Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed. Yet, hedgies still tried their old tricks, pouncing at the Opening cross: :p

View attachment 880148

Cheers to the Longs!

That 1.4m traded at the open wasn't anything to sneeze at either. (or, is that what you were meaning to show with that chart?)

1669907962790.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
My tl;dr on last night's loooong Neuralink presentation.

Predicted six months before they hope to get FDA approval for human clinical trials.

Initial application will allow completely paralyzed individuals to communicate with thought. They have crude versions of this working now in monkeys, so this should be relatively easy to do in humans. They talked about two other applications, both of which will require a lot more research work.

One new one is vision restoration. They have already demonstrated being able to create bright flashes in a monkey's visual field of view in precise locations. From there to creating a real time crude grayscale representation of what a camera sees is a relatively small step from a theoretical perspective.

They showed how they can contract and elongate a pig's leg muscles through motor cortex stimulation. However fixing a spinal cord injury to allow movement has a fairly long way to go and will require new research and technologies. Doable, but longer term (for instance, now you are integrating into the spinal cord rather than the brain, and they just haven't started doing that yet).

Like all of Elon's companies, they are hardware rich during this R&D phase and have continually iterated every aspect of their technologies to enhance real world performance metrics like longevity, power usage, and safety for their implantable brain device. Their current brain implant is getting close to mass production capable. That thing is a technological marvel integrating bluetooth communications, ARM processor to decode spikes in real time, power managements, battery and wireless power recharging all connected to 1024 probes, soon 16K thin wire probes. All hermetically sealed operating in a hostile environment (inside the human body).

And mass production they will need. The first questions came from neuroscientists who were salivating over the possibilities of this hardware for neuroscience research. While Neuralink is necessarily currently focused on real world injury mitigation applications (for revenue reasons), many neuroscientists want to figure out how the thinking parts of the brain work. How do we reason? How do we lay down memories? Anyways, research labs across academia will each want to buy whatever v1.0 kit Neuralink produces.

That 1.0 kit will include a surgery robot for implantation, the actual brain implant, and all the software systems that interpret the raw neuron spike data.

I can't emphasize enough just how many different advanced technologies Neuralink has already produced and worked on. In addition if they were an academic institution, they would have produce thousands of academic papers by now.

Finally, Elon. Elon started this as a way of producing better human/computer symbionts for the inevitable AI/human meshing. As he pointed out, we are already symbionts because our phones are already an extension of ourselves, and they provide access to the digital/information/communication world.

But all that is in the far future. His company, composed of real world engineers, is busy creating down to earth technologies that allow for brain reading and brain writing to solve current low hanging fruit problems. It is very analogous to SpaceX which was formed to create a civilization on Mars, but 20 years on is still "just" the world leader in orbital lift. Elon won't see his ultimate SpaceX dream in his lifetime, nor will he see all the things Neuralink will do, But along the way, Neuralink will have a profound impact on brain science and medical technology while being a profitable medical technology corporation.

More so than when Elon presents about his other companies, you could tell that Elon was barely hanging on when talking about this advanced medical/biological technology. When he spoke, it would be visionary, and when his engineers/medical experts answered the question (he had like 20 on stage, each giving a part of the presentation and all answering questions), it was very technical and to the point. This isn't surprising - Neuralink is the most far afield from his knowledge base company he has started.

Last edited:
My tl;dr on last night's loooong Neuralink presentation.

Predicted six months before they hope to get FDA approval for human clinical trials.

Initial application will allow completely paralyzed individuals to communicate with thought. They have crude versions of this working now in monkeys, so this should be relatively easy to do in humans. They talked about two other applications, both of which will require a lot more research work.

One new one is vision restoration. They have already demonstrated being able to create bright flashes in a monkey's visual field of view in precise locations. From there to creating a real time crude grayscale representation of what a camera sees is a relatively small step from a theoretical perspective.

They showed how they can contract and elongate a pig's leg muscles through motor cortex stimulation. However fixing a spinal cord injury to allow movement has a fairly long way to go and will require new research and technologies. Doable, but longer term (for instance, now you are integrating into the spinal cord rather than the brain, and they just haven't started doing that yet).

Like all of Elon's companies, they are hardware rich during this R&D phase and have continually iterated every aspect of their technologies to enhance real world performance metrics like longevity, power usage, and safety for their implantable brain device. Their current brain implant is getting close to mass production capable. That thing is a technological marvel integrating bluetooth communications, ARM processor to decode spikes in real time, power managements, battery and wireless power recharging all connected to 1024 probes, soon 16K thin wire probes. All hermetically sealed operating in a hostile environment (inside the human body).

And mass production they will need. The first questions came from neuroscientists who were salivating over the possibilities of this hardware for neuroscience research. While Neuralink is necessarily currently focused on real world injury mitigation applications (for revenue reasons), many neuroscientists want to figure out how the thinking parts of the brain work. How do we reason? How do we lay down memories? Anyways, research labs across academia will each want to buy whatever v1.0 kit Neuralink produces.

That 1.0 kit will include a surgery robot for implantation, the actual brain implant, and all the software systems that interpret the raw neuron spike data.

I can't emphasize enough just how many different advanced technologies Neuralink has already produced and worked on. In addition if they were an academic institution, they would have produce thousands of academic papers by now.

Finally, Elon. Elon started this as a way of producing better human/computer symbionts for the inevitable AI/human meshing. As he pointed out, we are already symbionts because our phones are already an extension of ourselves, and they provide access to the digital/information/communication world.

But all that is in the far future. His company, composed of real world engineers, is busy creating down to earth technologies that allow for brain reading and brain writing to solve current low hanging fruit problems. It is very analogous to SpaceX which was formed to create a civilization on Mars, but 20 years on is still "just" the world leader in orbital lift. Elon won't see his ultimate SpaceX dream in his lifetime, nor will he see all the things Neuralink will do, But along the way, Neuralink will have a profound impact on brain science and medical technology while being a profitable medical technology corporation.

More so than when Elon presents about his other companies, you could tell that Elon was barely hanging on when talking about this advanced medical/biological technology. When he spoke, it would be visionary, and when his engineers answered the question (he had like 20 on stage, each giving a part of the presentation and all answering questions), it was very technical and to the point. This isn't surprising - Neuralink is the most far afield from his knowledge base company he has started.

Agree with everything and will add one perspective here to the discussion:

When he mentioned he'd put one of these in himself, there was an audible "Wooooo" and laugh across the audience which I was really shocked about. Maybe it was an inside joke, but there were 20k+ people watching that might have thought this was sarcastic as a response from the audience members (rather than exuberance).

This tech is incredible and it's just another spearhead/startup in a space that needs it: brain diseases/injuries. Anyone notice the scalable Dojo-like data infrastructure projects they have planned as well? Total silence from the audience.

What's inside the Semi, some ponder... CyberTruck? A new model? Maybe it's nothing. But the marketing opportunity is ripe IMO for both Pepsi and Tesla.

- Tesla: 81,000 lbs, 500 mi range, 60 mph uphill, in the passing lane!
- Pepsi: Fastest, Cleanest Delivery.

So for fun, I wanted to know how big 81,000 lbs things would be. For example, a giant Pepsi bottle on it's side crossed my mind for some friendly cross advertising. Would it fit? Not even close.

An 81,000 lbs bottle of Pepsi (water) would need to be carrying about 10,000 cu.ft. Turns out, the volume inside a 53' semi is only 6,000 cu.ft. To my surprise, fill a large semi trailer to the top with water and it's still only about half the max load. So it needs denser material, like metal.

An IDRA press must weigh a lot. Maybe a small part of it could fit, but not much splash. It does provide a segue to CyberTruck, meh.

Would every Tesla Vehicle fit? Maybe, light load, but would be cool with CyberTruck followed by a covered car not to be revealed.

Maybe it's just helium balloons. Tesla Margins are important ;)

What's inside the Semi, some ponder... CyberTruck? A new model? Maybe it's nothing. But the marketing opportunity is ripe IMO for both Pepsi and Tesla.

So for fun, I wanted to know how big 81,000 lbs things would be. For example, a giant Pepsi bottle on it's side crossed my mind for some friendly cross advertising. Would it fit? Not even close.

An 81,000 lbs bottle of Pepsi (water) would need to be carrying about 10,000 cu.ft. Turns out, the volume inside a 53' semi is only 6,000 cu.ft. To my surprise, fill a large semi trailer to the top with water and it's still only about half the max load. So it needs denser material, like metal.

An IDRA press must weigh a lot. Maybe a small part of it could fit, but not much splash. It does provide a segue to CyberTruck, meh.

Would every Tesla Vehicle fit? Maybe, light load, but would be cool with CyberTruck followed by a covered car not to be revealed.

I think it would be in poor taste to have anything in the trucks other than Pepsi products.

Yeah only here is the thing . Half the weight is in the truck and trailer. They will haul 40 or so lbs

The flashback answer to that would have us seeing a deliverable Roadster II coming out of the semi's trailer. If a hundred semis are delivered, carrying a couple of Roadsters each, well, that would be terrific! 🤣

One can dream, right? ;):)

The flashback answer to that would have us seeing a deliverable Roadster II coming out of the semi's trailer. If a hundred semis are delivered, carrying a couple of Roadsters each, well, that would be terrific! 🤣

One can dream, right? ;):)

No! I can't afford to keep mine until we get back up a ways. ;)

It will be curious to see how much Pepsi is really a part of this. Will they just be there with some signs and quick speech to take the "keys" from Elon at the end or will it really be partly a Pepsi event? I'm thinking the former. A Cybertruck wrapped in Pepsi logos might be cool but as Soul mentioned maybe they want a truly heavy load.

Why not a trailer full of pepsi and showing the Semi charging while it's being unloaded? Lots of press for Pepsi, showing the weight limit of the Semi, and showing people how the charging times are intended to be handled. Edit. It takes around 30 minutes so maybe pre-recorded or could be done in the background while Elon talks.

Last edited:
I don't think the difficulty is in understanding exponential growth per se. The problem lies in identifying the growth function as it relates to autonomy.

My personal opinion is that FSD is starting to show signs of utility, which is bullish for the stock. But I can't quantify that utility and I can't express the function of its growth.

Exponential growth seems like magic. But the magic only becomes real if you can explain what is growing exponentially.
I have struggled with this utility question I have had FSD Beta since the summer and driven ~ 10,000 miles and here is how i gauge the utility

I have reached the point when driving my MS with FSD/AP turned on for highway, rural and simple suburban settings that I feel uncomfortable driving without it .(actually feels dangerous) Busy City streets is still "uncomfortable" with FSD on in NYC area.

I drove my 2007 4 runner for the first time in about 3 months this past week ... it felt unsafe to me .. you can get a sense of this by tuning the radio , looking at GPS , drinking coffee, answering a call in a non FSD vehicle ... you understand just how dangerous the activities you do while driving are ... with FSD turned on you have the safety net while you are doing all these distracting activities while driving ...

Robotaxi is not required for FSD success IMHO .... FSD is a game changer ... it will take time .. and then it will be "how did i live without FSD" ... for me I am almost there

No! I can't afford to keep mine until we get back up a ways. ;)

It will be curious to see how much Pepsi is really a part of this. Will they just be there with some signs and quick speech to take the "keys" from Elon at the end or will it really be partly a Pepsi event? I'm thinking the former. A Cybertruck wrapped in Pepsi logos might be cool but as Soul mentioned maybe they want a truly heavy load.

Why not a trailer full of pepsi and showing the Semi charging while it's being unloaded? Lots of press for Pepsi, showing the weight limit of the Semi, and showing people how the charging times are intended to be handled.
Unloading pallets of pepsi would be the most impactful presentation.

Yeah only here is the thing . Half the weight is in the truck and trailer. They will haul 40 or so lbs
And I thought it was "Hauling" 81,000 lbs. That sure wasn't clear. So the giant Pepsi bottle might fit and still weight in, but it's tight.

Also, what a royal waste of energy with these 40K lbs "empties" driving around - can't have that. So deliver Pepsi, and pick up what?
Fast Forward... Imagine if transport could coordinate delivery as well as a train, always has something useful to pull, like Uber for Semi.

Got Cargo?