Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, looking over the rest of the market, TSLA is actually holding up extremely well. Most of the other EV/auto stocks are down by a lot while we are just bopping around the red+green line.
Tesla's "recalls" are just OTA software updates while Rivian's recall is a steering problem hardware based. Making actual stuff is hard.

Tesla's "recalls" are just OTA software updates while Rivian's recall is a steering problem hardware based. Making actual stuff is hard.

FWIW Tesla has had physical recalls too. Not always fast to resolve ones either.

Still waiting for them to take any action on the rear camera wiring harness recall from late 2021 on my car for example...I did get notice in the mail not too long after the recall they'd eventually inspect my harness and either replace it or add a cover to the area that tends to wear out due to the defect. Neither has happened 6+ months later though. Camera still works so it's fine right now, but does seem the longer they wait to put the protective cover on cars the more actual harness replacements they'll have to do.

Even more odd- Mobile service has been out to me twice since the recall- both perfect chances to do the work- including just this past Friday to replace my dying 12v battery... and they didn't even mention it either time.

Sorry if this was posted already (this thread moves so fast). Alexandra Merz makes the case for TSLA stock buyback.

She provides a lot of "breadcrumbs" that seem to indicate that a buyback is imminent, notably:

- S&P credit rating increase and report was gushing and it felt like TSLA may have collaborated w/ S&P in the process to obtain the increase.
- Apple and Microsoft have historically appealed the ratings agencies for favorable ratings so they could better issue debt to finance buybacks
- While the stock is currently battered, Tesla can buy back more shares with the same amount of cash
- Tesla can undo shareholder dilution due to employee stock incentive programs
- The Inflation Reduction Act, which kicks in 2023, will start imposing a 1% excise tax on buybacks, so doing one in 2022 is advantageous

Of course this is all speculative, so use the info accordingly. TSLA needs to reserve cash for unforeseen headwinds like recession, nukes, etc.

I'm still curious about these 2023 Model 3LR's that are shown in inventory and will supposedly be available for pickup in Nov/Dec 2022. Good looking rigs and at good prices too.

Here's some of the info from the ordering page:

Vehicle Availability​

This vehicle is part of a limited supply expected to be built and available for delivery this November or December. By placing this order, you are agreeing to take delivery before the end of 2022 calendar year. If Tesla is not able to build a vehicle for your order in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund.

If anyone knows what prompted this, please post. Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited:
Today, in a few articles I've perused there has been the inevitable mention of Tesla's competition. Examples abound about collaborations and how they are poised to BEGIN development of an EV platform, in response to pressure of their market trending in that direction. ... blah, blah, blah

A funny picture formed in my head of "the competition" represented as a sleeping person in bed.

Their alarm, sitting on the bedside table, has been going off to wake them up. Only, they keep hitting the snooze button and putting off the task, with a thought bubble above them reading, "I just need another five minutes sleep" ...before they get moving toward tackling the problems facing them.

I'm sure a semi-competent cartoonist would do a better job of conveying this image, but figured I'd share the proverbial thousand words instead. 😁

This product is quite something. Hopefully they can get the cost down one day. If you are unaware, Sanibel and Captiva are very "high rent" type places. Homes are not built with cheap materials and presumably expect some type of storm to be common.

Sooner or later the insurance companies will start taking note of how strong these roofs are.

I'm still curious about these 2023 Model 3LR's that are shown in inventory and will supposedly be available for pickup in Nov/Dec 2022. Good looking rigs and at good prices too.

Here's some of the info from the ordering page:

Vehicle Availability​

This vehicle is part of a limited supply expected to be built and available for delivery this November or December. By placing this order, you are agreeing to take delivery before the end of 2022 calendar year. If Tesla is not able to build a vehicle for your order in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund.

If anyone knows what prompted this, please post. Inquiring minds want to know!
We are all expecting a record Q4 that will knock everyone's socks off, myself included, but there must be a significant percentage (50% ? 75%? How about EVERYONE below the income thresholds?) of people in the USA who are scheduled for delivery from now until the EOY, who have decided that perhaps they would like to get paid a thousand dollars a week or so to wait until 2023. Thankfully this will not impact Tesla globally, but I believe that the company will have a lot of difficulty in North America, especially in the last month.

