Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You think Musk selling shares months ago had a bigger impact on the October SP than for example the earnings report with significantly lower deliveries than expected?
Well look mate. You can't have it both ways. So before we continue down this narrative let me ask you.

Do you think we are down 25% because of Elon?

Or do you think we are down 25% because the fundamentals of the company are messed up?

Well look mate. You can't have it both ways. So before we continue down this narrative let me ask you.

Or do you think we are down 25% because the fundamentals of the company are messed up?
So you think the SP is completely detached from earnings and results?

That's a weird position to take.

Happy Halloween! Cheers to the longs!

Attachments

• PXL_20221101_013345469.jpg
    PXL_20221101_013345469.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 127
Just a reminder to make sure you have signed the Congressional petition to make the Tesla charging standard the new North American charge standard so the IRA doesn't waste millions of dollars on a bulky but inferior and more expensive standard only used by 25% of EV's in N. America. Aptera started the petition and I'm hoping this petition takes off like wildfire! Here's a link so you can sign and/or donate to get the word out faster:

It's absolute madness to continue propagating the CCS charging standard in N. America when 75% of EV's use a superior, less costly standard and those numbers are continuing to expand in favor of the Tesla charging standard. Please sign the petition and send links to non-TMC members!

Last edited:
So you think the SP is completely detached from earnings and results?

That's a weird position to take.
Why do you answer my question with another question? That seems like a good way to not get anywhere.

These are definitely the only options. Checkmate.

This is a triumph.

Feel free to join in on the conversation. Here is the quote below. You can answer it with more options if you like

"You think Musk selling shares months ago had a bigger impact on the October SP than for example the earnings report with significantly lower deliveries than expected?"

Even if this is true, it is not big deal, in fact it is a standard operating practise that many use.

What Elon is doing is finding out what exactly is happening at Twitter, the state of the code, who is doing useful work, who knows what they are doing, who makes a useful contribution. In other words get the facts from people Elon can trust.

Any senior staff that work on important projects at Tesla will have a brief stay, and may visit for brief further reviews on a regular basis.

They will not be working extra hours (but they probably already work long hours), it is just a brief interesting diversion from their normal work.

The journalist thinks the split of staff time between Tesla and Twitter is news, but it isn't important. Technically if the Tesla staff are consulting at Twitter, Tesla should be paid a suitable amount by Twitter. If the time at Twitter impacted on their ability to do their normal work at Tesla it would be relevant, but the type if review I expect that they are doing at Twitter is not that time consuming.

This story is surfacing for 2 reasons:-
  1. Journalists are desperate to find something negative to write about Elon and twitter.
  2. Twitter staff don't like experts looking over their shoulder.
Once they identify where additional competencies are needed I expect Twitter will hire additional staff, and any current staff would are not making a meaningful contribution will not last long.

Some Twitter staff probably know that they don't contribute much, and hope that bleating to the media may ensure that they can keep their job.

The flip side is it will not be hard to find motivated quality people in the existing pool of staff at Twitter, and empower them to contribute a lot more.

It is important to establish very early on that technical staff can't afford to relay incomplete, inaccurate or misleading information to management, and if they try that, they will be found out.
Agree with your comments (I posted the link and quoted that particular part for interests sake - not making a good/bad judgement on it).

Reactions: MC3OZ
It's a pretty sound theory that the CEO selling large amounts of shares to buy an unrelated company and Tweeting what many would consider rather questionable things could cause investors to lose confidence. That could lead to selling and/or reluctance to buy. I'm an example of both where in the past I would have been buying a dip aggressively. I know I'm not alone in this.
I agree with you @JRP3 that the media that 1/2 the country tunes into has been sharing a pretty negative message of Elon lately - and that message includes a Twitter takeover that the left seems more concerned about and much more negative about. And the larger percent of early Tesla EV owners and TSLA retail stock owners probably came from that demographic. And I can certainly believe that a portion of those early retail share holders from that demographic are upset regarding the message they are hearing from the same media that originally encouraged them to buy those vehicles and helped make their decision to buy stock. And as you suggest, perhaps a portion of that portion are so loyal to their political attachments that they will look past the environmental benefits that likely drove their purchases in the first place and they will remove their TSLA stock attachment by selling their stock. Makes sense to me.

But that would be only a portion of a portion of about half the US. We know the other half of the US - that half that originally disliked Elon and Tesla because of the messages of Elon and Tesla that their media choices had previously bombarded them with have been hearing a very different message lately than the ones shared on the more likely media choices of the average TMC investor. And a much larger portion of that other half of the country is now viewing Elon as a hero for taking on the main stream media, and for his efforts in their eyes to restore free speech……because they are getting bombarded with a very different message than that message of your choice.

As I have stated many times before, I neither like nor trust either side of the aisle - but I keep an eye on both as an investor - keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And the media support for Elon on the right that you likely haven’t seen is more than enough to balance out the angry Elon message from the left IMO. And it is creating many new Tesla EV and TSLA stock owners - probably at a rate that is at least equal to the rate that portion of a portion from the left is departing. I saw it in Idaho and I see it here in Florida. There are literally lengthy segments of the most popular commentaries from the right that are calling on people to support Elon in this fight, such as this one - (note the YouTube title for this rebroadcast - “The Left is Trying to Destroy Elon Musk”):

We don’t have to agree with all of its content, but there is certainly a huge audience regardless. Furthermore, I have also long said that it will eventually be the Big Money, not the democrats, that put the most horsepower behind the transition to solar and batteries. And Big Money will be doing this only because of a far more favorable Levelized Cost of Energy for renewables - and that decision to make that transition to renewables will be 100% driven by the bottom line, and 0% driven by emotion. And Big Money includes a hell of a lot of Republicans. And I have to wonder if it isn’t some of those Big Money republicans that are attempting to help throw Elon and Tesla a lifeline in their media sources because his solutions are clearly better for their bottom line.

My point is that while I don’t always agree with all Elon does either, both Elon and Tesla have now found themselves in the most enviable of positions - where they have brought products to the world that have created such efficiencies in the most effective manner, and done so at a time when those products are so desperately needed, that the real battle that is being waged behind the FUD is one to be first in line to these products and to the minds that made them possible. Whether they are fleet operators, or grid operators, or whales wanting the cheapest shares of TSLA possible

And that is why I agreed with @Right_Said_Fred earlier - because it is important that we recognize that we are all subjected to group think from time to time on this forum - because the demographic of this forum was primarily formed by that first demographic of EV owners and TSLA stock buyers whose media sources were the first to back Elon/TSLA. But in the US at least, that’s only about half the message because it represents only about half the population. And if the message that you are hearing is that your demographic is running from TSLA, then perhaps we should consider that the demographic that doesn’t represent you is actually doing a pretty darn good job reversing the trend on TSLA share price in the last few weeks.

Last edited:

I think TSLA is down because the market as a whole is down. Inflation is still high and the Fed is still pushing us, ALL of us, into a recession.

However, I also think none of us know for certain, and anyone claiming they DO know for certain is either foolish or pushing an agenda.

I'm still holding my TSLA for the very long term, 5-10 years minimum, because it's the best method to mitigate the short term crap we are dealing with as investors.

I'd implore anyone who doesn't like the way Elon is running Tesla to sell their stock and invest into a company they are happy with, because life is too short to be miserable on purpose.

And Big Money will be doing this only because of a far more favorable Levelized Cost of Energy for renewables - and that decision to make that transition to renewables will be 100% driven by the bottom line, and 0% driven by emotion.
Big Money doesn't like uncertainty and a wild card in management, on either side. I think you are making a number of mistaken assumptions in your post but can't respond further because this will all likely end up in quarantine or deleted.