Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1669875335386.png

Don't tell the Kiwi. He was forecasting a "COVID death wave" in China.
Absolutely. Still am. 0.1% dead as a best case scenario, which is ~1.4 million dead in a population of 1.4 billion. Not sure what your definition of “death wave” is, but I was using it to describe the several months period of time where the bulk of these deaths occur due to an overwhelmed health system.

And as I said, bad short term (for those that die or suffer seriously, obviously), but great news for global economy and Tesla in 2023 if it means no lockdowns.

(P.S. I use 0.1% as a best case scenario, having witnessed up close this year what happens when omicron ripped through a population with no previous exposure that was 90%+ vaccinated with Pfizer, and with a health system that wasn’t overwhelmed , and suffered about a 0.05% death rate. China experiencing just 2x that death rate would be a very good outcome - if somehow they do better despite a worse vaccine, lower vaccination rate and much less ICU beds per person - Great!).

Last edited:
Let the walkdown commence. Was capped hard around 190 and now underperforming it's beta. Wonder what they'll get it down to by end of trading today
Gee TSLA capped at 190 and unable to get above it, even with Nasdaq continuing higher........goes and check maximum pain......yeah there ya go.

It looks like they got it down another -$4.70 and it only took them forty-five minutes. From $190 all the way down to $194.70.

Don't you get tired of projecting negative short-term stock moves when, in reality, it could easily go either way? You say it's so you're not disappointed, but I have two better techniques for avoiding disappointment:

1) Just admit it's beyond your control and you have no real idea which way it will go in the short-term.
2) Go ahead and guess on the short-term direction but admit that it doesn't really matter in the bigger picture.

Either way will prevent disappointment but if you use method #2, just realize you don't have to tell us your guess due to the truth of method #1.

Tesla China raising prices back up to pre-subsidy levels after this quarter ends:

"BREAKING: Tesla CN website has been updated with additional message indicating the prices of Model 3 RWD & Model Y RWD will be increased to pre-subsidy level by ¥11,088 for individual purchase or ¥7,761 for business purchase after Dec 31 when subsidy policy expires."

EDIT: Nvm... after taking a closer look, I believe what they mean is that the subsidy will no longer be in effect, so to buyers, these models will cost more. I can't read Chinese, though, so maybe someone that is able to can take a closer look to verify the meaning.

Last edited:
Tesla China raising prices back up to pre-subsidy levels after this quarter ends:

"BREAKING: Tesla CN website has been updated with additional message indicating the prices of Model 3 RWD & Model Y RWD will be increased to pre-subsidy level by ¥11,088 for individual purchase or ¥7,761 for business purchase after Dec 31 when subsidy policy expires."

EDIT: Nvm... after taking a closer look, I believe what they mean is that the subsidy will no longer be in effect, so to buyers, these models will cost more. I can't read Chinese, though, so maybe someone that is able to can take a closer look to verify the meaning.

Troy did say no further price cuts;) ;)

Reminds me of Buckaroo Bonzai...

Tom Swift's fictional campus in New Mexico was 4 square miles. Set in the present, 100 yrs later, Giga Texas is currently 2,100 acres (3.1 sq.mi).

Elon is constantly adding new facilities to his Texas empire (SpaceX + Boring Company ~ 12mi East of Giga Texas, plus a Neuralink facitlity between the two). Can Twitter's "2nd HQ" be far behind? (I expect that one to be West of Giga Texas)

Imma let you do the math.... ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

Reading here about things like autonomous cars are still a decade away or that semi convoys are still at least five years away, makes me realize that some people here still have difficulty of understanding the concept of exponential growth.
I don't think the difficulty is in understanding exponential growth per se. The problem lies in identifying the growth function as it relates to autonomy.

My personal opinion is that FSD is starting to show signs of utility, which is bullish for the stock. But I can't quantify that utility and I can't express the function of its growth.

Exponential growth seems like magic. But the magic only becomes real if you can explain what is growing exponentially.

Rob Maurer / Tesla Daily was confused by BYD doing the same (raising prices to consumers), he said it was explained to him that the subsidy goes to the manufacturer, not the consumer.

Haha, that'll "clear the docks" by EOQ. No mo deamon probs... ;)

But didn't Tesla China reduce the retail price (before subsidies) earlier this year in order to qualify for those subsidies? Now, if Tesla is restoring those previous higher prices, it speaks volumes to their true level of demand in China.

.... n I doan evin haz paytrean. :p

Cheers!

Tesla Thailand

Very exciting news if true and it suggests Tesla is moving with unprecedented speed here to begin sales and the government is getting serious about embracing EVs.

On Tuesday December 7th Tesla apparently is opening a showroom at Siam Paragon, one of Bangkok’s premier high end malls. Word on the street is that Tesla Thailand will debut with Model 3 and Y. It will be very interesting to see the pricing, as China has a trade agreement with ASEAN that significantly reduces import duties. Again, whispers are swirling of very good pricing. Of course anything compared to the gouging inflicted by gray market importers will seem reasonable!

Further evidence that the Thai government is serious about EVs is the fact that it’s providing a $7500 government incentive for many new EVs. That’s a huge sum by Thai standards! Case in point is Great Wall Motors’ Ora Good Cat/Good Cat GT, a really fun all electric compact hatchback (TSLA pay attention!) that’s gaining in popularity here. I’ve test driven it and it’s more solidly built than I would have expected and it has great range and good acceleration. I’m buying the GT for my girlfriend. She doesn’t care about the added performance and knows I bought the speedier version in order to occasionally “steal” it from her.😎 I won’t buy the Model Y until we have a service center in Phuket, so the Good Cat will have to suffice until that moment arrives.

I don’t know if Tesla will qualify for the $7500 (263,000 baht) government discount. Perhaps that would explain the rumors regarding pricing. I don’t yet know the price limit or other reqs required to qualify for the incentive.

Attachments

• 3AD58256-146B-41AD-B682-27BBF43F59BF.jpeg
    3AD58256-146B-41AD-B682-27BBF43F59BF.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 41
  • A6C0233B-FAD6-45E5-83F7-82703E111E6B.jpeg
    A6C0233B-FAD6-45E5-83F7-82703E111E6B.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 72A7C64A-37D8-4D2D-B34F-1459B8140A8F.jpeg
    72A7C64A-37D8-4D2D-B34F-1459B8140A8F.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 943BC05A-F192-4B2F-B2D9-98895AE6A43A.jpeg
    943BC05A-F192-4B2F-B2D9-98895AE6A43A.jpeg