Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The big question is whether Tesla will ever compete in the sub $10k EV market.

They don’t need to in order to hit 20m vehicles. Maybe that’s what the auto industry looks like in 15 years. Tesla dominating the $20k+ market with a dozen Chinese companies fighting over the $20k and less market. Much like the smartphone market with the iPhone.
Tesla's getting into golf carts?

/s

I wouldn't be so sure. Tesla made $2.3B last quarter with 450k vehicles produced. If Tesla grows 5 times while protecting their margins, they'll make $45B a year. A reasonable P/E of 20 would bring the market cap to pretty darn close to 1T.
The stock up 50% after a 5X in sales (+/- 4 years) is not a "huge run."

If it helps, I don't think they'll ever need to be public. In the private equity world, there are companies that are trying to switch the model to indexing and trading even in private equity.

Edit: As well as trying to "lower the bar" to entry for private equity.
I don’t think they need it… I want shares in these companies myself. Particularly not when they have Musk as their benefactor.

Yeah, not gonna fix itself.
Did I leave the L out of public again?

(Reread and still not seeing it).

Digging deeper into this:

View attachment 912127

Genius Henrik has given himself 2 outs when they come up way short of the 40,000+ production number:

View attachment 912128
There's 43 weeks left in 2023, so they are aiming for 1k/week in production? Umm...highly doubtful.
So .... a bit less than a car company?

Wall Street has a high opinion of companies that are not car companies... :)

No worries about macro?
Truly Successful Macro investors are a highly specialized minority subset: likes of Soros, Paul Tudor Jones, Druckenmiller etc
Rest of us are no good at predicting macros and simply regurgitate what we read in media
So, macros for an average investor are as meaningless as knowing weather patterns in Iceland.

The problem with all of these ”market share” numbers is so many people are focused on counting how many sheep are on which side of the fence, when the important thing is how quickly the sheep are going through the gate.

It doesn’t matter that GM has a millions of sheep on the one side of the fence, that field is going to be empty soon.

It also doesn’t really matter than BYD and other Chinese automakers are capturing a few as well. Tesla has a pretty good lock on the fattest ones with the softest wool. I think I’ve stretched this analogy to it’s limits now.

The market is changing, the important part is where the profits are going to flow to. Unless someone can make a good case for how other companies can either start luring Tesla’s extremely loyal fans away or how someone is going to significantly undercut them on production costs on a reasonably competitive basis, none of these market share comparisons matter.

When you lump Tesla with $5,000 cars, you aren’t doing honest analysis. Nobody is cross-shopping Tesla versus a TukTuk.

1677558195378.png

Last edited:
The problem with all of these ”market share” numbers is so many people are focused on counting how many sheep are on which side of the fence, when the important thing is how quickly the sheep are going through the gate.

It doesn’t matter that GM has a millions of sheep on the one side of the fence, that field is going to be empty soon.

It also doesn’t really matter than BYD and other Chinese automakers are capturing a few as well. Tesla has a pretty good lock on the fattest ones with the softest wool. I think I’ve stretched this analogy to it’s limits now.

The market is changing, the important part is where the profits are going to flow to. Unless someone can make a good case for how other companies can either start luring Tesla’s extremely loyal fans away or how someone is going to significantly undercut them on production costs on a reasonably competitive basis, none of these market share comparisons matter.

When you lump Tesla with $5,000 cars, you aren’t doing honest analysis. Nobody is cross-shopping Tesla versus a TukTuk.

View attachment 912150
Pretty sure everyone on TMC knows this. You should probably take to Reddit/technology or twitter to say stuff like this.

Tesla signed a $2.7 Billion contract for Cathode materials over a 2 year period (2024 - 2025). Teslas supplies agreements seem to be coming in fast now.

That’s a lotta cathode material!

EDIT: Jordan from The Limiting Factor suggests it’s potentially 60 GWh worth of material over that period for perspective. Depending on price.

