Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From contrarian perspective: December 2021 Elon was Time person of the year and was on cover
this weekend reportedly booed and jeered at Dave Chappelle show in SF and just lost title of richest person in world
lots and lots of pessimism and gallows humor all around
we may go lower but downside is limited to maybe 7 to 13% or so while upside unlimited

Another theory for Tom Zhu's presence in Austin: CT ramp.

I dunno, it may just be coincidence the timing and all. Giga Shanghai has a smaller footprint than Fremont yet produces on average higher ql and much more volume than Fremont can surpassing them a while back. Let that sink in... they want to replicate that efficiency.

If one is planning the the 7500, I'd assume they would adjust their withholding no?

No.

This was explained pretty exhaustively back when the original tax credit was available.

Your withholdings have no impact whatsoever on your qualifying for the credit and to what degree you do so.

Withholdings are just pre-payment of how much tax you owe. When you file you will get to knock that pre-payment off what you owe- if the net result is negative you get a refund, if it's not you get a bill.

But it's the original "what you owe" before you pay any attention to withholding at all that matters to the credit- as long as what you owe is equal to or more than the credit amount you get the full credit. If for example what you owe (again BEFORE even considering withholding) was say exactly the amount of the full credit, then you'd get a refund of 100% of your withholdings, regardless of how much they were.

Gotta ask a stupid question: how do you move/copy a post of yours to another thread? Would help to keep this thread uncluttered, while still bringing it to the attention of the brilliant minds on this thread.

Thanks in advance!

Copy and paste it yourself, then PM me or another Moderator to delete it from its original location.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FSDtester#1

Steve's a little short on analysis: Tom Zhu has experience in ramping the Model Y. That makes him an expert, and worth bringing in to assist at Giga Texas while they are ramping the 2 Model Y lines.

What Tom doesn't have is experience ramping the Cybertruck. No one does, it's never been done before. Tom's got no special insight into how best to build a vehicle which has never been built before.

I hope it's not just CT, I hope he helps with the Model Y ramp also.

I want my cheaper Standard Range Texas Made Model Y pouring out of that factory like its being forced out by a flood (metaphorically).

If I get my wishes it's a SR AWD with front and rear castings and a structural battery pack, but if they pump out a large quantity of SR Model Ys and bring down the price doing so I won't miss my chance to get one (even if it's not the ideal battery type or drive motors I want).

Reactions: wipster
No.

This was explained pretty exhaustively back when the original tax credit was available.

Your withholdings have no impact whatsoever on your qualifying for the credit and to what degree you do so.

Withholdings are just pre-payment of how much tax you owe. When you file you will get to knock that pre-payment off what you owe- if the net result is negative you get a refund, if it's not you get a bill.

But it's the original "what you owe" before you pay any attention to withholding at all that matters to the credit- as long as what you owe is equal to or more than the credit amount you get the full credit. If for example what you owe (again BEFORE even considering withholding) was say exactly the amount of the full credit, then you'd get a refund of 100% of your withholdings, regardless of how much they were.
Dude, I'm pretty sure that's what he was referring to. I think we US residents know a bit about how FIT works. Having done it for 50 years now.

Nice explanation though, even if it wasn't needed.

Dude, I'm pretty sure that's what he was referring to.

I'm pretty sure it's not.

Re-read the post to which I replied- they thought adjusting your withholdings can change how much of the credit you qualify for (thus his asking doesn't adjusting withholding fix the problem of not having enough income tax owed... which it does not).

This was a VERY common point of confusion for all the years Tesla qualified for the original $7500 credit- despite presumably all those folks having done FIT for years and years- so it's unsurprising some folks are confused about the new one in the same way.

Interesting data point from Reddit I thought would be worth sharing. Turns out the headlines about brand favorability aren't telling the whole story:
Read the article from Motley Fool posted earlier in this thread. Tesla's favorability is only down by a point from their poll earlier this year and has been worse in prior polls. Plus unfavorable is in the 20% range.

Not a big believer in polls, especially since the advent of cell phones as the sole phone for the house. Landlines are a thing of the past and even a number shown as the house number is probably VoIP.

Figures don't lie but liers figure...

Interesting data point from Reddit I thought would be worth sharing. Turns out the headlines about brand favorability aren't telling the whole story:
Basically, Tesla's brand favorability ratings has dropped significantly among their core customer demographic. But they increased in favorability among people who have no interest in EV's.
Which is exactly what some of us have been saying.

Which is exactly what some of us have been saying.

It may seem bad because we are Tesla's core demographic. And many of our social networks are built out of people also in that demographic. But if Tesla can build awareness and favorability among people who previously had no interest in EVs, maybe that's a small silver lining.

Oh well, another day and another more than 6% down move.

Is it me or is the volatility of TSLA increasing lately? It has been a volatile stock but this is crazy.

I was in the West Vancouver Tesla store the other day and the guy told me that they see people coming in talking about the erratic behaviour of Elon. He didn’t say it affected sales but I have a feeling it does.
I think TSLA is in a very strange situation at the moment as there is a real concern of sustainability. We all know that Tesla will be fine and that their balance sheet is exceptional.

However, Tesla has still an image of a start-up with an erratic CEO. My hunch is that the people in the street still doubt about the sustainability of Tesla and think traditional car companies will come through and make Tesla obsolete; especially with this erratic CEO. This hurts the stock. The only thing to reverse this sentiment is to bring real value to the stock by paying dividends or something like that.

I wonder how is the moral inside the factories? Their livelihood is in his hands.

So Troys is saying that we might meet the delivery consensus but miss on the guidance?

Last edited:
Gotta ask a stupid question: how do you move/copy a post of yours to another thread? Would help to keep this thread uncluttered, while still bringing it to the attention of the brilliant minds on this thread.

Thanks in advance!
Click the '+Quote' button.
Then go to another thread and click 'insert quotes'
You can also 'select all', 'cut', then paste in another page's response box (also works for DM references)

This Reddit comment is just some random account that claims to work for a company providing data to investment firms. No link to source data, no discussion of how sampling was performed, no nothing that would add credibility.