Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do we know how much Lithium an average Tesla consumes? Trying to see what the real impact of Lithium price on Tesla COGS looks like.

I found 65 Kg of Li-Carbonate for "average" EV. Perhaps the Model 3/Y ?
Another 5 - 6k USD COGS increase at peak price over the good ole days. Prices in Yuan per tonne

To be clear: A battery pack does not have Li-carbonate. That is the compound quoted on the spot exchange. ~ 65 Kg is then refined further for use in a pack. The conversion is a matter of the atomic weight of Li Vs Li-carbonate, respectively

Well, I understand that it makes the monthly payment cheaper, but unfortunately for the consumer, the cost to drive the car is the highest possible by leasing. If someone cannot afford to *buy* a Tesla, they really shouldn't be renting one, and I think they are worse off when a corporation figures out a way to take their money anyways. Would be better if people would *buy* a car they can comfortably afford, and wait to buy a Tesla until they can afford it. Just my opinion. I know monthly payment shoppers probably love leasing, I just think it's kind of taking advantage of people that probably shouldn't be buying or driving an expensive Tesla.
Then don't lease one. Frankly if I were in that situation, I'd rather be driving a new Tesla. The only other "affordable" option is a used Tesla. As I've said here before, we have a Mitsubishi dealer here that typically keeps ~19 Teslas, mostly 3's, lease returns, on the lot. When Tesla dropped their prices, this dealer was forced to reduce their prices by around $12K, so now 2019 M3SR+'s are priced at between $29,998 and $33,998, mostly based on mileage. As far as I can tell, none of them have EAP or FSD.

As used cars go, that's pretty affordable, based on your down payment and the current interest rate. And even though they're between 3 and 4 years old, they're still awesome cars, even if the range has somewhat degraded (most are around 220 MPC).

I only point this out because that's another option to get into a Tesla that's relatively inexpensive. My best friend may be purchasing one, if he doesn't go with the lease, so I'll keep this thread posted.

Last edited:
Yes indeed; I believe that etching will be the way to go with the SS CT.
My niece is a very well known tattoo artist. I'd love to commission her skills towards producing something along these lines for us, via etching (although I know this looks like a wrap, and is computer generated);

View attachment 903225

My Cybertruck already has plans to get a tattoo of me.

Getting these panels ‘flat’ will be a miracle. Waviness appears in regular steel and aluminum panels in all cars of all makes. I saw a Maserati once that you could surf on the body panels. Certain colors like black can accentuate waviness just as other colors like white can hide it.

Stainless steel body panels without waviness - 😂🤣😂🤣 Time consuming, expensive and VERY, VERY difficult. I’m interested in seeing how well Tesla is able to manage it.
A lot of what you're seeing on painted panels is probably orange peel. A mirror finish can be achieved without too much difficulty on cold rolled SS. The mill finish SS that Tesla has been using in the prototypes is likely 2B. They may use a 2R mill finish for production. I'm sure quite a few owners will get their Cybertrucks mechanically polished to a mirror finish.

Last edited:
There is one big difference though. If you took out a 9 year loan, at the end of 9 years, you would be driving a 9 year-old Tesla (still a great car though). Whereas the person who continues to lease would be taking delivery of their 3rd new state-of-the-art Tesla!

Something to be considered.

I'm in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and keeping cars for a long time is my preference. Both of my current vehicles are eight years old, and were purchased used when someone sold each of them after two years of ownership.

I concede how someone who prefers changing more often will do it that way. (though the multi-lease option will include multi-down-payments as well)

We (the short-term owner and I) will both be happy with our choices and the symbiotic relationship it provides. :)

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
People forget (or don't know) the sequence of events on Aug 07, 2018: My comment #65,409

"TSLA jumped from the low 340s to the high 350s in the morning of Aug 8 after the Financial Times broke the story (12:18 pm EST) of the $2B Saudi investment in Tesla.​
"The SP only ran up another $6 after Elon's tweet (12:48 pm EST) before NASDAQ halted trading, but the SP was increasing rapidly anyway. The tweet acted as confirmation of Saudi interest in Tesla."​

The Event timeline:
Here is an annotated Google chart of TSLA share price during the time in question:

View attachment 903216

As anyone can plainly see, more than half of the share price jump happened after the Financial Times broke the story, but BEFORE Elon's tweet. Yes, 30 mins after the FT story, Elon confirmed it's validity, so naturally further TSLA buying interest appeared.

But clearly, it was the FT news of the Saudi PIF buying TSLA stock that initiated the SP jump on Aug 7, 2018, NOT Elon's tweet.

