Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may be wrong. I listened to it again and it does seem that he is saying sale price not production cost.

I hope it's not true though. A Bot with any kind of skill set is worth six figures. As a shareholder, I don't want him to sell them for 20K.

We sell FSD for 15K and a Bot is far more valuable. Maybe Bot software will be sold separately?
Mission

If Tesla can get the Optimus to make more Optimii dirt cheap then we must sell them dirt cheap. The world will change for the better. We will have enough rewards. And so will everyone else in the form of cheap Optimii.

I am not saying this will happen. I am definitely in a show me state at the moment. And I don’t mean Missouri.

Cameras mounted in that manner would allow Optimus to see and react to things in a 360° view much like a Tesla vehicle. Be interesting to see how they take advantage of that. Just because Optimus resembles a human doesn't mean it has to do things (like seeing) exactly like a human does...
On the other hand that's more inputs to deal with. Humans do fine without eyes in the back of their heads.

On the other hand that's more inputs to deal with. Humans do fine without eyes in the back of their heads.
True, but perhaps Optimus can do better... never know. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the question has been asked and I'll trust what the Tesla/Optimus team decides on... they're doing a pretty good job so far IMHO!

Reactions: MC3OZ

End of the month goal 5k/week. Let's say an average of somewhere between 2k and 5k for the quarter, let's say 3k for 14.023 weeks, that's 42069 cars.
Watching the Berlin/ Austin ramps closely because of my Cybertruck pre-order.

Hopefully it’ll go quicker than this, I should be around 50,000th into the deliveries and I’d sure love to see mine before Christmas next year. These numbers are not encouraging.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
There is a 1:1 correlation between companies with lots of hate “fans” and companies that have enemies with deep pockets.

Apple’s haters were fanned by Google, Samsung, and Microsoft. (And to some extent the reverse). These companies piled billions into advertising and PR campaigns trashing Apple and it worked, they got their little army that parroted their talking points.

Tesla haters… most of the auto industry hates Tesla. They are forcing a huge industry change and destroying profitability across the board. Even the auto rags and media are getting hit as Tesla doesn’t send money their way.

Brands where there are no big deep pockets companies trying to drum up hate don’t have big haters. The people who don’t like them have little to nothing to say because they aren’t spoon fed hate-chow they can lap up and serve out every day.

This kind of brand hate doesn’t exist unless someone is feeding it with money to keep the rumors and FUD flowing.

Brands that have vocal advocates tend to be the same brands which are being disruptive and that means they have people with deep pockets targeting them.
Any "opposition" to opposing ideas, beliefs or principles engenders strong feelings in this country (I assume worldwide but won't speak for others). There was massive amounts of hate for Donald Trump in his day, just as there is for Joe Biden now. There is hate among the pro-AWG crowd directed at as they call them "deniers", there is hate directed at the AWG crowd who see them destroying the economy or lifestyle. There is "distaste" at least towards Apple as you say, and from the Apple fanboys towards the Android crowd. There is hate among Bills fans towards the Dolphins. None of that supports come belief that there is some vast conspiracy generating that hate through fake advertisements-at least not in all cases. We're human beings-we are more than capable of digging in and supporting "our side" and seeing those that disagree with our opinions as "enemies". We certainly see it on this forum. The attacks on Mary Barra as "leading in electrification" was a perfect example (and frankly one I happen to share).

Point being, there is no vast conspiracy fomenting hate towards Elon, or towards ICE vehicles or coal plants. We all do it just fine all on our own, and need to grow up sometimes and admit it.

Last edited:
Yes, but humans are pretty ok at noticing things behind them via audio. It’s not clear if Optimus uses audio for locating things at all. I know deaf people get along just fine also, but we are in general pretty good at dealing with blended inputs.

Reactions: TN Mtn Man
Exactly how I feel having devoted my entire youth to medicine and molecular biology. Wish I could go back!

When I filled my college application, my choices were Mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and software engineering in one school and Med school, physics or mathematics in another school.

When I look at this AI day video, it almost makes me regret not selecting engineering first. To work on designing a humanoid robot would probably have been the most interesting project in a lifetime. As to either choose long cords with pulley systems like tendons to make the hands move versus using local small motors and actuators at every joint is debatable. Damaging a tendon makes you lose he motion of 3 joints but is smaller to implement. Losing the functionality of one motor makes you lose only one joint but is increasingly complex to program to have a precision combination of mouvement in complex tasks.
I retired a year ago from a career in mechanical engineering (primarily manufacturing/tool engineering, product design and controls). Seeing what Tesla and SpaceX are doing has me wishing I were starting my career rather than ending it. The opportunity to work at companies like those in engineering and have a chance to make such a mark on the future would be amazing.

I grew up in the era of the first moon landing, shuttle launches, supersonic transports. Look at what people that were born in the early 1900s experienced. The electrification of the country, the development of the airplane and commercial air travel. Automobile industry. Culminating with nuclear power plants and the moon landings. For decades since it seems like the rate of human progress has slowed so dramatically. We haven't put a man on the moon in 50 years. No SST. No (widespread) flying cars. Growing up in the 60s/70s, we assumed that autonomous vehicles (let alone flying ones) were just around the corner. I remember a show called Space 1999, about a manned base on the moon-that we assumed was a vision of the near future. Now, finally, largely through Musk companies we're seeing those things start to come to pass. Watching Falcon/Falcon heavy boosters and Starship protos land tail-first on their launch pads (frankly seems like something out of a 1950s sci-fy movie) gets me excited again, and reaffirms the power and capability of the human mind, and what science and engineering can bring to humanity. Would be fun to be part of that.

One thing about an EE degree-if you graduated when I did, as an EE you weren't dealing with AI and humanoid robots.

When you contrast that with Boston Dynamics (who I've admired since their initial buzzing dog videos), they are optimizing for fluidity of motion and lifelike kinematics. But their programming is AFAIK completely based upon heuristics, which means they will never be able to scale in a complex environment, like a factory. They are as dumb as the Kuka robotic arms. In other words, the robot will unlikely make a decision to do a back flip in response to an environmental change, unless programmed specifically to do so in very specific and rigid conditions.
To me, this makes Tesla's "useful first" approach vastly superior in the long term.

Ok I don't think I've ever replied to my own post, but I have to clarify what I said. I dug a little deeper into Boston Dynamics and feel like I've oversimplified their work.

BD's target customer historically was the military. The buzzing dog model was intended to help transport cargo in terrain where wheeled vehicles would struggle, like a dense forest. They've since made newer models that can carry more while being significantly quieter (no more buzzing). They also have mini robots intended to be close-contact recon/spy devices. And while they never push this idea in their YT videos (likely due to sparking Terminator fears), their humanoid robots may have soldier-like applications, where agility and parkour-like abilities would be extremely helpful.

So, BD robots are designed to be useful in narrow military applications, where the primary product advantage is to spare humans from a high-risk environment. They are also pushing the physical capabilities of robots, like faster locomotion, better balance, etc. Some of their robots have some capability to understand their surroundings, like Spot, the yellow dog robot. This robot is used primarily for reconnaissance and can be useful for military and commercial applications. This robot has potential to be useful in a factory setting, perhaps enticing Hyundai to buy BD back in 2020.

So the main takeaway is that BD is also building useful robots, and they've advanced the field of robotics significantly, but their robots' usefulness tends to be narrower in scope than what Optimus aspires to. Tesla is intentionally focusing on the humanoid form, particularly on the usefulness of the hand, since we have one of the most dexterous hands in the animal kingdom. Coupled with a decent brain/AI, there's a lot of potential for usefulness.

So to try to move away from discussions (?) about hatred and fanboys...

Will Optimus have eyes on the back of it's head, or on the side of it's head, or all around it's head? Always wondered why they went with black for the shoulders and above and perhaps that's why (at least in the later versions). Cameras mounted in that manner would allow Optimus to see and react to things in a 360° view much like a Tesla vehicle. Be interesting to see how they take advantage of that. Just because Optimus resembles a human doesn't mean it has to do things (like seeing) exactly like a human does...
I've seen suggestions that the head doesn't move.

Elon regularly calls out the human head as being a very slow gimbal.

IMO 2 forward facing cameras for perspective, one on each side and one at the rear would do the job.

Maybe they only need 4, but the cost difference between 4 and 5 is probably not significant.

Ultrasound/radar/lidar might also be useful in the forward facing direction, if it helps more accurately measure the distance to objects.

I honestly don't even know why you are arguing. I am explaining the psychology of hate for Tesla induced by arrogant behavior from people who not only relentlessly defend Tesla but also put down others in the process. This is a natural occurrence and it's definitely not Tesla specific. Everything that ever existed has people who defends it to the death, and people who takes the contrarian viewpoint. So people who are frustrated by all the hate on twitter or reddit just know that it's expected and why it should be expected.

my take is @JRP3 point being tesla’s mere existence inspires hate in the usual suspects, the threatened, prior to fanboy social media proliferation…thus there was no argument

also the presumption of this being an argument, reinforces the social media dynamic that was the genesis of this discussion…all the more ironic

anyway, i still haven’t had the time to consume the whole presentation yet. just about 30%.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3
Yes, but humans are pretty ok at noticing things behind them via audio. It’s not clear if Optimus uses audio for locating things at all. I know deaf people get along just fine also, but we are in general pretty good at dealing with blended inputs.
The human ear never ceases to astound me at where it can place sound. Surround sound systems are one example where just two ears can hear things from multiple directions, now including height with Dolby Atmos (and others).
I could have sworn I saw a reference to Audio in one of the slides, but I don't remember if I heard it discussed. But one more tool in the toolbox!

Perhaps we'll see a model Y actually sit up on it's rear wheels and "transformer" into Optimus in a future vid... that would be cool!

• Funny
Reactions: Ogre and TN Mtn Man
I love that starlink could help after the hurricane but I hate that either the governor or the journalist that quoted him got that so wrong.

SpaceX won't be deploying satellites to Florida. They will deploy "user terminals", essentially Satellite Dishes + Routers.

As in they will ship boxes UPS or FedEx to Florida, they won't be redirecting satellites in space.

The satellites already cover all of Florida as they orbit the earth they move relative to the ground. But there are enough of them to always have one over that part of Florida without having to change a thing.

edit: from the video posted it was the governor that made the mistake.
yeah he botched that up pretty good.
but there’s a lot going on right now, so i’m inclined to give him a pass (or not split hairs, being that spacex isn’t and shouldnt be the focus) on that one.

hope all you fla residents are ok. i have lots of friends down there. god speed!

I may be wrong. I listened to it again and it does seem that he is saying sale price not production cost.

I hope it's not true though. A Bot with any kind of skill set is worth six figures. As a shareholder, I don't want him to sell them for 20K.

We sell FSD for 15K and a Bot is far more valuable. Maybe Bot software will be sold separately?
Following up on my previous post some bot software could even be an annual license.

For some industrial uses the company using the bot might pay for Tesla to do highly specific training on the bot and to do priority support on all issues.

However, elderly people using the bot for basic help to stay in their own home might find that the software cost is lower, Tesla might not be seeking to make a profit in that case.

I think the short answer is they can come up with any sales/licence model that they prefer, the competition will struggle to match the hardware cost. (At least until after the Chinese do a tear-down.)

Mission

If Tesla can get the Optimus to make more Optimii dirt cheap then we must sell them dirt cheap. The world will change for the better. We will have enough rewards. And so will everyone else in the form of cheap Optimii.

I am not saying this will happen. I am definitely in a show me state at the moment. And I don’t mean Missouri.
Since Moderators are not allowed to go after speeling misteaks, gramaticaliferous badbads and other such horrors, I am going to have to find some way to ban you to the 9th Circle of Hell for reasons other than for having created above a certain non-word.

Just you wait, Eliza Doolittle. Just. You. Wait.