Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a thought. Elon stated Tesla was seeing materials costs starting to drop. If this continues Elon further stated they would try to lower prices.

However demand far exceeds production so price drops don't necessarily affect the Mission. What if, instead, Tesla offers a temporary discount to FSD? As FSD improves, any increase in takerate will have an absolute impact on safety. Considering FSD profit margins this seems like a better option both for overall safety improvements and for Teslas financials.
The issue with sales is that once you offer a discounted sales price, people in the future will wait to buy until the next time it goes on sale. I do this with many of my purchases.

As FSD improves, any increase in takerate will have an absolute impact on safety.

That's not Tesla's intent: "Single-Stack" is being developed through the FSD Beta process. It will replace the old code base which now runs Autopilot (Hdw 2.5+ FSD Cmptr req'd). Autopilot will be a subset of FSD.

Safety will not be optional.

All safety features of full FSD will be present in Autopilot on every base model Tesla going forward. It's the convenience features that you'll pay for with an FSD purchase or subscription.

Cheers!

P.S. Tesla will mine training data from all its cars in the fleet which have the hdw to support "Single-Stack", whether their owners paid for FSD or not. That data is arguably more valuable than the revenue from FSD, since this data enables Robotaxi at some point down the road (and proves it's safety record to Regulators). Winning! ;)

Last edited:
How will the Cybertruck perform in its safety rating tests? I think the testing agencies will need to add a fifth point of measure.
1) the vehicle’s ability to protect adults;
2) the vehicle's ability to protect children;
3) the vehicles's protection it provides vulnerable road users like cyclists and pedestrians;

(I believe Cybertruck will score high in safety due to the front end angle design, roll over the top rather than like being hit by a wall compared to all other pick-up truck "flat face mamma" designs)
4) the vehicle's safety assistance features.

5) the vehicle's ability to protect the testing agencies' safety testing equipment. Their equipment is in for a world of hurt.
While this sounds funny I am afraid exo-skeleton means that the VRUs will be in a world of hurt, too, if it comes to a collision. Disagree for your comment on 3), as the hard outer shell will have a great negative impact IMHO.

While this sounds funny I am afraid exo-skeleton means that the VRUs will be in a world of hurt, too, if it comes to a collision. Disagree for your comment on 3), as the hard outer shell will have a great negative impact IMHO.
Compared to human flesh, all cars have hard outer shells. Very few have enough give to prevent serious injury, particularly not at the corners where impact is concentrated. The relatively sharper angles are a bigger concern with the Cybertruck, but hopefully the build in safety features will mitigate that. The best vehicle versus pedestrian collision is no collision.

Which still isn’t a thing, only a potential future feature.
You are absolutely right. I was about to point out that the gen2 sats with the laser links were already flying and that some users had already noted latency reductions (44ms >>> 37ms)

but then I realised that the observed latency reductions were not of the correct magnitude (20ms) for the laser links, and that in any case it seems FCC has yet to authorise switch-on

But I really can't see the laser links not getting approved. The US defence implications are such that it will surely get approved. Not that many text users will ever notice, though I'm sure there will be some edge case out there.

No, they do not. The safety latch on CCS is routinely damaged by users. The bulkiness and weight of CCS compared to Tesla makes it a chore to insert and remove -- often times force is required. CCS users get used to yanking the connector out of the port, and when the latch is still engaged they break it.

You have to live with CCS for a while to grasp just how superior the Tesla plug is by comparison. The Tesla solution also has lights to tell the user when to remove the connector. That is **so** useful, and it is missing on CCS. I'm letting a friend use our CCS car for a few days, so I gave some thought to how to instruct him in DCFC use and not cause damage. Ughh
I have not had that experience with CCS, but I don’t use it in the US, where the primary providers seem determined to make everything shoddy. I’m confident YMMV.

SMS with:
- "79° in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "AQI 84 in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "Water level XX in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- etc.

...from a IoT sensor spanning every street across a city would be entirely helpful and a great use for Starlink in cities. Then, pair that message to automated systems for city management, transportation management, and Google Maps + Navigation (as an example)...
I think the most likely usage is even more terse, "target AAAA at grid ref XXX,YYY" with no need for fancy satcom terminals. Hmmmm .... maybe latency will matter for designating fast movers, this is that edge case. Standby to see those laser links get authorised PDQ.

Reactions: betstarship
Nice to see the shift to the left (Buy/Outperform) consistently increasing.

1662567775942.png
Might there be hope for more analysts waking up and smelling the roses?

@unk45

Electric Vehicle Sales and Market Share (US - Updated Monthly) says Tata and Stellantis has 0 BEV sales in the US in 2021. Are you confusing PHEV with BEV or do you have a source that says they sold BEVs in 2021 in the US?

I never typed a word about reliability related to connector type. Either you are reading into the study I linked to and assuming I wrote the study or you are imagining that I wrote something I didn't write for some other reason.
Tata: Jaguar iPace, Stellantis: Fiat 500e compliance car cá 2013 and new 500 BEV.
you said 0 in 2021. Not many people liked either one in 2021 but they were sold. The Jagjar BEV sales were dropping by then, but still sold.

i wasn’t confused. Your source seems to have been.

As for reliability, I mentioned that because AFAIK the only really reliable US charging network is Tesla. Whether we like it ir not CCS has become the European standard, as well as dominant outside China and Japan. Tesla is already supporting that in the EU, and is about to in the US.

I expect them to do so sooner or later. Not just to make M3 cheaper to build but to free up some much needed Fremont factory space.
Redesigning Model 3 has a fixed cost. Elon said as much as M3 rear end being pain in the butt. But it works.
MY lines in F/S/B are shorter than a M3 lines in F/S.
Also lets wait out how it turns out for the Model Y before we jump all the way in :)

I'd weigh the risk of IDRA being bought by someone else in my vetting process...as well as them not moving fast enough for my innovation curve.
Great point. If I were VW, I would simply buy IDRA and stop Tesla on its tracks. That alone is worth $15B for VW and Toyota and everyone else who are threatened by Tesla.

Compared to human flesh, all cars have hard outer shells. Very few have enough give to prevent serious injury, particularly not at the corners where impact is concentrated. The relatively sharper angles are a bigger concern with the Cybertruck, but hopefully the build in safety features will mitigate that. The best vehicle versus pedestrian collision is no collision.
If your head hits the hood, it makes a big difference how hard it is. Euro NCAP even maps that:
Euro-NCAP-Head-impact.png

That said, we can definitely agree that no impact is best and Tesla is improving rapidly on active collision avoidance - this is also from the recent tests with Model Y:

Oil and natural gas continuing their slides lower. Oil bearing $80/barrel. Gas prices have continued to drop daily/weekly.

Yeah….how bout those comparisons to inflation in the 70’s/80’s again 🙄. What a bunch of BS the inflation fear narrative has been. We’re about to see a collapse in inflation in the coming 2-3 months

Chinese and European economies are rapidly decelerating, putting downward pressure on prices.

If your head hits the hood, it makes a big difference how hard it is. Euro NCAP even maps that:
Euro-NCAP-Head-impact.png

That said, we can definitely agree that no impact is best and Tesla is improving rapidly on active collision avoidance - this is also from the recent tests with Model Y:
Not clear if the hood of the Cybertruck is going to be 3mm thick, is that even part of the exoskeleton? This is a good argument for why it shouldn't be. The hood on my Model Y is super flexible... feels like it's much less rigid than the side panels.

But the illustration is a car. Pickup trucks will map significantly differently. Not that I think Tesla should use modern trucks as a benchmark, but just the visibility differences between the Cybertruck and a typical North American pickup truck should massively reduce pedestrian impacts. Not sure about the softness of the hood, but the wedge shape should significantly mitigate the effects of an impact.

Last edited: