Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this isn’t a popular character, but Troy Teslike posted about rumors in China of a massive price cut spreading around. Like 15% (!)

He calculates 5% gross margin after such a thing. Even if not true of course a potentially damaging belief if widely held.

At some point mathematically cutting prices is simply self defeating versus cutting supply and selling to those willing to pay so this feels almost like an absurdity but you know it would be nice to get a ‘not true’ tweet from anyone at Tesla. Now the FTC is apparently crawling all over him on Twitter so maybe he’s tied up with that and helping DojaCat.

Fun times.
I'd just like to sell him a railroad... you know
Norfolk and Waypal...

With like 8 million (!) shares traded in the final minute?! @Papafox is this a record?

Would be tough to beat the 69 million from S&P inclusion day:

"More than 200m shares in Tesla, worth more than $148bn, were traded through the day, including 69m shares in the closing auction at $695."

My best guess is many people are holding out for 1/1/23 for their tax credits.
Since GM and TSLA are the only ones not currently participating in the current ev tax credits.

Tesla is the one most being affected by potential holdouts, since GM isn't really making tons of ev's
Only thing that concerns me is potentially fewer cars sold in the 4th quarter. Thank dawg for China and Europe!

Reactions: FSDtester#1

Electric Viking on YouTube claiming that Tesla China are aiming at increased volume by batching/speculative/inventory rather than build to order.

I could see this happening if there are known parts/process bottlenecks - or more likely if it helps with the painting or just they found it easier for production line employees to not have to worry about differences.

Another possibility is that this is a dry-run for how Tesla China would produce a cheaper car - full speed, less customisation.

Any indications of this in other factories or markets? Inventory cars might be an indicator (short lead times on M3P in USA?).

I'm not convinced - but possible. I'll be looking for any indications to support this idea.

Sam assumes this is Tesla crushing the competition (and uses Amazon/nappies as an example) - with only BYD making a (small) profit and all others unable to reduce prices, Tesla can sell in huge volumes by reducing prices.

Presumably, component shortages are mostly over, so it could be time to up production, lock down components, batteries, minerals and maybe have enough volume to supply another market soon (Thailand, USA if IRA is amended with the proposed 2025 ish dates as mentioned by Tesla Daily/Rob Maurer -
- timestamped at IRA change proposals).

If it is happening, I'd view it as Tesla just concentrating on volume rather than per-car profit. Greater volume will help with profits anyway. Wasn't there mention of SCALE for Master Plan Part 3?

1668115975286.png

I don't understand Giga, how do you calculate the "expected" price for TSLA at any given time? Expected using what metrics and PE? 🤔
I meant "expected" based on the linear regression model from the first chart. The idea was to test how well this simple model fits the actual data without extra complexity added in.

The formula is:

TSLA_expected = (S&P 500 - 2423) / 6.14​

Last edited:

Electric Viking on YouTube claiming that Tesla China are aiming at increased volume by batching/speculative/inventory rather than build to order.

I could see this happening if there are known parts/process bottlenecks - or more likely if it helps with the painting or just they found it easier for production line employees to not have to worry about differences.

Another possibility is that this is a dry-run for how Tesla China would produce a cheaper car - full speed, less customisation.

Any indications of this in other factories or markets? Inventory cars might be an indicator (short lead times on M3P in USA?).

I'm not convinced - but possible. I'll be looking for any indications to support this idea.

Sam assumes this is Tesla crushing the competition (and uses Amazon/nappies as an example) - with only BYD making a (small) profit and all others unable to reduce prices, Tesla can sell in huge volumes by reducing prices.

Presumably, component shortages are mostly over, so it could be time to up production, lock down components, batteries, minerals and maybe have enough volume to supply another market soon (Thailand, USA if IRA is amended with the proposed 2025 ish dates as mentioned by Tesla Daily/Rob Maurer -
- timestamped at IRA change proposals).

If it is happening, I'd view it as Tesla just concentrating on volume rather than per-car profit. Greater volume will help with profits anyway. Wasn't there mention of SCALE for Master Plan Part 3?

That will be terrible as Tesla doesn't want to crush the EV competition. Also this will play exactly to what the shorts have been predicting for years, that margins are not sustainable once competition enters.

I know this isn’t a popular character, but Troy Teslike posted about rumors in China of a massive price cut spreading around. Like 15% (!)

He calculates 5% gross margin after such a thing. Even if not true of course a potentially damaging belief if widely held.

At some point mathematically cutting prices is simply self defeating versus cutting supply and selling to those willing to pay so this feels almost like an absurdity but you know it would be nice to get a ‘not true’ tweet from anyone at Tesla. Now the FTC is apparently crawling all over him on Twitter so maybe he’s tied up with that and helping DojaCat.

Fun times.
Huh?
30% gross margin on a vehicle, drop price 15% without changing any other parameters = 15% GM.

If it's a widely held view that 30-15=5, something is definitely damaged.

Edit: real math, it's not 15% GM, it's better since total revenue also decreases.
50k car @ 30% gm = 35k cost, sell for 15% less 50k*85%=42.5k, 7.5k gross profit,
7.5/42.5 = 17.6% GM

Last edited: