Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same third parties as make them now?

Hey, that's normal daily summer temperature here in the southeast USA. Biking in my hilly town does tend to be a sweat-inducing proposition, which is why I use an ebike to get around town in the summer 🙂. 50 miles/kWh beats even our Tesla handily for efficiency.
how many cyclers do we see in Chicago today?

I think Tesla has better things to do with their money, like building a few more Gigafactories. If there is no recession and the Fed stops raising rates, then there may be a buyback.

I'd rather see the SP rise through building and selling more BEV's and Megapacks personally.
This is without mentioning that buybacks make the most sense when valuations are as low as they can be and max shares can be bought then retired or whatever ends up happening with them.

The buy back should have happened 70% and barely four weeks ago, they should be about removing shares from the market and thus providing more equity ownership to investors. That theoretically increases relative EPS and thus money that would eventually be returned directly to shareholders.

GM has made many proclamations and "goals" that have increasingly bordered on knowingly defrauding investors. They continually make bolder and bolder forecasts when their actual performance when it comes to EV continues to get worse. Are you really surprised that they put out a new goal that statistically does't make sense?

Hogwash and blasphemy, you KNOW they are making up the difference with ICE sales sporting the new V8 they've invested into, instead of EVs!

/S

Last edited:
I think Tesla has better things to do with their money, like building a few more Gigafactories. If there is no recession and the Fed stops raising rates, then there may be a buyback.

I'd rather see the SP rise through building and selling more BEV's and Megapacks personally.
Forgot my /s after my statement, i agree with you on all points.

1675295929057.png

Just like how he said Tesla at $120 levels were not a buy 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Also, oracle has said this:

1675296015140.png

Absolutely against a buyback. Teslas growing cash pile is a weapon they can deploy at a time and place of their choosing as opportunity presents itself. Wasting it on buybacks now would prohibit greater opportunities In an uncertain time. A lot of more vertical Integration opportunities specifically.
I am also not a huge buyback fan. But if I found out they’d dropped a couple billion on shares when it was under $120/ share it would not hurt my feelings. But they don’t need to be dumping billions into buybacks unless the stock is deeply undervalued like it was. Right now SP is a fantastic price for retail investors, but Tesla has a need for cash.

Tesla management keeps signaling expectations of a potentially severe recession and they’re holding cash as protection. Cash is the ultimate insurance policy. Stock buyback very unlikely at least until storm has passed.

Elon said this in response to questions about Tesla expanding captive financing for car loans:

I think if we see a severe recession this year, which, like I said, hopefully, we don't, in severe recessions, cash is king big time because it's in such short supply. So we want to be cautious about using cash for loans and that sort of thing for cars. I feel we're in a very strong position to get through a recession because we really don't have any debt, and we've got over $20 billion of cash, which is great. The cash is earning a ridiculous return, not a good return, so it's like nontrivial.

Absolutely against a buyback. Teslas growing cash pile is a weapon they can deploy at a time and place of their choosing as opportunity presents itself. Wasting it on buybacks now would prohibit greater opportunities In an uncertain time. A lot of more vertical Integration opportunities specifically.
Yes and also keep in mind that some of these opportunities might include acquisitions, including acquisitions of companies with promising technology,

If Tesla believes that there are a high volume of naked shorts, there might be better strategies than a buyback. e.g. rights issue, dividend, then buyback the shares real shareholders would have purchased via the combination of the rights issue, and the dividend.,

I don’t know it helps but I am in a bit of an argument with a FUDster on Twitter. He claims that we are all belong to a cult of fanboys and that Tesla is found to be doing wrong on a massive scale.

I told him that Elon can be quite a cahracter and I wish that he would shut up on certain subjects. Tesla is doing quite well and my shares have done great in the past.. Perhaps there are certain things that could have done better but that Elon or Tesla is doing wrong on a massive scale a a bit of a stretch.
He than asked about demand problems and disappearing profits
In my reply I asked if he listened to the conference call and told him that these are non-issues. Margins are fine and price cuts are prudent due to production being more efficient. Further the price cuts are also in line with the overall mission of Tesla. Tesla is doing fine.

He then asked if I looked at the actual data. I told him again about the conference calls and that Tesla has a remarkable history of meeting and exceeding its own forecasts.

Then comes the kicker; he told me that I don’t look at the actual data.

I told him I always look critical the 10Q’s and 10K’s Just like Warren Buffet does. Like I said, I listen to the conference calls. I look at the stores and see always people inside. I think I am doing quite a thorough job studying Tesla. What do you mean by “not looking at the actual data”

Then it went silent.

I don't know if it is worth my while but I try to be civilised. These guys have such a negative bias like as we are following Elon like Jim Jones. Perhaps there are some super fanboys out there in which Elon can do no harm. I think, however, the majority of the posters here keep a healthy critical view at the development. Hopefully, the guy on Twitter starts to look a little less biased at us.

If not - I have tried my part.

Last edited:
I don’t know it helps but I am in a bit of an argument with a FUDster on Twitter. He claims that we are all belong to a cult of fanboys and that Tesla is found to be doing wrong on a massive scale.

I told him that Elon can be quite a cahracter and I wish that he would shut up on certain subjects. Tesla is doing quite well and my shares have done great in the past.. Perhaps there are certain things that could have done better but that Elon or Tesla is doing wrong on a massive scale a a bit of a stretch.
In my reply I asked if he listened to the conference call and told him that these are non-issues. Margins are fine and price cuts are prudent due to production being more efficient. Further the price cuts are also in line with the overall mission of Tesla. Tesla is doing fine.

He then asked if I looked at the actual data. I told him again about the conference calls and that Tesla has a remarkable history of meeting and exceeding its own forecasts.

Than comes the kicker; he told me that I don’t look at the actual data.

I told him I always look critical the 10Q’s and 10K’s Just like Warren Buffet does. Like I said, I listen to the conference calls. I look at the stores and see always people inside. I think I am doing quite a thorough job studying Tesla. What do you mean by “not looking at the actual data”

Then it went silent.

I don't know if it is worth my while but I try to be civilised. These guys have such a negative bias like as we are following Elon like Jim Jones. Perhaps there are some super fanboys out there in which Elon can do no harm. I think, however, the majority of the posters here keep a healthy critical view at the development. Hopefully, the guy on Twitter starts to look a little less biased at us.

You should have thrown some data back him. The Q3, Q4 margins. The expected Q1 margins. Sales numbers from last year, projected and how it compares to "competition". And as a parting gift throw some numbers on Tesla Energy and how much Tesla will be rolling in profits, thanks to IRA largesse on cell manufacturing.

View attachment 902200

Just like how he said Tesla at $120 levels were not a buy 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️

Also, oracle has said this:

View attachment 902201
Tesla bears are emboldened by their "right" calls for doom and gloom over last year or so. if you look at history of markets, with exception of prolonged bears like 2000-2002 or 1972-74 or 1929-32 etc, markets spend majority of time going up or sideways vs bear markets. in fact, bull markets typically last several years or even decades. for example 1982-2000 or 2009- 2021 etc. bull markets are like escalators going up while bear markets are like elevator going down. therefore, these bears are highly likely to be wrong in 2023 onward from a purely historical and probability standpoint. it is good to use these oracles of doom and gloom as tertiary contrarian indicators. if any consolation, they will likely stay right and poor unlike some of us wrong and super rich

Then it went silent.

I've tried to temper my fan boy tendencies. Autonomous cars ... nice. Colonize Mars ... no big deal. But when I saw that chimp playing Pong telepathically ... well, I went full cult follower.

Then it went silent.

You did well mate. You did a good job outlining why Tesla is such an excellent company and great investment. He's the one who needs look at the actual data!

And while 2023 may well exceed our expectations, 2024, with solid production of the CyberTruck and Semi, will be spectacular! Not to mention the Model Y will probably be the best selling vehicle, BEV or ICE, in the world!