Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not directly related but close:
I read the notification to guests from Disney Shanghai earlier. To the guests, it was definitely unexpected, which might indicate another lockdown coming to Shanghai. At the same time, Disney Shanghai was shutdown on the same date last year. Giga Shanghai was running as usual when I last checked earlier today.

Shanghai is a sprawling city. If you hear about 1+ million being tested, that's not a great sign for Tesla, but the city is so large that it doesn't necessarily mean Giga Shanghai will have to shut down.

Edit: here's the Chinese notification I read shared by WuWa

Edit 2: The notification does make it sound like it's pandemic related and unplanned, which goes against a reasonable explanation that this is something they're doing again because they had done so on the same date last year (for whatever reason).

Last edited:
Also just to remind folks that politically speaking, the right is more sticky than the left. The left is full of random ideas that not everyone is on board with, hence why Elon is so polarizing within his own party while the right are older folks who have made up their mind and vote with their money. There's a reason why Fox news has more viewership than CNN+MSNBC combined.

Oh god. That’s the way it is now. It didn’t used to be like that. Go back 20 years and CNN had much higher viewership than Fox. The right also isn’t monolithic. There are many conservatives who vote for abortion rights, for example. There are conservatives who agree with the green energy transition. Etc.

I'm not here to say which side is right or wrong, but I agree that the positive sentiment Elon has picked up from the right outweighs the negative sentiment the left has of him. I for one is not extremely excited about Elon being so political, however the push of EV adoption is a strong polarizing left leaning agenda so it doesn't hurt the mission if we bring it to more center left.

Everyone needs to chill a bit about right wing antipathy or even outright hostility towards EVs. Sure it exists, but it is a minority view on the right, and as we get more butts into EV test drive seats, the numbers drop ever more.

Even if this is true, it is not big deal, in fact it is a standard operating practice that many use.

Can you cite some examples of other standard cases where other public megacap CEOs privately buy an entirely different company then borrows dozens of the top engineers from his public company to come work at the private one for a while to help them out?

If it's standard you should have a long list to share.

You had to taunt me . . . didn't you? You get what you deserve; here's another boring chart from me:

In Q2, 2022 it was the first time that both the Energy and Services segments had positive gross margins with 11.2% and 3.8%, respectively.
Positive gross margins were repeated in Q3. Prior to this, one or both of these segments generated negative margins.
This bodes well for 2023. I'm interested in what we will see for Q4.

View attachment 869699
1667272606680.gif

Oh god. That’s the way it is now. It didn’t used to be like that. Go back 20 years and CNN had much higher viewership than Fox. The right also isn’t monolithic. There are many conservatives who vote for abortion rights, for example. There are conservatives who agree with the green energy transition. Etc.

Everyone needs to chill a bit about right wing antipathy or even outright hostility towards EVs. Sure it exists, but it is a minority view on the right, and as we get more butts into EV test drive seats, the numbers drop ever more.
I find more hostility not toward EVs but toward ICE ban dates set up by left wing politics as they see it as an infringement on their freedom. EV's adoption due to its merits being better than ICE is fine, EV adoption being forced down your throat = no go for conservatives.

Elon is in the camp of having EVs being adopted based on it's merits. He actually never fear monger folks with climate change doom and gloom predictions or advocate the government to take drastic measures to shape EV adoption. The guy is more brilliant politically than people give him credit for.

I find more hostility not toward EVs but toward ICE ban dates set up by left wing politics as they see it as an infringement on their freedom. EV's adoption due to its merits being better than ICE is fine, EV adoption being forced down your throat = no go for conservatives.

Elon is in the camp of having EVs being adopted based on it's merits. He actually never fear monger folks with climate change doom and gloom predictions or advocate the government to take drastic measures to shape EV adoption. The guy is more brilliant politically than people give him credit for.

I guess it all depends on how you define "fear mongering"

Last edited:
Musk has many time expressed his view on climate change not being as doom and gloom as scientist make it out to be. He puts population collapse as a higher risk than climate change.

But yeah, change in climate can cause migration...we see that right now with people from the destroyed coast from Hurricane Ian. No one expect people to live under a bridge if their home is flooded or gone.

Musk has many time expressed his view on climate change not being as doom and gloom as scientist make it out to be. He puts population collapse as a higher risk than climate change.

But yeah, change in climate can cause migration...we see that right now with people from the destroyed coast from Hurricane Ian. No one expect people to live under a bridge if their home is flooded or gone.
I might agree that in more recent times he has felt less of a "need" to mention the catastrophic trends as it relates to climate change, and certainly has talked up population collapse. Not certain he still doesn't see the urgency for action but get your point.

I think Musk's view on climate change is and always has been that it is a threat to the survival of the species, but that it is within our power to avoid it.

His position has always been one of concern but founded in hope. If we work at it, we can solve it.

Fun data. Seems like market cap may be a factor to consider too...
Added an updated image. GDP extrapolation is just an image dot copy-paste.

TopCosProfitableGrowthVSTesla-GDP-Extrapolated.jpg

Are all these comparisons from buying on their respective IPO days, or are they all from buying in 2012?
The OP mentioned the original IPO day of META and possibly others as well. Did not date check, but google finance dragging around the start-today prices shows similar numbers as the post.

OP Source: https://twitter.com/search?q=mark is uninvestable&src=typed_query

I have Tidal (you pay for that seperately, I think it's $10/mo.). I believe you can use Tidal without Premium Connectivity because it will download a few hundred Hi-Fi songs via Wi-fi and write them to system memory for playback while driving. I have not figured out a way to load them onto my connected 500GB SSD (except for using a laptop and software that records directly from the audio output). AFAIK, downloading the songs in advance is the only way to listen to Tidal's "hi-fi" bitrate because even if you have Premium Connectivity it will only stream Tidal in regular MP3 quality. The difference in sound quality is significant. To be clear, you can download the hi-fi versions directly to the cars memory via wi-fi and play them as you drive. I use this feature because I am often driving in areas with zero cellular coverage.

As far as how many owners are paying for Premium Connectivity, I think the take rate must be well over 75% of those who don't have it for free. The number of cars with lifetime free Premium Connectivity is probably a small percentage of all Tesla on the road and shrinking every month. I'm not sure exactly when the free Premium Connectivity ended but my wife's Model 3 came with it in May 2018 and my Model 3P did not in Sept. 2018. So, it must have been between those dates which implies the vast majority of Tesla on the road don't have free Premium Connectivity for life and must pay for it if they want to continue using it after the trial period ends.

You can STREAM Tidal in Hi Fi over wi fi which can be done via smartphone acting as a hotspot

I might have to take a break from this thread. Not nearly as informative and entertaining as it was before TWTR and politics took over.
If only SpaceX discussions intruded as much. Then at least it there would be cool videos to counter the whinging.

I'll leave this here for those who wake up early and can enjoy it live.

PS I apologize for my contributions to the Twitter talk. I try to resist but get drawn in. My ignore list grew a bit today.

Tidal will apparently stream to Tesla at CD quality if you have the HiFi plan. But, maybe the connection isn’t always good enough to have an interruption free experience: Tesla Music Streaming Services and Apps (Spotify, TIDAL, Slacker, TuneIn and more)

For best quality, I use an SD card in a hub in the glovebox with CD quality FLAC files.

Why would the level of your Tidal plan allow you to stream a higher bitrate over the AT&T cellular connection that Tesla pays for? AFAIK, the hi-fi will only stream to your Tesla over wi-fi (or via your personal cell connection).

Last edited:
Look at threads like the one below and we can see crap turning and turning and people who are harping on Elon, don't even know wtf they are angry about.

Sure they do. They don't want other people to look at the car they're driving and think that it means that they support Elon Musk's bad behavior. Pretty sure there must have been many people who wouldn't drive a Ford back in the day because Henry was a racist and a Nazi supporter.

I think TSLA is down because the market as a whole is down. Inflation is still high and the Fed is still pushing us, ALL of us, into a recession.
I know people like to blame the fed or the current administration for current economic issues, but the real cause of today's economic issues are COVID, the immediate response of governments worldwide to it from an economic standpoint (hint - just about everyone printed tons of cash to stave off economic depression), and ongoing disruptions due to COVID.

Ongoing disruptions include:
1. Inflation due to the aformentioned printing of cash
2. Supply chain disruption due to lockdowns - they are still ongoing despite most people's belief that COVID is over (see quote below for an example)
3. Supply chain disruption due to loss of people - tons of people died worldwide or are experiencing health issues that prevent them from working at full capacity.
4. Various disruptions to business due to a big shift in people working remotely.

Not directly related but close:

Sure they do. They don't want other people to look at the car they're driving and think that it means that they support Elon Musk's bad behavior. Pretty sure there must have been many people who wouldn't drive a Ford back in the day because Henry was a racist and a Nazi supporter.

So that's how Henry got Ford to 60% market share? By offending decent people everywhere?

Dang! Why does Tesla only have 2% market share? 🤪