Last edited:

Feb. 27, 2023 4:32 PM PST
Photo: Twitter CEO Elon Musk. Art: Shane Burke/Photo: Bloomberg
Elon Musk has approached artificial intelligence researchers in recent weeks about forming a new research lab to develop an alternative to ChatGPT, the high-profile chatbot made by the startup OpenAI, according to two people with direct knowledge of the effort and a third person briefed on the conversations.
In recent months Musk has repeatedly criticized OpenAI for installing safeguards that prevent ChatGPT from producing text that might offend users. Musk, who co-founded OpenAI in 2015 but has since cut ties with the startup, suggested last year that OpenAI’s technology was an example of “training AI to be woke.” His comments imply that a rival chatbot would have fewer restrictions on divisive subjects compared to ChatGPT and a related chatbot Microsoft recently launched.
To spearhead the effort, Musk has been recruiting Igor Babuschkin, a researcher who recently left Alphabet’s DeepMind AI unit and specializes in the kind of machine-learning models that power chatbots like ChatGPT. In an interview, Babuschkin said building a chatbot with fewer content safeguards is not Musk’s objective.

Elon Musk has approached artificial intelligence researchers in recent weeks about forming a new research lab to develop an alternative to ChatGPT, the high-profile chatbot made by the startup OpenAI, according to two people with direct knowledge of the effort and a third person briefed on the conversations.
In recent months Musk has repeatedly criticized OpenAI for installing safeguards that prevent ChatGPT from producing text that might offend users. Musk, who co-founded OpenAI in 2015 but has since cut ties with the startup, suggested last year that OpenAI’s technology was an example of “training AI to be woke.” His comments imply that a rival chatbot would have fewer restrictions on divisive subjects compared to ChatGPT and a related chatbot Microsoft recently launched.
To spearhead the effort, Musk has been recruiting Igor Babuschkin, a researcher who recently left Alphabet’s DeepMind AI unit and specializes in th
Let's help Elon come up with an appropriate name for his Chatbot.

There must be something pretty big coming for all these strangers to show up recently, and then the FSD lawsuit today. So I have a hunch it's gonna be an epic story Wed (on "Analyst Day" as they say on CNBC). Really... who's day is it?

HODL folks so you don't fall off the roller coaster! Gonna get crazy I bet.

Cheers!

Tesla signed a $2.7 Billion contract for Cathode materials over a 2 year period (2024 - 2025). Teslas supplies agreements seem to be coming in fast now.

That’s a lotta cathode material!

EDIT: Jordan from The Limiting Factor suggests it’s potentially 60 GWh worth of material over that period for perspective. Depending on price.

”Down Payment” of course suggests an initial pile of money to be followed by something else and probably not a final value, sounds like this is a down payment + unit price contract. So I would probably err on the side of being conservative there, knowing that domestic and free-trade battery materials will cost more and that’s part of what the IRA credits are designed to subsidize.

Starting Jan 2024, qualifying for any of the IRA credit requires a battery containing zero components from China / Russia / North Korea / Iran on top of the % of minerals coming from domestic or free-trade sources. Starting Jan 2025, the battery needs to contain zero critical battery minerals from those places. And now we see Tesla lining up big graphite anode material from Australia and cathode material from South Korea.

The IRA is doing what it’s supposed to do. I’d assume a higher price for these but who knows how Tesla will divvy up the materials through the batteries to hit the requirements while also deploying them as efficiently as possible to maximize the credits obtained, I’m sure that’s something they’re working through in detail.

Last edited:

To spearhead the effort, Musk has been recruiting Igor Babuschkin, a researcher who recently left Alphabet’s DeepMind AI unit and specializes in the kind of machine-learning models that power chatbots like ChatGPT. In an interview, Babuschkin said building a chatbot with fewer content safeguards is not Musk’s objective.
We'll see, I suspect this has very little to do with woke, and has more to do with having some control of the direction of AGI development, which in turn may determine the next stage of human evolution. To paraphrase someone's (rather bold) claim recently: "Those who comes up with AGI first may control human destiny for the next 1,000 years", pretty sure Musk doesn't like his fate (and the fate of his companies) to be controlled by someone else, regardless of whether that someone is woke or not.

Tesla is in a good position to help him here, with Dojo and Optimus, if they can get both to work well and at scale. The next bottleneck would be the chip fabs, which currently is very much dominated by Taiwan, not a good place to be given the geopolitics. I know people has explained in much detail why building a fab is very costly and not a good business to be in, but if the fate of humanity is on the line, he may not have a choice...

Unsure on the source, but looks like insured units in China were good for the week of Feb 20-26: over 10k insured.

I don’t know what Troy had forecasted for this week but I think this puts China sales at 57k so far out of 129k he figured overall for China in Q1.

So need an average of 14k per week for the next 5 weeks to hit 129k, that doesn’t seem too crazy against 10k this first increase eh