Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Neophyte question:

I’d like to buy a few more shares tomorrow or Tuesday, but these new shares won’t be “shares of record” (that I owned as of 17 Aug 2022 for purposes of getting the 3:1 split).

What happens with the new shares I buy tomorrow or Tuesday, do they also get a 3:1 split?

Thanks. Cheers.
As I understand it, they will be multiplied at the split. They are "shares of record" from whoever sells them.

Sift back through the past few days of posts for more detail on this.

Neophyte question:

I’d like to buy a few more shares tomorrow or Tuesday, but these new shares won’t be “shares of record” (that I owned as of 17 Aug 2022 for purposes of getting the 3:1 split).

What happens with the new shares I buy tomorrow or Tuesday, do they also get a 3:1 split?

Thanks. Cheers.
yes, any long/short position as of end of day 8/24 will be split at open of 8/25

Reflecting on 10.69 after my morning coffee, I think the outcome of this version gives me great confidence in the abilities and processes of the Autopilot team.

I know a few here we're anxious that focusing on Chuck Cook's unprotected left could have led to over fitting. But after seeing the results, it's clear that the Autopilot team took a hard look at the difficult maneuver, took a step back, analyzed the deficiencies of the system that made the turn difficult, and developed a generalized solution that not only overcame those hurdles, but also improved the capabilities of the system in many other situations.

Last edited:
The morning of the 25th will see the sun rise along with your share count as, overnight, they tripled in number. Fear not that the stock price dropped to a 1/3 of what you remember as all graphs and charts shall be updated to the dawn of time with the new normal.
After the last split my share count increased but TDAmeritrade was briefly still using the pre split price 🤑

Although I like the idea of Tesla making more money (obviously) it does feel that Elon's focus on raising FSD pricing is a bit optimistic. As I understand it, the FSD take-up rate is still pretty low, shouldn't they wait until FSD is selling like hot cakes before raising the price AGAIN?
I say this as someone who has reserved a performance model Y with FSD (still waiting...will be almost a year soon...).

I do see comments outside this forum from Tesla owners who say they think FSD is seriously overpriced. Given its a feature you can buy...but not even use yet unless you are judged worthy by Tesla to get into the beta... This seems like the company is getting ahead of itself.

I'd rather Tesla sold FSD to almost everyone at $10k/car than to 10% of the buyers at $15k.

Until you can legally read a book and let it do its thing...its just *really good driver assistance*, and thats assuming you are allowed into the beta.

It took decades for much simpler, cheaper, and more obviously-safer systems like seatbelts and ABS to become mandatory (and none of those required what is sure to be a years-long process just to be legal to use at all in many areas). Regulators move very very slowly on requiring new things.
While true information travels more quickly now, if social media is inundated with obviously higher safety numbers for Tesla regulators may be forced to change faster.

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
It is only a demand driver for well informed buyers. The percentage of car buyers that is well informed about FSD is fairly low and there is a significant FUD campaign ongoing to keep it that way or push it even lower. With the release of the new version you can expect the FUD to be dialed up further, even beyond 11.

If you think Dan O'Clown videos were ugly attacks, you ain't seen nothin' yet!
At what point though will FSD perform well enough to negate the FUD? Is the reason that Tesla has not openly addressed O'Douds video because of the impending release of 10.69? Should we expect it to be undeniably safer? Even for those outside of Tesla's cult? I know from spending considerable time on non-Tesla forums, the anti-Tesla crowd is still quite vocal and equally ill informed which supports your point. Some will not be content until FSD is shown to be perfect even though Cruise and Waymo are far from it. I can generally filter out the noise of "we just hate anything Tesla does", from public curiosity that's genuinely interested in how well FSD performs but they will always be there crying about something. If it's not FSD, it's the lack of knobs, or service nightmares, or panel gaps, or any number of talking points. Plural of anecdote is not data, except in their bubble.

Although I like the idea of Tesla making more money (obviously) it does feel that Elon's focus on raising FSD pricing is a bit optimistic. As I understand it, the FSD take-up rate is still pretty low, shouldn't they wait until FSD is selling like hot cakes before raising the price AGAIN?
I say this as someone who has reserved a performance model Y with FSD (still waiting...will be almost a year soon...).

I do see comments outside this forum from Tesla owners who say they think FSD is seriously overpriced. Given its a feature you can buy...but not even use yet unless you are judged worthy by Tesla to get into the beta... This seems like the company is getting ahead of itself.

I'd rather Tesla sold FSD to almost everyone at $10k/car than to 10% of the buyers at $15k.

Until you can legally read a book and let it do its thing...its just *really good driver assistance*, and thats assuming you are allowed into the beta.
IMO Tesla is going to keep increasing the price to convert more people to subscriptions. Really, if you don't keep the car for 5-6-7+ years, the subscription is already the way to go.

Given its a feature you can buy...but not even use yet unless you are judged worthy by Tesla to get into the beta...

During the Q2 earnings call, Elon said the next FSD price increase would happen when it hits wide beta and is available to everyone who requests it:

So I think that makes it likely that Elon means 10.69.2 will be the wide release, not gated behind safety score.

Fremont vs Shanghai.jpg

Nice graphical display of Tesla's production ramp at Shanghai vs Fremont. Source

A first look at Chuck's left turn on 10.69. He's just showing the screen in this one, but still pretty cool. Can't wait for one in the daytime with the drones.

He does a lot of other maneuvers as well. FSD still won't do a U turn. We have updated animation including a blue "wall" that shows how far it will creep into oncoming traffic.

That blue wall really is significant. I know I've aborted many turns (left and right, no pun intended) for fear of FSD creeping too far into traffic. Now that it'll display where it's stopping I'll be much more likely to let it complete the maneuver.

That sounds like wide release is with 10.69.2

If it is, meaning no safety score required and is available to everyone to use that has purchased it, I smell FSD revenue recognition in Q3.
Sounds to me like he is talking about the current FSD beta participants... the ones who already have FSD, not all who have purchased.

While true information travels more quickly now, if social media is inundated with obviously higher safety numbers for Tesla regulators may be forced to change faster.
Agreed, I think they could ignore a 10x increase in safety honestly and sit on their hands. But a 100x or >1000x improvement is impossible.

So in Q4 2021 it was 4.31 million miles per accident while using AP vs 1.59 without AP.

I'd bet that if Tesla has data to show >100 million miles per accident things will change very fast. How many miles does the fleet drive in a quarter again? 1 million AP3 cars * 40 miles a day average * ~90 = 3.6 billion miles a quarter roughly? Say 10% of those on AP or 360 million. I'm guessing we'll see a marked improvement for Q4 2022.