the spot market price of electricity in Germany and France, but it's reflective of the general trend in nearly all of Europe. It started in 2021, well before the Ukraine war. It has partly to do with reduced nuclear generating capacity in Germany, France, and Sweden. Of course, cutting off electricity generation with Russian natural gas will exacerbate matters even more, as there are no obvious alternatives.

Many consumers have long-term contracts, so they are not affected yet, but when they need to renew their contract they're in for a rude awakening. In my personal case, my household energy bill will triple from 100 to 300 euro a month.

As investors, we should be concerned with the ramifications of this. There may be social upheaval, and it's going to be ugly for manufacturing requiring a lot of electricity.

Gigafactory Berlin will be affected. Tesla owners will be affected, as most of the fuel costs savings from going electric are evaporating (still a small advantage).

There is a silver lining down the road, though. Solar power is going to get a massive boom. Rooftop solar is generally achievable at 200 Euro/MWh, so this is now profitable without subsidies. Large-scale solar even more so. There will be a massive market for battery storage.

it take before we realise we are in a sell-off the likes of which we haven't seen since the COVID-19 panic sell-off in early 2020? TSLA fell from $969 to $350. (pre-split numbers) $350 is 36% of $969. Took about 3 months to recoup that fall to get back to its ATH and then kept on climbing.

Today TSLA is at $699 which is 56% of the current ATH. Perhaps there is some more fall to go.

I've seen tons of these falls since I first bought TSLA in 2013. The first one was in autumn of that year after 3 bizarre fire accidents which were nothing to do with the design of the car. Bears used them to start the whole "Tesla cars catch fire" legend. Stock went from $194 to $116 I think it was. $116 is 59% of $194. TSLA turned right back around and climbed to $256 before Elon answered Phil LeBeau's question outside the steps of the Carson City Neva

I've got it! Transport a Prufrock to Ukraine then drill under the Russian troops into the plant.
It's exactly what I think

Reactions: skybluecgreen
Twitter deal on hold. Should be a good day today!

Please Elon, return to humanity and walk away from this deal. You've got a nice opening here.

It's also likely this is a ploy to get them to lower the deal price. Which is also a good thing. The Bird wasn't worth $44B and everyone knows it.

But I hope he just walks away, he probably won't even need to pay the $1B breakup fee if it's proven that Bird was lying about this statistic.