Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not already posted, three Tesla presentations at Hot Chips on August 23rd:

DOJO: The Microarchitecture of Tesla’s Exa-Scale ComputerEmil Talpes, Tesla

DOJO - Super-Compute System Scaling for ML TrainingBill Chang, Tesla

Beyond Compute - Enabling AI through System IntegrationGanesh Venkataramanan, Tesla Motors

Never been to Poconos but The Beach Boys song always made it seem appealing.
Last I knew Kokomo was in Indiana. I've been there but I would not sing about it.
The Beach Boys - Kokomo (1988) - YouTube
I agree the Pokonos are much more appealing;

Neither are well supplied with Tesla sightings although the Pokonos are gaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any way to track the FSD option effect on delivery wait? That's an outsized effect on gross margin because all the development work is done anyway, with addtional FSD sales flowing straight through to gross profit.

Cheers!
Maybe Help for Q2 Margins

I used the Model Y tracker as it has a higher sample size. I took only Model Y LR deliveries and excluded Performance as we know that the Performance model is prioritized.
There is a slight prioritization of FSD but what I noticed is that higher base price vehicles were shipped faster than the lower base price vehicles meaning that some 2022 orders with the higher pricing may be cutting the line to optimize Q2.

For vehicles delivered in Q2 or confirmed for Q2:
Orders with FSD had a 5.7 mth wait time while no FSD had 7 mth wait time. So slight difference.​
Orders with older base price from 2021 had a 7.6 mth wait time but orders with higher 2022 pricing had a 3.7 mth wait time (20% of deliveries for Q2 have 2022 order dates). There are still many 2021 Model Y LR orders on the Tracker that have delivery dates for Q3 and Q4 meaning the 2022 orders jumped ahead of them.​
My reasoning may be flawed and I'm open to a different interpretation.

Maybe Help for Q2 Margins

I used the Model Y tracker as it has a higher sample size. I took only Model Y LR deliveries and excluded Performance as we know that th ePerformance model is prioritized.
There is a slight prioritization of FSD but what I noticed is that higher base price vehicles were shipped faster than the lower base price vehicles meaning that some 2022 orders with the higher pricing may be cutting the line to optimize Q2.

For vehicles delivered in Q2 or confirmed for Q2:
Orders with FSD had a 5.7 mth wait time while no FSD had 7 mth wait time. So slight difference.​
Orders with older base price from 2021 had a 7.6 mth wait time but orders with higher 2022 pricing had a 3.7 mth wait time (20% of deliveries for Q2 have 2022 order dates). There are still many 2021 Model Y LR orders on the Tracker that have delivery dates for Q3 and Q4 meaning the 2022 orders jumped ahead of them.​
My reasoning may be flawed and I'm open to a different interpretation.

There are always the wildcard variables too:
1) Regulatory credits (always a big unknown)
2) Deferred tax accounting
3) Deferred FSD revenue to be recognized
4) Decreased costs vs. increased costs (i.e. less shipping costs b/c less ships left Shanghai vs. paying for employee food/housing during the Shanghai lockdown).

Never a dull moment in TSLA financials.

I knew I said that to AudubonB for a reason!
That is very unkind. Making such a reference to that very nice young man is inappropriate when he's nearly two decades younger than am I. For that matter there are quite a few very experienced people posting here. Of course, we forgive you for your youth and inexperience. In time you'll overcome those weaknesses.

Anyway, Tesla supporters come in all shapes, sizes, colors and maturity. Everyone should feel welcome here.
note: this is not labeling with an /s because it is not so intended. It is intended to be [modestly] humorous.

There are always the wildcard variables too:
1) Regulatory credits (always a big unknown)
2) Deferred tax accounting
3) Deferred FSD revenue to be recognized
4) Decreased costs vs. increased costs (i.e. less shipping costs b/c less ships left Shanghai vs. paying for employee food/housing during the Shanghai lockdown).

Never a dull moment in TSLA financials.
FSD itself is thus far a wildcard also.

That is very unkind. Making such a reference to that very nice young man is inappropriate when he's nearly two decades younger than am I. For that matter there are quite a few very experienced people posting here. Of course, we forgive you for your youth and inexperience. In time you'll overcome those weaknesses.

Anyway, Tesla supporters come in all shapes, sizes, colors and maturity. Everyone should feel welcome here.
note: this is not labeling with an /s because it is not so intended. It is intended to be [modestly] humorous.
?

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I think investors (including me), may be underestimating Berlin and Austin for Q2. It can ramp very quickly.
Elon's comments from the Q1 earnings call:
View attachment 807829
I have worked in manufacturing in the US, EU and Asia, not cars, but mostly electronics. In Asia the "human" aspect of the ramp tends not to be the limiting factor. The pool of labor is huge and getting the right ones on board is pretty easy. In the US and EU getting the right people on board and getting them trained usually is the limiting factor.

Obviously you can't generalize, every situation is different.

Let see how this goes but my guess is the ramp will be limited by the hiring and training of people both in Texas and Berlin. I think Tesla knows this and one reason for the Cyber Rodeo etc. Get people on board quickly.

BTW I'm probably older than you my friend... wiser? Now that I can't say. Anyway I was under the impression that farfegnugen meant "driving pleasure" albeit from a VW perspective. My apologies to AudubonB if he took offense and farfegnugen to you too JB!

May the farce be with you!

/s

I remain of the opinion that TSLA's weakness has primarily been Shanghai (not Tesla's fault) if anything, and not Elon's politics or Twitter stuff or FUD or Tesla arson. (Even if you include all the obvious arson cases over the last few days, Tesla's still catch fire significantly less than gas cars) . Anyway, with the news out that Shanghai has not only resumed but has come back with record daily production numbers, I think we're headed back up. FOMO will be intense, so we should go up quickly.

That will help calm the fears of this oversold market.

Do I have the permission to print that post, put it in a frame and put it on my bedroom ceiling if I ever wake up at night