Did anybody see what happend to $LCID stock Jan 27, 2023 on the rumor that the Saudi PIF would buy out the remainder of Lucid's shares? That was a 100% pop going from $9 to $18, and causing the exchange to halt trading 9 separate times. Note that TSLA shares only rose a max ~9% (from $340 to $370) after the Saudi news on Aug 7, 2018.

$LCID shares fell when the rumor was debunked. IS THE #SEC GONNA SUE NOW? Are gamblers investors being protected?!

View attachment 903224

Cheers!

Don't share this factual post of the sequence of events with the TSLAQ crowd in the Elon/Twitter thread.

Heads would explode if you shattered their fragile narrative. Genuinely, they are already pissed off he lost the trial.

My philosophy, that I don't hesitate to share with young people, is buy used cars that you can easily afford until you've achieved a comfortable level of wealth. I bought new for the first time last summer at 57 years old. We, as a world and as a society, want a cleaner planet. We, as individuals need to do what's best for us. If that means buying an '82 Honda Accord, that spews out tailpipe emissions, do it.
Exactly. If you're not well off, buy a cheap serviceable used car with by the pound and pay yourself what the lease would have cost you, and after a couple go-arounds, you'll have saved yourself enough money to buy a new car outright.

Last edited:
I'm in the camp of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and keeping cars for a long time is my preference. Both of my current vehicles are eight years old, and were purchased used when someone sold each of them after two years of ownership.

I concede how someone who prefers changing more often will do it that way. (though the multi-lease option will include multi-down-payments as well)

We'll both be happy with our choices and the symbiotic relationship. :)
Actually I've driven used cars all my life. My current rigs are a 2003 Mercedes Benz E320 and a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country. Only vehicle I've ever bought new was a 1993 Explorer, mainly because my former spouse waa able to take advantage of a Ford employee discount (passed down from her Dad). The Explorer served us well, but so have most of my used rigs, so no worries my friend!

But circumstances have changed with age and investing in Tesla so that I can actually afford to buy new, when I get back on my feet that is. Hopefully later this year if the Dawg's willing and the creek don't rise ;-)

People forget (or don't know) the sequence of events on Aug 07, 2018: My comment #65,409

"TSLA jumped from the low 340s to the high 350s in the morning of Aug 8 after the Financial Times broke the story (12:18 pm EST) of the $2B Saudi investment in Tesla.​
"The SP only ran up another $6 after Elon's tweet (12:48 pm EST) before NASDAQ halted trading, but the SP was increasing rapidly anyway. The tweet acted as confirmation of Saudi interest in Tesla."​

The Event timeline:
Here is an annotated Google chart of TSLA share price during the time in question:

View attachment 903216

As anyone can plainly see, more than half of the share price jump happened after the Financial Times broke the story, but BEFORE Elon's tweet. Yes, 30 mins after the FT story, Elon confirmed it's validity, so naturally further TSLA buying interest appeared.

But clearly, it was the FT news of the Saudi PIF buying TSLA stock that initiated the SP jump on Aug 7, 2018, NOT Elon's tweet.

Did anybody see what happend to $LCID stock Jan 27, 2023 on the rumor that the Saudi PIF would buy out the remainder of Lucid's shares? That was a 100% pop going from $9 to $18, and causing the exchange to halt trading 9 separate times. Note that TSLA shares only rose a max ~9% (from $340 to $370) after the Saudi news on Aug 7, 2018.

$LCID shares fell when the rumor was debunked. IS THE #SEC GONNA SUE NOW? Are gamblers investors being protected?!

View attachment 903224

Cheers!
SEC does not sue nor investigate CEO's with British accents. It is clearly stated in the SEC 'rulebook' on page 69, line 420. :)

That is way too simplistic. Day trading speculator bought on the tweet, and lost money when the deal collapsed and they sold. <<<shrug>>>

I personally also bought on the tweet. The only difference between me and the aggrieved speculators was that I held on to the stock.
I bought my first shares at $345 right before the tweet. I was sad that I wouldn’t be able to stay invested in tesla, but it was clear to me that it wasn’t a done deal yet, so I held on. Still holding. These guys are obviously smarter than I.

Current spot price for Li-Carbonate is 437 Yuan per Kg,
So Li component in Model Y LR is 437*87 Yuan = $5309 USD

$65/KWh just for the lithium? Sounds unlikely that's Tesla's cost. Panasonic NA has some long-term contracts, undoubtably for materials with the most volatile prices.

We did hear recently that Tesla signed a new lithium supply contract which is partially tied to the spot price going forward, so that's likely more equitable for the mining company. Tesla wants them to succeed, so Tesla doesn't need to become a Mining Co.

Tesla Locks Battery Material Supply; This Lithium Stock Soars | Investors.com (Jan 03, 2023)

Last edited: