Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking into TSLL because as an ETF, I may finally be able to move some 401K money into Tesla. Unfortunately my plan specifically disallows investment in individual stocks. Hopefully I have access to this ETF. I am curious what the expense ratio is going to be though!
Leveraged etf with tsla volatility might not be such a good idea.

This whole thing about the tax credit taking effect on January 1, 2023 is going to put the EV market in turmoil. Nobody is going to know if the EV they want to buy qualifies for the credit. Most will want to wait and see.

I think Q4 numbers for EVs will be way down, but Tesla should be in the best position to navigate the bumpy waters. Then Tesla will benefit from higher prices and higher margins in 2023.

Trying to understand the current state on the battery minerals in regards to the tax credit. I found this chart from the International Energy Administration.

Looks like quite a challenge to source large quantities from free trade countries especially on the processing side.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 7.41.47 AM.jpg

This whole thing about the tax credit taking effect on January 1, 2023 is going to put the EV market in turmoil. Nobody is going to know if the EV they want to buy qualifies for the credit. Most will want to wait and see.

I think Q4 numbers for EVs will be way down, but Tesla should be in the best position to navigate the bumpy waters. Then Tesla will benefit from higher prices and higher margins in 2023.
Again, you keep forgetting only the US market is affected. Tesla has lots of worldwide demand to absorb Q4 production.

My first buy missed the narrow window by a day. But for those who may have bought on the "Funding Secured" tweet, it's worthwhile to check if you are eligible to file a claim. Some things to be aware of:

This will not cost Tesla anything if you get a cash refund because the settlement is a fixed amount and gets divided up in proportion to the valid claims submitted.

If you submit a valid claim, not only will you get cash back, but it will reduce the amount paid to TSLA short-sellers who covered on the "funding secured" tweet. That's a worthy goal even your share purchase was so small as to not amount to a huge amount of money.

It looks to me like the claim submitting rules are set up to make people think you had to lose money to have a valid claim. That is not the case at all. I believe everyone who bought during the narrow window (between 12:48:16 p.m. EDT on August 7, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 8, 2018) is entitled to a refund if it's more than $10 (even if you later sold at a profit). Basically, the assumption is that everyone who bought during this window over-paid whether it was longs buying or shorts covering.

Apply any cash refunds to TSLA purchases and watch your money grow over time! Or, treat yourself and your date to a nice meal or drinks out, compliments of TSLAQ! ;)
drat. just barely missed it, maybe.......settled on 8/7
1660046448397.png

these definately missed it tho
08/30/2018
Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$299.4309

$4.95

-$603.81

08/20/2018

Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$288.87

$4.95

-$2,893.65

08/10/2018

Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$350.0426

$4.95

-$705.04

Reactions: UncaNed
drat. just barely missed it, maybe.......settled on 8/7
View attachment 838487

these definately missed it tho
08/30/2018
Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$299.4309

$4.95

-$603.81

08/20/2018

Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$288.87

$4.95

-$2,893.65

08/10/2018

Buy

Trade Details

TSLA

TESLA INC

$350.0426

$4.95

-$705.04
It depends on trade date, not settle date.
"purchased between 12:48:16 p.m. EDT on August 7, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 8, 2018"
And the 'loss' would the purchase amount above $356.67, so your trades wouldn't qualify.

Although the details are complex, I think something people are glossing over regarding the EV tax credit in the bill, is the fact that it is in the bill.
Sure, future politicians may want to tweak it, maybe to make it more pro-union, or more pro-American made or more/less pro-tesla.
But anyway you look at it, the precedent has been set again the the US government wants to financially incentivize people to buy an EV. Thats great news. And given that we all here likely agree that in the medium/long term, the best possible EV for your money is a Tesla, that can only be good news.

heck... even if it incentivizes people to buy a ford/gm EV, and they then own it a few years and realize they wish they had bought as tesla, that still helps people cross the threshold to being eventual tesla customers.
Maybe GM/Ford can get some extra sales from this bill, but can they keep them as long term EV customers?

Although the details are complex, I think something people are glossing over regarding the EV tax credit in the bill, is the fact that it is in the bill.
Sure, future politicians may want to tweak it, maybe to make it more pro-union, or more pro-American made or more/less pro-tesla.
But anyway you look at it, the precedent has been set again the the US government wants to financially incentivize people to buy an EV. Thats great news. And given that we all here likely agree that in the medium/long term, the best possible EV for your money is a Tesla, that can only be good news.

heck... even if it incentivizes people to buy a ford/gm EV, and they then own it a few years and realize they wish they had bought as tesla, that still helps people cross the threshold to being eventual tesla customers.
Maybe GM/Ford can get some extra sales from this bill, but can they keep them as long term EV customers?

Actually I don't see it as an incentive to sell more EV's. As many have stated here every compelling EV that can be produced will be sold.

The way the bill is written it is a huge incentive for auto companies to move the battery supply chain away from China. This is the main effect the bill will have.

In the short run, the materials sourcing requirements and small battery requirements incentivize legacy auto to build PHEVs in order to spread the limited supply of locally sourced materials over more vehicles to generate more credit revenue.

In the longer run, it’s likely a robust locally sourced battery supply chain will be generated, which is a really smart move.

Obviously, I was only talking about the US market.

Are you saying that you think Tesla will do a lot more exports from the US to other markets in Q4?
They can if they have to. But this is only necessary if US demand really falls off a cliff. I don't see it happening.

BTW, I said "again" not to you, but because I clarified the same point to someone else's post several days ago

Can I put it more simply? Demand is not a problem for Tesla.

I'm getting the feeling looking at our 3 month chart that we're gonna bounce off $1000 this week. The pattern(and stank in the air) just looks like we're ready to test, but not close above.

Obviously need good to great CPI Wednesday, but I think that's fairly likely.

HoDLing my single 8/12 $900c like it's the one ring to rule them all. THE PRECIOUS!

My vote goes to Saturday.

Reactions: Discoducky
I'm looking into TSLL because as an ETF, I may finally be able to move some 401K money into Tesla. Unfortunately my plan specifically disallows investment in individual stocks. Hopefully I have access to this ETF. I am curious what the expense ratio is going to be though!
If you're looking for a fund that holds TSLA, BPTRX is ~46% TSLA and ~7% SpaceX as of July 31st.

Screenshot_20220809-093110_Chrome.jpg

It depends on trade date, not settle date.
"purchased between 12:48:16 p.m. EDT on August 7, 2018 and 4:00 p.m. EDT on August 8, 2018"
And the 'loss' would the purchase amount above $356.67, so your trades wouldn't qualify.
yeah, my "sorrow" at missing a few dollars, is more than compensated by the 5:1 stock split and subsequent SP increase, and the upcoming split.
so $356.67 is actually $71.34, a tad bit below todays SP, but with the upcoming split, once again we can go thru $420.:)
1660053190898.png
:)

Last edited:
UK dealer discounts on various makes/models, suggests to me that Hybrid (Toyota) losing out to full Battery Electric Vehicle choices eg Tesla.

They say that waiting times on new cars are down generally, these are the ones dealers have in stock & want to sell quickly. Perhaps chip shortage eased and/or demand for EVs up vs ICE

Biggest EV discount is Renault Zoe at 14.5% - bit of a surprise there, then Jaguar I-Pace at 8.5% discount
VW ID3/4 discounts quite low at 5% - only one spec of each
Many other ICE VW's above 10% discount
Cupra Born 2.5% discount

For the first time since September 2021 Toyota have a variety of models discounted (not EVs - obviously) - only other time I've seen Toyotas was in July 2021. Never seen Toyota before or since, until now - and I've been getting these emails since 2019.

1660052714532.png

Attachments

• 1660052689784.png
    1660052689784.png
    99.8 KB · Views: 35