Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed - the loss of petrol stations will be the death knell for ICEs in Norway - particularly in remote areas.

You can own and use an EV without DC chargers. You can't do the same with an ICE without gas stations. If your town's gas station shuts down, and you have to drive 30km to the nearest gas station to fill up each time... you're going to ditch your ICE vehicle fast.

also consider how trivial it is to install and maintain a working car charger -- electricity is everywhere already, requires no attendant to monitor it, and only takes up as much real estate as a parking space.

meanwhile, a gas station requires an area the size of an entire retail lot, the construction of huge underground storage tanks, regular inspections, constant supply of tank trucks to refuel it, and live attendants to work there.

it's a doomed business model. And that fact is going to become increasingly clear over the next couple years.

I need to contact Robinhood and see what my options for tendering are...
For what it's worth, I followed the instructions regarding participating in a voluntary corporate action here: Mergers, Stock Splits, and More

Robinhood was able to process my request despite me not having received anything from Cambria.

I know many petrol stations have chargers but.....

I'm afraid it is too early to see the decline of gas stations as a sign of EVs winning. Example Germany:

Anzahl der Tankstellen in Deutschland bis 2018 | Statistik

Over the past years there is a constant decline in gas stations which is essentially a result of consolidation and family owned gas stations closing down...

EDIT: Norway at 64 cars today. I do expect quite a bit of inventory all over Europe at the end of yesterday evening. I still expect record deliveries but I don't think Tesla delivered every car they had on a ship...

Last edited:
meanwhile, a gas station requires an area the size of an entire retail lot, the construction of huge underground storage tanks, regular inspections, constant supply of tank trucks to refuel it, and live attendants to work there

Also, in Europe, zoning restrictions: you can put an EV charger next to your friendly neighborhood grocery shop or restaurant to attract customers - you cannot build a gas station that is spreading carcinogen fumes in a residential zone in most places.

This force alone could drive gas stations into extinction in most of Europe.

also consider how trivial it is to install and maintain a working car charger -- electricity is everywhere already, requires no attendant to monitor it, and only takes up as much real estate as a parking space.

meanwhile, a gas station requires an area the size of an entire retail lot, the construction of huge underground storage tanks, regular inspections, constant supply of tank trucks to refuel it, and live attendants to work there.

it's a doomed business model. And that fact is going to become increasingly clear over the next couple years.

Europe has had completely unmanned gas stations for decades (their price per liter is typically a couple of eurocents below the manned ones).

When a gas station is decommissioned, I would assume the area is polluted from all the tiny spills during its operational lifetime, adding to the cost of having them.

I'm afraid it is too early to see the decline of gas stations as a sign of EVs winning. Example Germany:

Over the past years there is a constant decline in gas stations which is essentially a result of consolidation and family owned gas stations closing down...

EDIT: Norway at 64 cars today. I do expect quite a bit of inventory all over Europe at the end of yesterday evening. I still expect record deliveries but I don't think Tesla delivered every car they had on a ship...

Right, the number of gas stations is a function not of falling ICE sales, but of the fraction of cars on the road being ICE.

So if a car lasts e.g. 15 years, then that needs to be factored in to the decline in gas stations.

Still, I shake my head when I see new gas stations under construction (last one I saw was in Italy).

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyH

With a population density of 230 people per square km Germany is more ripe for service station consolidation than Norway with 17 people per square km.

Consolidation is happening in Los Angeles County as well.

Less so in North Dakota.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin and AndyH
Europe has had completely unmanned gas stations for decades (their price per liter is typically a couple of eurocents below the manned ones).

When a gas station is decommissioned, I would assume the area is polluted from all the tiny spills during its operational lifetime, adding to the cost of having them.

Its expensive to clean up an old gas station site. Almost bought one by accident. It had a gas station in the 1930's and I thank my closing attorney for finding that out.
Could easily cost 1-2 hundred grand to have soil removed and disposed of.

Its expensive to clean up an old gas station site. Almost bought one by accident. It had a gas station in the 1930's and I thank my closing attorney for finding that out.
Could easily cost 1-2 hundred grand to have soil removed and disposed of.

Yeah, but if you bought a place that used to have an EV charger, it might have a bunch of electricity accumulated in the soil that you'd have to pay to discharge... or something.... ;)

Electricity Slick Spreads Across Alternate-Gulf Of Mexico

View attachment 392431

At the end of 2016 there were 1575 petrol stations in Norway.

Is there any new numbers that suggest BEVs are having an effect?

I know many petrol stations have chargers but.....
I don't have exact numbers but I've read several articles stating that the after market service sector in Norway is suffering from loss of revenue because of the onslaught of electric cars. Here's one: Elbilarna drar ner eftermarknaden.

This already affects the distance many have to travel for a service in Norway. Tesla's ranger service is a good solution.

Petrol stations have been disappearing in Sweden too from 3800 stations in 2006 to 2600 stations in 2019. While maybe not directly related at the same time public chargers have increased from a handful to 1743 locations with 7162 chargers in 2019.