Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would align with what we heard on the October Q3 earnings call. They told us it was essentially the first time they had plenty of cells, they were not cell constrained when it came to autos at least. This could be another very significant added tailwind to Q4 results. Unfortunately, I doubt analysts will want to model this growing revenue stream going forward because growth of energy is dependent upon cells remaining unconstrained.

As usual, keep your eyes on the batteries! People are off in the weeds worrying about not having a public relations department. That would be like me worrying about whether people would still like me if they saw my socks didn't match.
Those cells for energy are lifepo, Tesla took the excess 2170 cells and launched the semi , 100 a week is quite the cell monster. 4680 slowly growing.

Thanks Troy and kudos for coming on and clarifying your intent and approach

If your error rate is > 10% for 1st 40 days why post at all? It just is used as reference by rest of FUDsters that Tesla crowd needs to refute from the beginning of quarter.

Also your accuracy rate is for end of quarter, so rest of quarter is just opinion

He heavily promotes and vigorously defends those beginning of quarter estimates and yet always says his later adjustments make them no longer relevant. Somehow in his mind the negative impression he presented for the first few weeks of a quarter just disappear when he edits the estimate.

If he picked any of these strategies his position wouldn't be attacked

* don't show early quarter estimates that are inaccurate, wait for that information that comes out mid quarter and post a more accurate first guess
* show early in quarter predictions but invite corrections, and don't defend them like he's the only one that knows what's coming
* somehow be more accurate with early quarter predictions.

You can't have it both ways, if your first prediction is less accurate than the field and you get to a reasonably accurate adjustment later we are going to view you as inaccurate on average.

If you make constant adjustments it's like crying wolf. We'll stop listening after a while. Pick your entry points and adjust when you need to but don't promote every single adjustment.

He heavily promotes and vigorously defends those beginning of quarter estimates and yet always says his later adjustments make them no longer relevant. Somehow in his mind the negative impression he presented for the first few weeks of a quarter just disappear when he edits the estimate.

* don't show early quarter estimates that are inaccurate, wait for that information that comes out mid quarter and post a more accurate first guess
* show early in quarter predictions but invite corrections, and don't defend them like he's the only one that knows what's coming

You can't have it both ways, if your first prediction is less accurate than the field and you get to a reasonably accurate adjustment later we are going to view you as inaccurate on average.

If you make constant adjustments it's like crying wolf. We'll stop listening after a while. Pick your entry points and adjust when you need to but don't promote every single adjustment.
Why do you look at his numbers then if you dont trust them? There is no gun to your head, put him on ignore. You’d only be paying attention and caring if you were trying to speculate.

Why do you look at his numbers then if you dont trust them? There is no gun to your head, put him on ignore. You’d only be paying attention and caring if you were trying to speculate.
It doesn’t matter if anyone here looks at troys numbers, it’s the masses. He’s the longest running P&D analyzer I can remember. He has “clout” which will be listened to my MSM over anyone else. So his Fuddy duddy outlook is hurting everyone during an already stressed out quarter. Looks like he’s reanalyzing everything again due to another CN incentive.

Time to update your model and tell everyone

The hit pieces by the msm have also been more aggressive this Q so no surprise an incentive is being thrown out there.

Some see it as a negative to discount in place of PR massaging: I see it as smart marketing that plays on FOMO and every dollar that isn’t going toward marketing is a dollar you can pass on to the consumer in savings.

Well, I'm sure the MSM would want to spread good news about Tesla if only there were a source of such information, right?

Those focused, proud investigative journalists are on the cusp of uncovering the facts right this minute. They, each and all, have always gone above and beyond in their due diligence to verify their stories.

This being so, they would fairly report both sides of the story and even offer a sly smile as the Tesla sourced info proved the now embarrassed source wrong.

That is how the news always works, regardless of whether it is telling a story about industry, politics, social injustice, etc.

As these pillars of documentary excellence are graduates of the Walter Cronkite school of fair journalism and would rather quit their job than follow the money by supporting the source of their employer's income.

Ipso facto, it is highly unlikely that FUD could possibly take a higher viewer share than fact as there is no historical evidence in modern news which would suggest, much less support, such dirty, stinking behavior from our proud, balanced news channels.

/S

I guess I just don't mind people making predictions which turn out to be wrong.

Many of us have spreadsheet models for Tesla, many of us make quarterly predictions, yet most of us are wrong in the end. Some are too optimistic and some are too pessimistic, but as an investor I still appreciate hearing everyone's opinions and reasonings. It's my job to parse through the predictions and choose which ones I put faith into.

I enjoy hearing Troy's predictions even though I feel he's often too conservative. I don't take his errors personally, I simply use that knowledge to weigh his future updates.

I suppose I just don't understand the vitriol so many people here have towards Troy.

IPhone global backlog is zero, so how are they making record iPhone sales every quarter? Pretty sure if their backlog is zero, they should have zero sales.
Good point. However iPhone is demand limited, so it’s in a different position.

I seem to recall reading that Tesla aims to keep the order book in the 2-4 week range, pulling or removing demand levers as necessary.

Troy is now spreading FUD about inventory.

As @Artful Dodger pointed out, Tesla is intentionally trying to push sales to inventory and bring the backlog down. Which would then render Troy’s entire demand FUD based on backlog mute.

So what do you do then? Start questioning the inventory numbers. I’m not disputing that there might be duplicates of one config. I haven’t looked into it enough and just in the 15-20 mins I looked just now, still saw some instances of where exact same configs were listed multiple times and not just once, as Troy is claiming. But either way, to start a narrative that there might upwards of 12 or 15 vehicles per configuration at each location is just blatant fear mongering and FUD.

He knows what he’s doing here and I find it disgusting. There’s zero reason for even trying to bring this narrative into focus because there is zero way he’s going to have access to even 1% of the data needed to make any sort of assumption.

Do you see the fallacy here?

No one is shooting down every piece of information as FUD. And no one is trying to suppress access to data. People *are* making a judgement on how valid specific data points are. That's exactly what you say they should be doing.
Just seems that way to me. I find if someone calls it FUD it tends to shut down the discussion.

The appropriate response in this case should be to question the method or the accuracy of of doing this. Calling it FUD to me just makes the statement that someone is being untruthful or trying to twist the facts, which in this case they are not.

Wasnt there a brief discussion about Elon needing a vacation? Looks like he’s having a ball at World Cup.

(He posted, so I’m not doxxing him 😂)
And look who's with...
1671385534711.png

Sometimes very knowledgeable people are wrong.

If a brain surgeon has made a mistake, Joe Blow is not entitled to an opinion on the best way to perform the next surgery.

Einstein made a mistake with the Cosmological Constant. That doesn’t entitle just anyone, to have an opinion on his next theory.

After a CEO makes a mistake that doesn’t mean someone else with no qualifications, knows how to run THEIR business better than they do.

Everybody makes mistakes. We are all human. But that does not mean non-experts in the field, have just as valid an opinion as the experts who have made mistakes in that field.

Why I think this is funny is because somehow this is a topic of discussion in the first place.

The mindset is that based on Tesla's profit per car there is near infinite demand as they can 'goose demand' (with various levers due to outside variables like the IRA kicking in Jan 1st) and still make a healthy profit WHILE cratering demand for other non-Tesla purchase options.

So why even discuss it? Tesla continues to manage demand due to supply constraints. Is this not obvious to everyone? Tesla does NOT want months of backlog, they already know there is infinite demand. This is also why new factories are about to be announced and they secured critical element supply chains for 10+ years back in 2015. Do you really think Tesla would have forecasted 20M/year in 2030 without securing these contracts?

My goodness, the writing on the wall has been there ever since Zach said Tesla is overwhelmed with demand from Model Y. And it was there before that when Elon predicted Model Y would be the best selling vehicle in the world. And very soon it will be.

So, why are we discussing demand again? I get Troy makes money based on his projections, but for this thread, it is well known 'how things are going' vs 'how it has been'.

To be more specific.

Tesla becoming demand constrained should not be a concern. But Tesla needing to pull demand levers, because production growth begins outpacing demand growth, is a very valid concern.

Even though they have lots of margin headroom and are rapidly decreasing costs, it would still be preferable if they did not have to pull the demand levers at all.

Just seems that way to me. I find if someone calls it FUD it tends to shut down the discussion.

The appropriate response in this case should be to question the method or the accuracy of of doing this. Calling it FUD to me just makes the statement that someone is being untruthful or trying to twist the facts, which in this case they are not.
It also destroys the credibility of the person claiming did when it wasn’t anything more than data they did not like.

Why is 6.5 too high?
EoQ global inventory has only been 4 or lower three times. Only once in Q2.
Tesla global days of inventory at quarter end :
2019: 30,18,11,17
2020: 20,17,14,11
2021: 8,9,6,4
2022: 3,4,8
Q2 to Q3 2022 had a 53% jump in production (20% jump compared to Q4 '21 or Q1 '22), shipping/ delivery can't just instantly handle a 130k step change.
I guess there are two areas of confusion I have.

1) Trying to estimate US inventory by non-systematic anecdotal reporting of duplicate configurations seems like a terrible methodology. It has the appearance of grasping at straws to rationalize increased inventory (and associated, you know * @Krugerrand denied *).

2) As @mongo points out above, so what? The difference between 4.2 or 6.5 production days worth of inventory seems completely inconsequential to me, unless Tesla has run out of parking spaces and has to dump them in the ocean.

But what do I know? Maybe the only way Tesla has to avoid a mountain of unsold cars piling up is to shut down the factory. I tend to believe Tesla when they say they can sell every car they manage to make for the foreseeable future. I would expect things like pricing, domestic/export mix, option mix, etc. would be the knobs first tweaked. Maybe accumulating cars for the next available RoRo. Still can’t see factory shutdown as a result.

we'll see