Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wot, back to the same price level we were at in China while Giga Shanghai was still ramping? Now we have 200% more production, but the same pricing power? (and much lower COGS with >90% localized producition)

I'd call that a win. The Market is gonna try to twist the results, and often succeed in the short term. But perception doesn't trump performance, and when the recession clouds clear then Tesla is going to emerge as a major manufacturor, with no debt, a strong balance sheet, and an amazing TAM for it's upcoming product, the $25K car (which will sell 8M / yr).

Planning. Perspective. Focus. We are winning (soon shortzes will be whining).

Cheers to the Longs!
If the price cuts stoke demand then I see the benefit. But selling a Model 3 today for 35,000 yuan less than they sold it for yesterday, I don't see as a win

LOL

1673016140529.png

Reactions: FSDtester#1
Pre-market volume today set a new all-time record at 13,741,659 (13.7M) shares traded.

That is 16.7% higher than the previous record volume in the Pre-Market.

Shortzes think their China demand thesis has been vindicated. Instead, they'll just find out that Tesla's pricing power will propell them to the top of the industry while lesser manufacturors fall to the wayside. Shortzes just won't be here to see it happen ('cuz dey short).

Cheers to the Longs!

Yeah… I wonder why Rob Maurer was focussing on lower margins (he only briefly mentioned lower costs), when this could just be a consequence of better technology, cheaper parts,… This will give demand a serious boost, while margins could remain the same. We all know what that means.

Margins are, of course, more sensitive to price cuts than incremental manufacturing efficiency improvements simply because it's a lot easier to knock 7% off margins with a price cut than it is to add 7% to the margins with efficiency improvements. I will be very interested to see how well Tesla's margins hold up through some liberal price cutting but those who think they might not go down at all, or only a couple of percent, will probably be disappointed.

The good news is prices can go up or down at will while manufacturing efficiencies have persistence and can even be cloned in other production facilities. Tesla's focus on innovation in the design and manufacture of vehicles is what put them in the dominant competitive position they currently enjoy and any competitor who thinks Tesla will stop innovating now will be in for a rude awakening.

Tesla's presumed competitors want their engineers and workers to be innovative, they talk about being innovative, they try to encourage it, but they lack the culture and the people to innovate as well, and even when they do innovate, they lack the corporate structure to make it happen, at least with the kind of speed and efficiency that Tesla has repeatedly demonstrated. Which is just a long-winded way of saying there is no conceivable way in which Tesla will not continue to widen the gap in production efficiency. It's in their corporate DNA.

If the price cuts stoke demand then I see the benefit. But selling a Model 3 today for 35,000 yuan less than they sold it for yesterday, I don't see as a win
Its the better of the two crappy options. Either sell the car and take the hit, or produce less and take the hit. Either way you are taking a hit. However selling the car gets people in seats, who then can be a Tesla customer forever given their high satisfaction score. Tesla do have their own private charging stations in China which BYD customers don't have access to. Get used to that ecosystem and you may never switch.

In for 20 shares in one of the kid's Coverdale accounts at 101.90.

Now to see if the second one executes. Man, do I love a good bargain!
Funny story (kinda): HIGHLY intelligent coworker and I had a conversation a few weeks ago. Was telling me he bought at $285. At time of our conversation, TSLA was at $216 and he said "this is a really good price to buy more. You should buy some now". And he went on to tell all of the very technical wall street type explanations of why the $216 was a DEAL at that time. I only countered with "I dont think so. Competition is ramping up, Elon is acting crazy, alienating people, and the whole FSD thing is a sham, and Elon says Tesla's life depends on FSD".

He basically said "you dont understand the market, those things dont matter". (and to be honest, I get that those things probably dont matter to wall street?)

Either way, I didnt buy. And still havent (yet). LOL

Regarding price cuts: I still do not understand how they are planning to bring a 500 mile range cybertruck with the proposed 70k price. Are current price cuts reflecting this pending improved efficiency in output and production?

The IRA limit for pickups is $80K, why would Tesla sell it for $70K when all other competitors will max out the retail limits? Cuz Tesla said $70K back in Nov 2019 at the pre-Covid, pre-inflation reveal event?

Uh, no. :p

Funny story (kinda): HIGHLY intelligent coworker and I had a conversation a few weeks ago. Was telling me he bought at $285. At time of our conversation, TSLA was at $216 and he said "this is a really good price to buy more. You should buy some now". And he went on to tell all of the very technical wall street type explanations of why the $216 was a DEAL at that time. I only countered with "I dont think so. Competition is ramping up, Elon is acting crazy, alienating people, and the whole FSD thing is a sham, and Elon says Tesla's life depends on FSD".

He basically said "you dont understand the market, those things dont matter". (and to be honest, I get that those things probably dont matter to wall street?)

Cool story bro.

This is the classic "time the market" thesis, which has been disproven time and time again.

Simple question - and I don't know where things are going - but what happens if we don't hit your number? Years later, after multiple more splits, the difference in cost basis between what I bought at and what you want to buy at is pretty small. But the difference in wealth accumulation of me buying through dollar cost averaging and you waiting to time the bottom (which historically doesn't work well) and eventually not buying . . . is huge.

Agree that Tesla hasn't suddenly made their COGS 10%-15% cheaper in China. However Q4 22 is the first quarter with the higher volume production out of GigaShanghai so we could see COGS had already dropped some over the last 3 months and could continue to drop over the next few months as further efficiencies filter through. There is also likely some margin compression. So I doubt margins have gone from ~30% to 17% due to price cuts - It's more likely that they were creping above 30% prior to price cuts/discounts and we are still at a number higher than 17%. The Q4 financials should give us more colour.
Shanghai was almost certainly earning significantly better than 30% margins, because Zach said that in Q3 auto gross margin excluding regulatory credits would’ve been nearly 30% with Berlin and Texas excluded, and we know Shanghai is more profitable than Fremont due to lower wages and higher efficiency.

Zach also said that Q3 was probably when material costs peaked and that substantial declines were expected to kick in seriously around Q1. We also now have whatever line upgrades were done a few months ago that also should’ve reduced cost per car.

This move of course does lower margins relative to whatever they were before the cuts, but I think 17% is a very conservative guess.

Last edited:
This is the classic "time the market" thesis, which has been disproven time and time again.

Simple question - and I don't know where things are going - but what happens if we don't hit your number? Years later, after multiple more splits, the different in cost basis between what I bought at and what you bought at is pretty small. But the difference in wealth accumulation of me buying through dollar cost averaging and you waiting to time the bottom (which historically doesn't work well) and eventually not buying . . . is huge.
Oh I definitely get it. But in general, I set a "buy" price that I feel is appropriate (for my personal picks of stocks, which is a bit less than 10% of my overall portfolio. Im not good enough with stocks/investments to trust myself with anymore than that, so the rest of my investment is boring and goes with the 3 fund boglehead route) for the stock, set it, and let it roll. If it doesnt dip to that level, and rises instead? I already mentally set my expectations in that manner. And either pick another stock or go boring and dump it into VTI or the like. I know, boring and may not make sense. But its what works for me long term

• Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke