Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any clue - if the judge in the SEC case rules against Elon - as to whether any punitive action would be announced at the same time, or whether they would be handed down in a separate decision at a later date?

Not that I expect him to lose this, of course.
Not a lawyer, but I believe if this were a trial and he was found guilty there would be a separate sentencing phase. However, this is NOT a trial so it would not surprise me if and action the judge decides is prudent it would come at the same time as her ruling. Just a guess on my part though.

Dan

Here's the real problem: explain how a late registration of 3,500 VINs increased their Quarterly estimate by 7,800 units at the last minute? Then remains unseen by diligent Users until after the end of quarter? There is no math that creates this behavior. This is not a credible explanation. The answer lies elsewhere.

Well this clearly will not be resolved today. Again carsonight took screenshots on Jan 2nd showing an est'd prod at 4,008 cars/wk, and later that day at 4,608 cars/wk. He has been a reliable source of information, and has training in the legal field. I have no reason to doubt his evidence, and further I saw the same 'tweaks' at the end of 2018Q3.

But this is legal / retortical argument. Again, there is no MATH that makes any model prediction jump by 7,800 units with a late addition of 3,500 VINs.

This does not pass the B.S. test. The rest looks like hand waving because we 'like' somebody or some organization.

I do not care. I want to see the math. Everything else is flufferbot fodder.

Cheers!

There's relatively straightforward explanations to most of these questions:
That's direct evidence. Q.E.D.

Last edited:
last minute VIN registrations by Tesla on the last days of the quarter:

Model 3 VINs on Twitter

"#Tesla registered 3,569 new #Model3 VINs. ~52% estimated to be dual motor. Highest VIN is 193556."

Yeah, on Jan 1st, 2019 Model 3 VINs wrote:

Model 3 VINs‏ @Model3VINs Jan 1

This batch has now been switched to MY 2019.
So these cars were not produced in 2018Q4, and BB Tracker is further in error. It's a comedy of compounding errors now.

Make enough, and it'll average out, right? But never, ever show error bars for estimates, 'cause that might scare away some click revenue.

Humorous stuff, but I'm done for today. Too close to Market Hours to continue now.

Cheers!

IIRC when Elon announced the opening of the first V3 he implied that very rapid network expansion would now happen together with V2 installed base improvements. The sudden increase in new construction seems logical anyway since Northern Hemisphere Spring has come so prime construction season has arrived. Notice that most of the new ones in the last weeks have been Northern ones. Does it not happen thus every year?

I don't know about other northern places, but the ground is still frozen here. Also, the latitude looks to be pretty widely varying on these.

As to whether there's some seasonal pattern in the data... it doesn't look like there is.

Yeah, on Jan 1st, 2019 Model 3 VINs wrote:

Model 3 VINs‏ @Model3VINs Jan 1

This batch has now been switched to MY 2019.

I independently came to a 61k production estimate in Q4 as well, based on VIN registrations alone.

I can agree with the view that Bloomberg might have gotten lucky in Q4 - but that's a far cry from your accusation of them changing their estimate "retroactively", which they didn't.

I also agree with the criticism that the Bloomberg tracker was confusing. They tweaked the tracker for Q1: actual estimate is visible, and it's more transparent.

In any case:
  • Your claim that math "cannot support" a 7.8k jump on 3.5k burst is false: that's only true of lagging averages - any sort of overeager predictive averaging function would overreact to a 3.5k registration.
  • Bloomberg's tracker being off for much of Q4 was simply a function of Tesla registering almost all VINs in October already.
  • The Carsonight screenshots are discredited by the contemporary snapshot @tsunamiofhurt gave on December 31.
  • You provided no valid evidence whatsoever for me to distrust Bloomberg's tracker and Tom Randall's honesty.
We should not be attacking the good guys...

Today Bloomberg's Q1 estimate is 79k, mine is 80k.

Tomorrow we might learn how much of a fool VINology made of both of us. :D

Let me put it this way: I will feel better when and if I can order a sample.
You can get a sample today, just cost you $218M cash. :p

But Maxwell did already make their results available to the scientific community, and Tesla did not make their offer based on a whim or a rumor. JB knows full well what they're buying.

Cheers!

You can get a sample today, just cost you $218M cash. :p

But Maxwell did already make their results available to the scientific community, and Tesla did not make their offer based on a whim or a rumor. JB knows full well what they're buying.

Cheers!

I think the point is that there's a big difference between lab samples and products in mass production.

That said, I too am very excited about Maxwell's tech. Mainly for its cost-reduction potential. Major cost reductions from eliminating vacuum ovens in favour of hot rolling presses will happen almost assuredly. How well the various property improvements will materialize in a mass production environment is more up in the air (but again, I'm optimistic).

I think the point is that there's a big difference between lab samples and products in mass production.

That said, I too am very excited about Maxwell's tech. Mainly for its cost-reduction potential. Major cost reductions from eliminating vacuum ovens in favour of hot rolling presses will happen almost assuredly. How well the various property improvements will materialize in a mass production environment is more up in the air (but again, I'm optimistic).

From my read of the process, it is simpler than wet electrode, so scale up of a proven product should not be overly fraught with danger. The Maxwell blurb (which now eludes me) said they had been working for quite some time with someone on the cell, if that was/ is Tesla, then they have already evaluated the product.

(also optimistic)

upload_2019-4-1_6-9-44.png

At the end of 2016 there were 1575 petrol stations in Norway.

Is there any new numbers that suggest BEVs are having an effect?

I know many petrol stations have chargers but.....

View attachment 392431

Dunno. I'd think the most valid metric to measure the effect is the total volume of sales for transport fuels. Don't know about those either. But I do know that Statoil is divesting from some oil field leases and building offshore wind turbines. Doggerland!

View attachment 392431

Indeed - the loss of petrol stations will be the death knell for ICEs in Norway - particularly in remote areas.

You can own and use an EV without DC chargers. You can't do the same with an ICE without gas stations. If your town's gas station shuts down, and you have to drive 30km each way to the nearest gas station to fill up each time... you're going to ditch your ICE vehicle fast.

Many petrol stations are already struggling (and were even before EVs came into the picture). They can't afford to lose 10% of their business, let alone half.

Last edited: