Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of us seem to assume that nobody other that Tesla is adopting GigaPresses. Here is a recent article correcting that assumption:

Since we also tend to underestimate manufacturers not well known in the Europe/NA world this little deal from 2019 is helping the Sino-Canadian forces to combine, albeit through the Austrian arm of the Canadians:

Disclosure: I have vested interest in some fo the entities mentioned in my last two posts.
I wish Tesla buys IDRA. Just like how they bought the automation company Grohmann

Last edited:
Oil and natural gas continuing their slides lower. Oil bearing $80/barrel. Gas prices have continued to drop daily/weekly.

Yeah….how bout those comparisons to inflation in the 70’s/80’s again 🙄. What a bunch of BS the inflation fear narrative has been. We’re about to see a collapse in inflation in the coming 2-3 months

Do Reduced Wait Times mean a Reduced Backlog? I'm not so sure.

Delivery wait times not only factor increases in production at all four vehicle plants but also takes into consideration the increased capacity expected in Q4 2022 and Q1 2023. It is possible that the backlog is the same or greater even if the wait times come down.
It is also possible the backlog has come down as there have been huge price increases and a weakening economy.
One way we may know is to look at the Customer Deposits on the Balance Sheet when Q3 is published. It that number goes up, I suspect the backlog has not dropped.

The increase of $94m in Q4 2021 and $200m in Q1 2023 (see chart below) had the effect of an increasing backlog and the fact that Tesla changed deposits from $100 to $250 in the US on Aug 2021. But the $100 deposit backlog is all but flushed out as of today so any change in the Customer Order amount in Q3 should be driven by orders.

The customer orders cover Energy and Auto and within Auto the Semi, CT and Roadster but I believe the movement in this number is driven mainly from the churn on the S3XY auto orders.

Let's see what the Q3 numbers show us.

1662558376971.png

Oil and natural gas continuing their slides lower. Oil bearing $80/barrel. Gas prices have continued to drop daily/weekly.

Yeah….how bout those comparisons to inflation in the 70’s/80’s again 🙄. What a bunch of BS the inflation fear narrative has been. We’re about to see a collapse in inflation in the coming 2-3 months
It's almost like much of this has been driven by a supply shock vs monetary policy.

So, a couple years of people bored at home with few goods to spend money on due to the pandemic and then a stupid war messing with commodity prices caused prices to go up across the board but as supply stabilizes prices are coming back down? Weird!

The plunging yen is something to keep an eye on IMHO. It’s starting to turn into a disorderly rout, and Japan has so much debt that raising rates would basically instantaneously bankrupt the country.

At current FX rates Japans economy is probably smaller than Germany’s now. As I said yesterday California is probably larger than both of them now! 😳

Agree.

Japan is in a lot of trouble. Lack of fossil fuels means their energy imports have risen more in proportion than other major economies, this has turned their traditional trade surpless into a deficit. The chip shortage seems to have hit manufacturing hard, further hurting exports. Like other major economies they have responded to COVID and the fuel price shock by raising government spending, but starting from very high government debt this has pushed Debt/GDP to unsustainable levels if interest rate were to rise.

As a consequence of that the value of the Yen continues to fall (about half the fall is due to the strength of the dollar).

This makes Japanese exports cheaper. If Japan is very lucky they might have an export boom, which together with a stabalisation in oil and drop in natural gas prices, and a fall in other commodity prices leads to a trade surpless again. The export boom would increase GDP/capita which would increase tax income allowing the deficit to be reduced. If they manage to thread the needle they might be OK.

In the longer term they need to reduce government debt below 100% of GDP, to be in line with other major economies. This would allow increases in government spending when the next crisis hits, as it inevitably will.

Japan needs to get off fossil fuels as quickly as possible. Unfortunately for Japan, their car industry has made a series of poor choises.

I wish Tesla buys IDRA. Just like how they bought the automation company Grohmann
Grohmann is a multidisciplinary engineering automation and service company. Value was in talent and knowledge. Tesla phased out their 3rd party contracts.
IDRA is a casting machine design and integration subsidiary of L.K. Technology (which also makes the presses) whose value is in sales of machines. They would not be a viable acquisition unless Tesla continued selling presses to 3rd parties.

As long as Tesla stays in the front on IDRA orders, and IDRA keeps innovating to meet Tesla's needs, there is no great advantage to be gained from buying them.

Why would anyone use Starlink in a city?
Well.. you are not living in germany ..

In the EU-Ranking we pay the most for the worst service.. and rank similar to european countries like Azerbaidjan...

Running gag: How you know you enter/leave germany? Phone-Reception and internet suddenly gets good/terrible.

Grohmann is a multidisciplinary engineering automation and service company. Value was in talent and knowledge. Tesla phased out their 3rd party contracts.
IDRA is a casting machine design and integration subsidiary of L.K. Technology (which also makes the presses) whose value is in sales of machines. They would not be a viable acquisition unless Tesla continued selling presses to 3rd parties.

As long as Tesla stays in the front on IDRA orders, and IDRA keeps innovating to meet Tesla's needs, there is no great advantage to be gained from buying them.
I'd weigh the risk of IDRA being bought by someone else in my vetting process...as well as them not moving fast enough for my innovation curve.

Why would anyone use Starlink in a city?

They would not normally. This thread has been about Starlink's new capability to offer limited mobile/cell phone service and what that means in terms of SMS messaging for the USA. It seems to be able to cope with the total rate of messages, but probably not the concentration within cities.

The new limited capability is really meant as fill-in for underserved remote areas without mobile/cell coverage where it can do voice and low rate data, but also has a secondary purpose to provide an emergency backup in the event of natural disasters. An SMS message like "Help I'm trapped and the water is rising" would be a life-saver.

They would not normally. This thread has been about Starlink's new capability to offer limited mobile/cell phone service and what that means in terms of SMS messaging for the USA. It seems to be able to cope with the total rate of messages, but probably not the concentration within cities.

The new limited capability is really meant as fill-in for underserved remote areas without mobile/cell coverage where it can do voice and low rate data, but also has a secondary purpose to provide an emergency backup in the event of natural disasters. An SMS message like "Help I'm trapped and the water is rising" would be a life-saver.

SMS with:
- "79° in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "AQI 84 in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- "Water level XX in zip code xxxxx or street X"
- etc.

...from a IoT sensor spanning every street across a city would be entirely helpful and a great use for Starlink in cities. Then, pair that message to automated systems for city management, transportation management, and Google Maps + Navigation (as an example)...

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Both of you appear to be confusing Teslas cash on hand (which is more than 14B, but not THAT MUCH more) and Musks personal wealth (which is about 12-15x more than Teslas cash on hand)
TSLA stock is cheap to those in the know, and very much available as currency to buy.

Honestly, if IDRA is for sale, that would be one of those preemptive buys to make sure no other company snatches it.