Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

More details on the S&P research analysis here:

The trouble with Nomads

Some extracts:

There are three distinct customer loyalty types: Super Loyalists, Loyalists and Nomads. Super Loyalists are consumers with a history of multiple repeat purchases and are most likely to repurchase from the same brand. Loyalists are consumers with a repeat purchase, and Nomads show no identifiable loyalty patterns to any brand and are most likely to defect.

Nomads who own a brand once and leave are also known as 'One and Done' - about 58 percent of Nomads left their brand in the 12 months ending July 2022. That's the highest 'One and Done' rate (defection rate of Nomads) in at least 10 years, according to data analysis by S&P Global Mobility.
My comment: the defection rate is increasing from other brands and I see a few reasons for this. The first and obvious one is that Tesla is taking market share away from other brands and this defection rate will only increase as Tesla grows. It is also obvious that more and more people are looking to buy an EV for their next vehicle and none of the other brands are able to scale up production to meet that demand. I think another reason is that the other brands are all struggling with technology and software and as cars become more advanced their customers are experiencing more problems and frustration with the user interface in the car.

Brands who have a presence in more segments tend to have a lower 'One and Done' rate. Filling a portfolio gap (by launching a vehicle in a key segment) helps brands retain nomads (and customers in general).
My comment: This makes Tesla's ability to retain a higher percentage of customers even more impressive (with such a limited range of vehicles it's even more difficult to retain customers). As Tesla enters more segments of the market (Cybertruck, van, smaller vehicle etc...) this bodes well for future retention of customers. As we all know, Tesla continuously focuses on making the product better rather than wasting resources on marketing to create the 'perception' of a better product.

auto-blog-2022-12-19-chart.png

While Tesla's high share of first-time owners (83%) isn't too surprising, their ability to keep those new customers is extraordinary. Tesla's 'One and Done' rate is just 39% compared to 58% for the industry (remember, a lower number is better in this case). The next-best 'One and Done' rate goes to Ford at 50%. However, Nomad share of Ford's return-to-market households in less than half of Tesla's.
(the bolding is mine)
My comment: because more of Tesla's customers are 'Nomads' that makes it harder for Tesla to retain those customers as they are inherently more likely to defect. This makes it even more impressive that they have managed to turn a greater percentage of those customers into 'Loyalists' and 'Super Loyalists'.

nomadloyalty.png

Last edited:
Reports are still coming in since November of EA chargers frying cars and in at least two cases welding themselves to the car charge port. I’ve heard EA continues to have multiple challenges with their supplier but have not heard of this one. At least in other cases you can drive off to find another working charger nearby.

Have there been any reports where Teslas have been «fried» on the EA chargers? The cause could be bug in communications protocol/stack in the cars, not necessarily the charger’s fault?

Have there been any reports where Teslas have been «fried» on the EA chargers? The cause could be bug in communications protocol/stack in the cars, not necessarily the charger’s fault?
Possible, but it's also possible it's a certain percentage of charging times. Tesla drivers are much more likely to use SuperChargers rather than EA so there the critical percentage may not have been reached.

Reports are still coming in since November of EA chargers frying cars and in at least two cases welding themselves to the car charge port. I’ve heard EA continues to have multiple challenges with their supplier but have not heard of this one. At least in other cases you can drive off to find another working charger nearby.

Yeah probably will never use EA ccs if it break cars all time. Got to say this is one issue ICE never have to deal with, where getting gas can break the car (unless human error like putting diesel into a gas engine). EA is not making adoption any easier.

This is true but there is a reason I became a lot less optimistic about the timeline for full autonomy sometime around the middle of last year. Basically, it's due to the flattening of the improvement curve, a curve that was previously steepening. Trends matter. Previously, the improvement curve was accelerating, and I expected that to continue. That was my failing. The reason it did not, IMO, is we have entered the "march of 9's" and I think it's under-appreciated how significant the "march of 9's" really is. Even Musk seems to know this judging by the fact that most of his specific near-term statements about FSD timelines exclude regulatory approval and actual autonomous deployment, choosing to focus instead on "feature complete" or other metrics that are before the "march of 9's" is fully complete.

Because I think the bulk of the value of FSD does not happen until it is fully autonomous and, even then, it will take a while for the general public to accept its superior safety, I think most of the value will be recognized and capitalized on in a more gradual manner, over a longer period of time, not in a singular "aha" moment. FSD is already contributing to auto margins and that will gradually accelerate with increasing levels of adoption, increasing levels of revenue recognition and, eventually, greatly increasing prices and real-world, profitable applications. But it will be a gradual process, overall, and there is no one defining moment at which it is perfected. That is what the "march of 9's" is. A long, gradual process.

I do have some hope that Dojo will greatly accelerate the "march of 9's", hopefully starting later this year, but that doesn't mean it will be a fast thing, simply that Tesla has increasingly powerful tools for a very difficult job. That said, people who think full autonomy will take until 2030 or beyond are just out in left field without sufficient imagination to see that the foundations have been laid for full success, well before this decade lapses.
I believe your sentiment regarding the flattening of the improvement curve of FSD(beta) capability is shared by many Tesla investors/followers.

I too have adopted a more pessimistic view in the sense that autonomy is "less than five years away" instead of "less than two years away" (when Elon would spread hype with bold statements on Lex Fridman/AI Day #1/Autonomy Day).

That said, I'm still more hopeful than some given the following.

When talking the flattening of the improvement curve, Elon always points out that improvements follow an S-curve. This is true for vehicle manufacturing ramps, but the same is true for software improvement. As Elon mentioned (for example in his last interview on the Lex Fridman podcast if I'm not mistaken), sometimes a lot of work is necessary to take one next step, but that step builds a foundation for easier improvement after that step. Therefore sometimes we see little to no improvement (or even regression) for some time, but foundations are built for faster improvement and a higher performance ceiling at a later date.

Some examples of this in FSDbeta development are the code rewrites to for example (1) move from processed image input to raw photon count, (2) move to single stack for FSDbeta v11, (3) move from single image recognition per camera to fusing camera inputs, fusing by Neural Networks instead of heuristics based, ...
Right now the Tesla Autopilot team has just rewritten the entire codebase to transition to the single stack, and we saw very little improvement in the recent months (or slower than most had hoped). As predicted by many, including Elon, the freshly built single stack to rule them all would be a step backwards on highways from the current Navigate on Autopilot capability, and most likely Tesla saw it was a huge step backwards and did not want to release v11 in this state.

The many v11 releases with employees only are IMO a race to feature parity with FSD beta v10/Navigate-on-Autopilot.

However, once v11 will be released to all curent FSDbeta participants (400k in the USA), the software can again improve at an increased rate.

Not that v11 will magically provide perfect autonomy, but that its performance ceiling will be much higher than the current v10 (which splits up driving tasks depending on location).

Most likely the v11 - which among other things will make use of the Occupancy Network (currently active for city streets in FSDbeta v10) - will be the foundation for park assist features based on Occupancy Network to run on cars without ultrasonic sensors. I'm guessing the Occupancy Network is currently being improved upon before v11 release as to make it reliable enough to provide park assist/autopark and the like. If not this would result in possible liability since park assist features aren't just beta software with little legal consequences.

To sum up, I believe the past few months have been the end of an S-curve, but also mark the beginning of a new S-curve in software improvement that will find support in the single stack. I'm very curious to see where FSDbeta will be at in 6 to 12 months.

(Final note: I'm less optimistic on Dojo in the short term, since Elon hopes for it to be 'only' as good as the GPU cluster this year, and better than the GPU cluster starting 2024. Since Dojo is just another method for video training, it is no magic bullet. Yes, Tesla will be able to train more NN's with both the GPU cluster AND Dojo by end of 2023 but that's only a 2x improvement. I'm more excited for when Dojo is 5x/10x better than the GPU cluster and Tesla can train ridiculously fast compared to nowadays.)

I don't have the links right now, but it was from Kyle/OutOfSpec

More than one time he saw the charger delivering more than the vehicle was requesting in charge current, guess this is that but more extreme

Not good either way

I think my computer is broken.

I click on the Calendar and it says it is Monday, but, the SP is practically static and the number of new posts on TMC are also very much like a Sunday morning.

Anyone else experiencing something similar? It is a conspiracy?

Or, could it be that folks aren't getting their coffee this morning?

Anyone got some jumper cables to get things started?

I think my computer is broken.

I click on the Calendar and it says it is Monday, but, the SP is practically static and the number of new posts on TMC are also very much like a Sunday morning.

Anyone else experiencing something similar? It is a conspiracy?

Or, could it be that folks aren't getting their coffee this morning?

Anyone got some jumper cables to get things started?
The fuse is lit. Nothing to say waiting for the BOOM.

This will be a very good year for Tesla

I am pleased that so far nobody thinks "profit taking" is a good idea at this absurdly low SP. [edit: perhaps I spoke too soon ;))

Last edited:
More price cuts are surely coming to the Auto industry. Interest rates aren't coming down until prices do, at least across Autos and other rate-sensitive goods affected by the limited tools available to central banks.

Darth Powell will get his way and it'll mean earnings compression across the industry

Yeah probably will never use EA ccs if it break cars all time. Got to say this is one issue ICE never have to deal with, where getting gas can break the car (unless human error like putting diesel into a gas engine). EA is not making adoption any easier.
Don't discount the number of times people put gas into a diesel tank. It has happened and it results in an expensive engine repair if you don’t realize it happened, or a messy drain and flush if you do. Also, there‘s a reason why gas pumps have quick disconnect fittings on their hoses (people driving off while still attached), and no smoking signs. Gas stations aren’t exactly foolproof.

But yeah, EA is a disaster. Somehow Europe doesn’t seem to have these problems. As a YouTube commentator pointed out recently, one wonders if EA is intentionally trying to sabotage EV adoption in the US.

I believe your sentiment regarding the flattening of the improvement curve of FSD(beta) capability is shared by many Tesla investors/followers.

I too have adopted a more pessimistic view in the sense that autonomy is "less than five years away" instead of "less than two years away" (when Elon would spread hype with bold statements on Lex Fridman/AI Day #1/Autonomy Day).

That said, I'm still more hopeful than some given the following.

When talking the flattening of the improvement curve, Elon always points out that improvements follow an S-curve. This is true for vehicle manufacturing ramps, but the same is true for software improvement. As Elon mentioned (for example in his last interview on the Lex Fridman podcast if I'm not mistaken), sometimes a lot of work is necessary to take one next step, but that step builds a foundation for easier improvement after that step. Therefore sometimes we see little to no improvement (or even regression) for some time, but foundations are built for faster improvement and a higher performance ceiling at a later date.

Some examples of this in FSDbeta development are the code rewrites to for example (1) move from processed image input to raw photon count, (2) move to single stack for FSDbeta v11, (3) move from single image recognition per camera to fusing camera inputs, fusing by Neural Networks instead of heuristics based, ...
Right now the Tesla Autopilot team has just rewritten the entire codebase to transition to the single stack, and we saw very little improvement in the recent months (or slower than most had hoped). As predicted by many, including Elon, the freshly built single stack to rule them all would be a step backwards on highways from the current Navigate on Autopilot capability, and most likely Tesla saw it was a huge step backwards and did not want to release v11 in this state.

The many v11 releases with employees only are IMO a race to feature parity with FSD beta v10/Navigate-on-Autopilot.

However, once v11 will be released to all curent FSDbeta participants (400k in the USA), the software can again improve at an increased rate.

Not that v11 will magically provide perfect autonomy, but that its performance ceiling will be much higher than the current v10 (which splits up driving tasks depending on location).

Most likely the v11 - which among other things will make use of the Occupancy Network (currently active for city streets in FSDbeta v10) - will be the foundation for park assist features based on Occupancy Network to run on cars without ultrasonic sensors. I'm guessing the Occupancy Network is currently being improved upon before v11 release as to make it reliable enough to provide park assist/autopark and the like. If not this would result in possible liability since park assist features aren't just beta software with little legal consequences.

To sum up, I believe the past few months have been the end of an S-curve, but also mark the beginning of a new S-curve in software improvement that will find support in the single stack. I'm very curious to see where FSDbeta will be at in 6 to 12 months.

(Final note: I'm less optimistic on Dojo in the short term, since Elon hopes for it to be 'only' as good as the GPU cluster this year, and better than the GPU cluster starting 2024. Since Dojo is just another method for video training, it is no magic bullet. Yes, Tesla will be able to train more NN's with both the GPU cluster AND Dojo by end of 2023 but that's only a 2x improvement. I'm more excited for when Dojo is 5x/10x better than the GPU cluster and Tesla can train ridiculously fast compared to nowadays.)
All this is true, but there is yet another major rewrite lurking. Even in V11, NN are used only for perception, not for driving inputs. Tesla wants to move towards having a NN control the car as well, and that’s going to be yet another two steps forward, one step back scenario. There are plenty of optimizations still being done to speed up performance as well, which are also necessary. The current NN sometimes falls behind reality.

But yeah, EA is a disaster. Somehow Europe doesn’t seem to have these problems.
We've only heard about the bricked vehicles being a F-150 Lightning and a R1T. Neither of those exist in Europe, and we really don't have a root cause for this issue to know what caused it,

But I would guess that there have been more Teslas charged at EA than R1Ts.

All this is true, but there is yet another major rewrite lurking. Even in V11, NN are used only for perception, not for driving inputs. Tesla wants to move towards having a NN control the car as well, and that’s going to be yet another two steps forward, one step back scenario. There are plenty of optimizations still being done to speed up performance as well, which are also necessary. The current NN sometimes falls behind reality.
Indeed, and IMO that's a good thing. The moment Tesla has no idea how to progress further (before autonomy is achieved) would be a disaster.

Did not see this posted here.

My guess is they have had further failures in testing and with all the Bolt issues decided to switch.

Only took them about 1 1/2 years from Elon's tweet.

Now I think I understand why there were so few Hummers and Lyriq (<100 each) for the 4th quarter 2022 for GM. The Hummer plant was shutdown for the month of December as well. This looks to be a real disaster for GM but they have said nothing.

Edit: Added comment on low deliveries for Q4 2022.

Yeah, these articles came from a translated South Korean article. Seems like a rumor still but considering the source, I’d rate it probably true. The reason isn’t so much safety but cost. Once again, Elon knew what he was doing 15 years ago when they chose cylindrical (and it was for cost reasons back then too). The Korean article also says “Other car makers such as BMW, Volvo, Stellantis, and others are also planning to use the battery type as it has a productivity advantage over competing types.”

출처 : THE ELEC, Korea Electronics Industry Media(THE ELEC, Korea Electronics Industry Media)

I am pleased that so far nobody thinks "profit taking" is a good idea at this absurdly low SP.
I've done it twice so far this year, a bird in the hand and all that, plus I need beer money for the year. I'm OK with missing out on some future profits, I'll have plenty if the stock just keeps going up from here.

I've done it twice so far this year, a bird in the hand and all that, plus I need beer money for the year. I'm OK with missing out on some future profits, I'll have plenty if the stock just keeps going up from here.
My investing superpower is finding good companies to buy. My kryptonite is knowing when to sell! 😂