Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to press a button on my door handles to lock/unlock the car. Oh no!

Walk-away lock options are becoming normal on cars with passive entry systems.
Agreed. But my example is part of the whole recipe. Whenever I have to drive my wife’s 2021 Kona EV, it is literally “stone knives and bear skins“ time, which I mutter to her every time I get out of that car and start walking away and it beaks off at me because I didn’t push the “on/off” (a.k.a Dunsel) button to turn the darn thing off.

So, 5 years 3 months later, the SEC lowers the boom? But for Elon its 2 weeks? That's sofin phunny I can't even ****.

The SEC’s order finds that an issuer engaged S&P to rate a jumbo residential mortgage backed security transaction in July 2017. Over a five-day period in August 2017, S&P commercial employees—employees responsible for managing the relationship with the issuer—on several occasions attempted to pressure the S&P analytical employees

I'd like to see FSD on a Tesla EV applied to a race track. Shouldn't the relatively well marked courses be easy for FSD to navigate? Wouldn't learning/training how to ultimately handle the vehicle at the limit (as well as taking proper, smooth, apex lines) pay dividends with the path planner? Of course, mistakes can be expensive, but if done well, it would be powerful to demonstrate super-human lap times.

Last edited:
LOL. And I can’t make it thru the first intersection, or the one after that as both require choosing one of 3 lanes and the car still fails 100 percent of the time. Having said that it does a lot of things a lit smoother than it did a couple versions ago. Baby steps.
PM or post the intersections please, I'd love to analyse them.

Something that fails 100% of the time is an interesting test case.

If Shotwell is taking over operations at Starbase does this mean Musk is content with Raptor production? I swear not long ago Musk said that was his biggest priority.

Yes, Elon did say that was the priority at SpaceX in early 2021, as they were developing Raptor v2. This year (2022), Elon says he has two big priorities for his businesses:
  1. Starship Orbital flight, and
  2. FSD wide release.
Note that both of those priorities are on track for a Merry Christmas 2022, and we will even get a Semi-early surprise gift. ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
While we're on FSD disengagement and so on, some napkin math:
  • Tesla has more than 3 million cars on road.
  • American vehicle, in average, drives more than 12,000 miles per year, let's say 33.3 miles per day.
  • In 2020, death per 100 million vehicle mile traveled is 1.34 (Fatality Facts 2020, The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety).
  • European death per unit vehicle mile traveled is lower, but China is higher
  • Tesla fleet is newer, likely less than two years in average, therefore it travels more per vehicle than average
With that, 3 million Teslas x 33.3 miles/day x 1 death/100 million miles traveled = 1 expected death/day from the Tesla fleet, if Tesla fleet had the same death

And that's on the very minimum end of expected death.

Let that ONE EXPECTED DEATH PER DAY from the Tesla fleet sink in.

Last edited:
Apple earns $100B per year now and maintains a PE ratio around 20-25, slightly more than the S&P 500.

If Tim Cook had been more politically active, would that have stopped Apple from making so much money? If not, would the PE ratio be irrationally low forever? Would that even matter if Apple just kept doing buybacks or eventually dividends?
People dont buy your products if they dont like the CEO and are reminded of why they dont like the CEO when his face is on national news every single day for new antics every single day.

Therefore Apples PE ratio would be justifiably low since consumers would have been looking to competitors more often.

Call me crazy, but I think Elon may have asked his mom to tweet this. I had to double check it was actually Maye's account because it didn't read like her usual style:

Why he wouldn't tweet that himself, I don't know. But maybe he's not at liberty to say whether he's done selling.

I'd like to see FSD on a Tesla EV applied to a race track. Shouldn't the relatively well marked courses be easy for FSD to navigate? Wouldn't learning/training how to ultimately handle the vehicle at the limit (as well as taking proper, smooth, apex lines) pay dividends with the path planner? Of course, mistakes can be expensive, but if done well, it would be powerful to demonstrate super-human lap times.
Priorities. Better to use engineering hours to make FSD safer and robotaxi closer. This is what legacy is doing, wasting engineers on useless demos that never get into the hands of customers. Better to let academia do this, which they already do:

Priorities. Better to use engineering hours to make FSD safer and robotaxi closer. This is what legacy is doing, wasting engineers on useless demos that never get into the hands of customers. Better to let academia do this, which they already do:
Exactly. Case in point, at Tesla, we hired a BMW guy who made the car drive itself around a track at its limit in 2013. When you severely limit the variables, it becomes a simple heuristic problem.

Ever heard of "quiet quitting"?

Please have the dignity to do so and save those confined in the chamber from clicking one more Ignore button.
Quiet quitting surprisingly doesn't mean to quit quietly but is someone who is doing the bare minimum at work as they see putting in the extra mile is no longer worth it.

I know, it's a stupid term.

I'm likely just exposing my ignorance, but I like you guys, so here it goes..
Is there any thought that DOJO may become rapidly obsolete as quantum computing ramps?
I was reading about IBMs new machine, sounds promising. Can NN even run on a quantum computer?

In a word - no.

In a few words - VERY different compute sets. Quant computing would not really be something you would use for NN.

DOJO is likely to have a very long lifespan, and many iterations.