Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info mate! Are premium music services like Tidal or Qobuz available?

I have Tidal (you pay for that seperately, I think it's $10/mo.). I believe you can use Tidal without Premium Connectivity because it will download a few hundred Hi-Fi songs via Wi-fi and write them to system memory for playback while driving. I have not figured out a way to load them onto my connected 500GB SSD (except for using a laptop and software that records directly from the audio output). AFAIK, downloading the songs in advance is the only way to listen to Tidal's "hi-fi" bitrate because even if you have Premium Connectivity it will only stream Tidal in regular MP3 quality. The difference in sound quality is significant. To be clear, you can download the hi-fi versions directly to the cars memory via wi-fi and play them as you drive. I use this feature because I am often driving in areas with zero cellular coverage.

As far as how many owners are paying for Premium Connectivity, I think the take rate must be well over 75% of those who don't have it for free. The number of cars with lifetime free Premium Connectivity is probably a small percentage of all Tesla on the road and shrinking every month. I'm not sure exactly when the free Premium Connectivity ended but my wife's Model 3 came with it in May 2018 and my Model 3P did not in Sept. 2018. So, it must have been between those dates which implies the vast majority of Tesla on the road don't have free Premium Connectivity for life and must pay for it if they want to continue using it after the trial period ends.

There is no question IN MY MIND that the stock would be higher now if he had never started with the Twitter takeover bid and all the ensuing drama including his latest ill advised Tweet. Compounding errors add up.
FTFY

Speak for yourself. Nearly every attempt at blanket generalization will generally be false.

I have Tidal (you pay for that seperately, I think it's $10/mo.). I believe you can use Tidal without Premium Connectivity because it will download a few hundred Hi-Fi songs via Wi-fi and write them to system memory for playback while driving. I have not figured out a way to load them onto my connected 500GB SSD (except for using a laptop and software that records directly from the audio output). AFAIK, downloading the songs in advance is the only way to listen to Tidal's "hi-fi" bitrate because even if you have Premium Connectivity it will only stream Tidal in regular MP3 quality. The difference in sound quality is significant. To be clear, you can download the hi-fi versions directly to the cars memory via wi-fi and play them as you drive. I use this feature because I am often driving in areas with zero cellular coverage.

As far as how many owners are paying for Premium Connectivity, I think the take rate must be well over 75% of those who don't have it for free. The number of cars with lifetime free Premium Connectivity is probably a small percentage of all Tesla on the road and shrinking every month. I'm not sure exactly when the free Premium Connectivity ended but my wife's Model 3 came with it in May 2018 and my Model 3P did not in Sept. 2018. So, it must have been between those dates which implies the vast majority of Tesla on the road don't have free Premium Connectivity for life and must pay for it if they want to continue using it after the trial period ends.
Interesting... Can you play Master or MQA files?

I agree with you @JRP3 that the media that 1/2 the country tunes into has been sharing a pretty negative message of Elon lately - and that message includes a Twitter takeover that the left seems more concerned about and much more negative about. And the larger percent of early Tesla EV owners and TSLA retail stock owners probably came from that demographic. And I can certainly believe that a portion of those early retail share holders from that demographic are upset regarding the message they are hearing from the same media that originally encouraged them to buy those vehicles and helped make their decision to buy stock. And as you suggest, perhaps a portion of that portion are so loyal to their political attachments that they will look past the environmental benefits that likely drove their purchases in the first place and they will remove their TSLA stock attachment by selling their stock. Makes sense to me.
Look at threads like the one below and we can see crap turning and turning and people who are harping on Elon, don't even know wtf they are angry about.

Interesting... Can you play Master or MQA files?

Afik if you download the tracks (or on wifi) it will play hifi (up to 16/44.1) but it wont do MQA/master. The car can play flac via USB but MQA takes a lot of processing..?

Over prem connectivity you get the lower tier of quality whilst streaming but its better than spotify ever is.

• Informative
Reactions: unk45 and wipster
Big Money doesn't like uncertainty and a wild card in management, on either side. I think you are making a number of mistaken assumptions in your post but can't respond further because this will all likely end up in quarantine or deleted.
Big money doesn’t like complete QAnon whack jobs as the the CEO of companies they invest in. I’ll say it again. The board needs to have a plan for dealing with this. He’s only going to get worse.

Jmho.

Afik if you download the tracks (or on wifi) it will play hifi (up to 16/44.1) but it wont do MQA/master. The car can play flac via USB but MQA takes a lot of processing..?

Over prem connectivity you get the lower tier of quality whilst streaming but its better than spotify ever is.
Thanks mate! Yes to get all of MQA it has to be "unfolded" twice. You can get one unfold through a cell phone or a computer, but it takes a special DAC to get the second... however it is worth it, stunning, at least as good as 24/96 Hi Res to my old ears, especially through a good set of cans.

I agree with you @JRP3 that the media that 1/2 the country tunes into has been sharing a pretty negative message of Elon lately - and that message includes a Twitter takeover that the left seems more concerned about and much more negative about. And the larger percent of early Tesla EV owners and TSLA retail stock owners probably came from that demographic. And I can certainly believe that a portion of those early retail share holders from that demographic are upset regarding the message they are hearing from the same media that originally encouraged them to buy those vehicles and helped make their decision to buy stock. And as you suggest, perhaps a portion of that portion are so loyal to their political attachments that they will look past the environmental benefits that likely drove their purchases in the first place and they will remove their TSLA stock attachment by selling their stock. Makes sense to me.

But that would be only a portion of a portion of about half the US. We know the other half of the US - that half that originally disliked Elon and Tesla because of the messages of Elon and Tesla that their media choices had previously bombarded them with have been hearing a very different message lately than the ones shared on the more likely media choices of the average TMC investor. And a much larger portion of that other half of the country is now viewing Elon as a hero for taking on the main stream media, and for his efforts in their eyes to restore free speech……because they are getting bombarded with a very different message than that message of your choice.

As I have stated many times before, I neither like nor trust either side of the aisle - but I keep an eye on both as an investor - keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And the media support for Elon on the right that you likely haven’t seen is more than enough to balance out the angry Elon message from the left IMO. And it is creating many new Tesla EV and TSLA stock owners - probably at a rate that is at least equal to the rate that portion of a portion from the left is departing. I saw it in Idaho and I see it here in Florida. There are literally lengthy segments of the most popular commentaries from the right that are calling on people to support Elon in this fight, such as this one - (note the YouTube title for this rebroadcast - “The Left is Trying to Destroy Elon Musk”):

We don’t have to agree with all of its content, but there is certainly a huge audience regardless. Furthermore, I have also long said that it will eventually be the Big Money, not the democrats, that put the most horsepower behind the transition to solar and batteries. And Big Money will be doing this only because of a far more favorable Levelized Cost of Energy for renewables - and that decision to make that transition to renewables will be 100% driven by the bottom line, and 0% driven by emotion. And Big Money includes a hell of a lot of Republicans. And I have to wonder if it isn’t some of those Big Money republicans that are attempting to help throw Elon and Tesla a lifeline in their media sources because his solutions are clearly better for their bottom line.

My point is that while I don’t always agree with all Elon does either, both Elon and Tesla have now found themselves in the most enviable of positions - where they have brought products to the world that have created such efficiencies in the most effective manner, and done so at a time when those products are so desperately needed, that the real battle that is being waged behind the FUD is one to be first in line to these products and to the minds that made them possible. Whether they are fleet operators, or grid operators, or whales wanting the cheapest shares of TSLA possible

And that is why I agreed with @Right_Said_Fred earlier - because it is important that we recognize that we are all subjected to group think from time to time on this forum - because the demographic of this forum was primarily formed by that first demographic of EV owners and TSLA stock buyers whose media sources were the first to back Elon/TSLA. But in the US at least, that’s only about half the message because it represents only about half the population. And if the message that you are hearing is that your demographic is running from TSLA, then perhaps we should consider that the demographic that doesn’t represent you is actually doing a pretty darn good job reversing the trend on TSLA share price in the last few weeks.
Also just to remind folks that politically speaking, the right is more sticky than the left. The left is full of random ideas that not everyone is on board with, hence why Elon is so polarizing within his own party while the right are older folks who have made up their mind and vote with their money. There's a reason why Fox news has more viewership than CNN+MSNBC combined.

I'm not here to say which side is right or wrong, but I agree that the positive sentiment Elon has picked up from the right outweighs the negative sentiment the left has of him. I for one is not extremely excited about Elon being so political, however the push of EV adoption is a strong polarizing left leaning agenda so it doesn't hurt the mission if we bring it to more center left.

Big Money doesn't like uncertainty and a wild card in management, on either side. I think you are making a number of mistaken assumptions in your post but can't respond further because this will all likely end up in quarantine or deleted.
Big money likes making money, and they like keeping the money they already have.

Globally about 50 Trillion Dollars of Fossil Fuel assets have a high risk of being very substantially reduced in value by a transition to clean energy and transport.

The question for money of all sizes is:-
Do they stay of the Fossil Fuels ship, or do they jump ship, and move into investments in clean energy and transport?
If investors decide to invest in clean energy and transport, Tesla is a good stock to include in the portfolio.

The smart money always jumps ship before the ship sinks.

I'll be surprised if a majority of the population factor their opinion of Elon heavily into their car buying decision, the smart move is buy the car which is best value for money and which suits your needs.

Those staying out of Tesla because of Elon may be staying on a leaky ship, or jumping ship to a smaller unproven vessel.
Everyone needs to make a decision, no decision is a default decision.

I should clarify - IMO Big Money sees absolutely nothing uncertain about the Hornsdale Energy Storage financial benefits at this point, and the line is long and growing to be the next mega pack customer. And Big Money sees the benefits of fleet EVs, and that line is long and growing. And Big Money sees the benefits of a distributed grid consisting of residential solar and batteries and Wall Street financing for those products (and coincidentally increasing rates just as a bill to incentivize those products helps improve their capacity on the grid and maximize financing opportunities without ever addressing insufficient compensation for net metering for those residential customers) - thus amplifying profits for those Big Money grid owners and residential solar lenders. Etc, etc. At this point it is extremely difficult to name a single major Tesla product that Big Money is also lining up to get. And it is extremely easy to envision Big Money falling all over themselves trying to obtain products that haven’t even been released yet for their businesses - such as the Tesla Semi, and perhaps most desirable will be Optimus. That is the ‘most enviable of positions’ that Tesla is in regardless of Twitter IMO

Last edited:
Look at threads like the one below and we can see crap turning and turning and people who are harping on Elon, don't even know wtf they are angry about.

"I'm going to get a Ford instead and possibility get stranded because EA is a unreliable POS but hey... that will stick it to Elon!"...

I find it funny that people actually think they are harming Elon by paying the same and going into an inferior platform...uhhh at the end of the day, he's still a billionaire while you freeze your butt off trying to get the payment system to work as Tesla owners relax while watching netflix.

As long as the company is moving along and @The Accountant ’s charts, diagrams and posts remain as boring as ever, it’s all good.

You had to taunt me . . . didn't you? You get what you deserve; here's another boring chart from me:

In Q2, 2022 it was the first time that both the Energy and Services segments had positive gross margins with 11.2% and 3.8%, respectively.
Positive gross margins were repeated in Q3. Prior to this, one or both of these segments generated negative margins.
This bodes well for 2023. I'm interested in what we will see for Q4.

1667270738970.png

Tidal will apparently stream to Tesla at CD quality if you have the HiFi plan. But, maybe the connection isn’t always good enough to have an interruption free experience: Tesla Music Streaming Services and Apps (Spotify, TIDAL, Slacker, TuneIn and more)

For best quality, I use an SD card in a hub in the glovebox with CD quality FLAC files.

Big money doesn’t like complete QAnon whack jobs as the the CEO of companies they invest in. I’ll say it again. The board needs to have a plan for dealing with this. He’s only going to get worse.

Jmho.
what is the board going to do? vote him out because he can be dope and a troll on twitter?

he’s still the driving force behind tesla, spacex, neuralink, boring, and who knows what else coming down the pike…

i think we all need a breather. the politics and media have us completely polarized. which is exactly what they want! more manufactured engagement, clicks, and ads

ads - the new cancer /s