Who is going to take delivery on Dec 27th and forfeit 8K due them 5 days later? This is going to impact Tesla tremendously compared to almost all other BEV or OEM manufacturers. The legacies probably won't give a rat's ass. Rivian is too expensive to matter.

Of course, this means nothing come the New Year, but we might have some demand 'softness' in 4Q and Tesla is trying to deal with it from now. We might also see Tesla giving targeted price cuts to buyers move it all. Please consider how this may impact the SP given the current macros if bears can point to 'yet another' Q with declining demand.

Of course, this means nothing come the New Year, but we might have some demand 'softness' in 4Q and Tesla is trying to deal with it from now. We might also see Tesla giving targeted price cuts to buyers move it all. Please consider how this may impact the SP given the current macros if bears can point to 'yet another' Q with declining demand.
Or will we see price increases in Q1 to offset that cash? If the economy isn't in the toilet I don't think that's impossible.

We are all expecting a record Q4 that will knock everyone's socks off, myself included, but there must be a significant percentage (50% ? 75%? How about EVERYONE below the income thresholds?) of people in the USA who are scheduled for delivery from now until the EOY, who have decided that perhaps they would like to get paid a thousand dollars a week or so to wait until 2023. Thankfully this will not impact Tesla globally, but I believe that the company will have a lot of difficulty in North America, especially in the last month.

Who is going to take delivery on Dec 27th and forfeit 8K due them 5 days later? This is going to impact Tesla tremendously compared to almost all other BEV or OEM manufacturers. The legacies probably won't give a rat's ass. Rivian is too expensive to matter.

First - S and X deliveries should be unaffected, they don't qualify for the credit. Same as with Model 3 (SR has wrong battery, LR is a bit of an unknown but currently too expensive, and P is way too expensive). That leaves the Y. There are a lot of people deferring to Q1 (my BIL is one of them). But there are a lot of people that simply won't ever qualify for the tax credit due to income, and those people will get bumped up the list and get their orders sooner than everyone else.

I don't really suspect waiting for Q1 to be a material impact to Tesla due to the above.

Plus, we could always ship a crap-ton of cars up to Canada for Q4, since the tax credit doesn't affect those buyers.

Haven’t there been price increases through the year and long wait times in North America? I’m thinking for a lot of people taking delivery this year locked in their car at lower prices. If they were to cancel now they would have to wait for their car even longer and they might not save too much money.

Who is going to take delivery on Dec 27th and forfeit 8K due them 5 days later?
Nobody, since the critical minerals requirement is likely not satisfied; and, depending on pack sourcing, that isn't in play either.
All pending Treasury Secretary guidance.

Plus the stick of order cancelation/ reset to end of the line current pricing.

My guess is a leasing special. The residual is sooo high, they could really make a one time really attractive monthly payment.

Wireless energy transfer in space and globally. Should be able to happen, ESA is thinking about it now. Was SpaceX really just launching millions of satellites at a non zero cost so we could watch cat videos on YouTube?
Satellite power grid would beam energy around the globe just like dataSatellite power grid would beam energy around the globe just like data

Yeah, agreed... hate to bring it up actually because they're going to scream demand demand demand when buyers are just being prudent (I know if I were in a buying position right now it would seriously warrant consideration).

So where are these 3's coming from, GigaAustin? They must be making a bunch because I've checked zipcodes across the country and they're all alike.

Edit: Also wild is that the delivery times for "new" 3 and Y performance is now as quick as Oct and as late as Apr. 2023 (for Y LR). Is Giga Austin really cranking up or what?

Last edited:
Easy enough for Tesla to handle these couple months without losing margin, let alone a temporary demand blip in the US. Surprised to see it even floated here.

I assume these LR models available for Nov/Dec are the backup plan in case folks holding reservations at cheaper prices choose not to take delivery until the IRAct hits in 2023.

Haven't worked it out in detail like many here do, but I assume we're still working through a LOT of reservations well below current pricing. Even in this thread we're hearing those reservation holders are now being told to buy or lose their pricing. I'd imagine that list is longer than all 4Q production, so most will simply choose to buy now rather than wait to get the same net price in May/Jun.

I expect this may even be a small part of the heavy "inventory" at the end of 3Q. Tesla unsure if exactly who is going to get this near term production. These are the advantages having a line stretched around the block.