Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla gets all the attention, however San Francisco is thinking about reining in autonomous cars as nearly 140 collisions happened this year. What? Didn't hear much about those 140 collisions but have seen montages after montages of Teslas hitting undersized dolls and small pylons?

Read the raw data. It’s dishonest misleading journalism and politicians again.

Here is the referenced list of collisions.

I randomly checked ten of the 140 collision reports from this year and in all cases the collision was the fault of the human driver of the other car or the human test driver of the AV taking over with the autonomous software not engaged. Two of the incidents involved a taxi passenger opening a door that hit a parked AV and a person throwing an object at an AV that struck the hood.

Furthermore, ground has already been broken at Giga Texas. We don’t know what it’s for, but land has already been cleared and leveled in several areas and construction is actively underway, as shown in the drone flyover videos.
The new construction at the south west corner is for a new logistics area. Ie where new cars are stored until transported off the lot.

There’s even an entire new building whose shell is almost complete already, and as far as I know its purpose is uncertain right now.

If it is this building you are discussing...

1670683344022-png.883374

...then it's the new Cathode factory. It is afaik basically a refinery for battery raw materials.

I recently started listening to some speeches and lectures that Steve Jobs made throughout his career. It's amazing to hear some of the same resonating themes that Elon often focuses on were also emphasized by Jobs. These included that manufacturing is way more important than people give it credit and in a competitive market, the company that succeeds is the one with better manufacturing abilities.

He also emphasized that it's very important to treat each day like it could be your last. He meant this personally and as an organization, going on to say that unless you keep a startup mentality, you'll lose out to competitors who are more hungry than you are. He said, the moment you begin to act as if you have something to lose, you'll begin losing to those who will act more nimbly.

I never paid any attention to Apple, it's products or especially Jobs himself. I guess I listened to and believed too much of the negative press about him early on and generally wrote off everything from Apple.

Elon, just like Jobs, often ruffle feathers for not doing things in a conventional manner and for what is perceived as "chaotic", but I think under the media's veil of chaos, are very intentional moves of innovative genius.
Basic survival instincts of the animal kingdom. Any time an individual of a species is too different than the majority, that individual is subjected to torment, constant attacks that lower it to the bottom of the pecking order and often forcibly exiled from the pack/herd/group.

Only people who have been ‘different’ than the group (school, work, neighborhood etc…) can understand the internal fortitude it takes to not allow themselves to lose their uniqueness and be assimilated (which is often what the individual of the species tries to do - also a survival instinct) and/or be discouraged by it.

Basic survival instincts of the animal kingdom. Any time an individual of a species is too different than the majority, that individual is subjected to torment, constant attacks that lower it to the bottom of the pecking order and often forcibly exiled from the pack/herd/group.

So, he's turning into Batman?

Thank you, my contribution, so far, to weekend topics.

I randomly checked ten of the 140 collision reports from this year and in all cases the collision was the fault of the human driver of the other car or the human test driver of the AV taking over with the autonomous software not engaged. Two of the incidents involved a taxi passenger opening a door that hit a parked AV and a person throwing an object at an AV that struck the hood.
I checked some myself. It is true lots of them are not news. However some of the ones where another driver collided with the car in autonomous mode does seem like the autonomous car is doing some complex maneuver like getting away from a stalled car in the lane and is too slow and unsure that the people behind it misread the situation and ran into the car. The autonomous car also misread the situation behind it as well.

Reminds me of the waymo that have gone rogue video when it tried to unstuck itself and a car from behind driving at full speed almost ran into it.

I didn't see a single Tesla accident in all of 2022. Gee, I wonder whose system is the safest? And not even geofenced!

I didn't see a single Tesla accident in all of 2022. Gee, I wonder whose system is the safest? And not even geofenced!

Tesla explicitly does not report autonomous miles to the CA DMV because they're operating at L2-- the 2 exceptions I'm aware of are when they made the infamous mostly editing/camera tricks 2016 demo video (where they recorded over 500 miles of L3 driving to get enough useful footage for the video)- but also the 2019 autonomy day demo, where they only needed a bit over 12 miles of L3 driving to get a useful video out of it.

All other years were all 0 miles reported because they're not operating above L2- and thus no accidents would be reported either.

Somewhat famously there was a series of email exchanges with CA DMV when city streets code began to be offered in limited beta to clarify the system was still, and would even on wide release remain L2, and thus exempt from reporting requirements in CA.

It could be a 3D-printed prototype.

I think it's a structural test rig of some sort and portions are painted white to assist optical measuring devices/cameras while the pylon in the middle is a test stand for measuring devices. They probably apply calibrated loads to the chassis in different places and measure how the chassis changes shape. This will tell them how much load gets applied to the skin of the vehicle under certain conditions and they can adjust the design of the understructure to suit.

The castings in the bed wings do not turn it from an exoskeleton to an endoskeleton (nor some sort of hybrid), it just turns it into an exoskeleton with a thick and structured exoskeleton that is a composite of cast aluminum and stainless sheet steel. What makes it an exoskeleton is not that the skeleton is thin or homogeneous or limited strictly to the "skin" layer, it's that the skeleton encloses the body, the skeleton is not central (as on a human), nor is limited to a base platform (the skateboard) that is already rigid enough without the body (as in body-on-frame), but that the load forces are transferred around the body. By having the load forces around the body, center of force is somewhere in empty space, inside the cabin where there is no structure. That's what an exoskeleton is.

The advantage is leverage. An exoskeleton carries forces further from the center of effort and spreads that force out over more material meaning a lighter structure can carry more load than if the structure was more centralized.

Last edited:
Tesla explicitly does not report autonomous miles to the CA DMV because they're operating at L2-- the 2 exceptions I'm aware of are when they made the infamous mostly faked 2016 demo video (where they recorded over 500 miles of L3 driving to get enough useful footage for the video)- but also the 2019 autonomy day demo, where they only needed a bit over 12 miles of L3 driving to get a useful video out of it.

All other years were all 0 miles reported because they're not operating above L2- and thus no accidents would be reported either.
Thanks for the info @Knightshade I did not know that! Would be interesting to know how many Tesla incidents occurred in the same period. Any way of finding that out?

Thanks for the info @Knightshade I did not know that! Would be interesting to know how many Tesla incidents occurred in the same period. Any way of finding that out?
Because comparing accidents from X million human driven Teslas to a few slow moving Cruise vehicles would tell you...?