Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, this just showed up on Teslarati

... and the first thing that came to mind was imagining a herd of 100 or more Tesla FSD Beta vehicles gathering and joining in voluntarily, just for fun.

Like photo-bombing, or a flash-mob. :cool:
Better make sure all of them are on 69.2.3 at a minimum...

I'm really just amazed still that one simple linear equation actually explains about 75% of TSLA's variation in the last year.

Normally the world is a lot more complicated than that, but apparently TSLA just gets whipped around by the market roller coaster lately.

What's the R^2 on a linear fit to the NASDAQ-100 index? My impression is that TSLA follows that index even more closely than the S&P 500.

I meant "expected" based on the linear regression model from the first chart. The idea was to test how well this simple model fits the actual data without extra complexity added in.

The formula is:

TSLA_expected = (S&P 500 - 2423) / 6.14​
Things that make you go hmmm...

Looks like Ives knows the formula too after the S&P close today!

What's the R^2 on a linear fit to the NASDAQ-100 index? My impression is that TSLA follows that index even more closely than the S&P 500.
I don't remember, but I initially had the same thought back in August when I first investigated this, and I found that TSLA tracks the S&P somewhat more closely than the NASDAQ. All three are highly correlated though.

TSLA might be more tightly coupled to the S&P 500 because TSLA is a member of the S&P500, so it is inherently affected by net buying/selling from index funds and also from funds benchmarked against the S&P. Index funds own like half of the US stock market now, so they truly are the whales pushing TSLA around.