Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: replicant
Edit: Note that all of these could be significantly different in "modified to make regulators happy" software.
I suppose?

But it would be a crappy investment in time because it would be so trivial to get caught for something so blatant. It's not like diesel gate or many other cheating scandals where it would be difficult to discover. It is low reward, high chance of discovery, and high penalty for getting caught.

Not exactly something Tesla would invest time/ energy into doing.

Tony Seba has been saying solar and wind are cheaper than nat gas. (IIRC) This is the perfect opportunity to prove it. Megachargers will have geographic moats with strong brand loyalty and economies of scale. Whatever the price ends up being, I think we'll be the low cost producer.
I expected this since Elon promised $0.07 per kWh at the Semi reveal, it is more likely for an Elon promise to come very late, than to not happen at all,.

Essentially solar farm powered Megachargers eventually spaced 200-250 Miles apart.

Why are we not seeing them?

IMO fleet owners are likely to do small low-volume trials of Semis lasting 6-12 months to validate the platform and prove the economics, management will want hard numbers to justify any major move to electric fleets.

The current Nevada built rate is probably sufficient for fleet customers to slowly phase in trials.

Any Megachargers Tesla currently owns may be in concealed or non-public locations, or may initially be when they are built.
They might start building them slowly after the trials, when higher volume orders are placed.

I don't think Tesla or fleet owners conducting the trails, want to encourage Megacharger tourism.

Many suggest fleet owners will charge at warehouses and depots, that is partially true. But fleet owners will not be required to have warehouses and depots everywhere were they need to charge, When multiple customers want to charge in a particular location, it makes sense for Tesla to own the charger.

Cruise expands its robotaxi service in San Francisco:

7374DFA7-AA82-46B5-B1DB-A7576C921598.jpeg

Cruise expands its robotaxi service in San Francisco:

View attachment 870027
As far as I can tell, Cruise use Lidar and HD Maps.

This reminds me of with the GM Bolt beat the Model 3 to market.

Being first is commendable, but ultimately the best product wins and in the case of Robotaxis price and margin are significant.

Lidar and HD maps are always going to be more expensive than "pure vision".

When getting regulatory approval, being second isn't a bad outcome, all that is required is to match what first has achieved.

HD maps just cant be sustainable long term globally unless the cars themselves generate it. They dont have a sufficient fleet of those so they would at least have to map each area once

If HD maps turn out to be the "the way" (they won't) - can I be the cloud provider selling GM/Cruise storage space in my datacenters?

Legit question.

Last edited:
Haven't followed this closely. Is this for real? (rhetorical question).

That's so bonkers, and really speaks to the crap-level of their development pace.

10pm until 5;30am, only when its not foggy or raining or snow etc. it was 25% of the city for 33% of the time. Great launch.

No way can cars contain all the HD data they would need so they would have to stream or download it unless staying in a small area

No way can cars contain all the HD data they would need so they would have to stream or download it unless staying in a small area
I also wonder what type of computer hardware they currently have, and the amount of electricity used by that hardware.

Of course hardware will get cheaper and more efficient, but it helps to start out cheaper and efficient.