Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a Z1, that same orange that most of them seemed to be, at least in the Southern France area where I had mine. I doubt that material would be used for any Tesla. It worked when fastened to a BMW 325 skateboard but eBen BMW never used it that way in a normal production vehicle.

Thermoplastics have a higher coefficient of linear thermal expansion (CLTE) than metals. This requires more space to grow and shrink, which is the primary reason the Z1 (and later Saturn cars) were built with wider, unappealing body gaps. But, that was 30 years ago, before Tesla (and it's materials science teeam) even existed. Again, panel gaps likely will not be an issue for Robotaxi, where durability to abrasion is more important to the Operator. Same for commercial Operators (ie: cargo/tradesman van).

Still, there is an even larger issue at play here for Tesla and Master Plan 3: what to do with all that oil that won't be needed as fuel stock, but at the same time is at risk of becoming a stranded asset for many large 1st-world countries, and politically-powerful multinational companies? Using oil stock to make plastic body parts for 680M vehicles alone (cargo plus small car in Tesla's ID slide deck) may provide a way to use that resource w/o burning it into CO2. After that, the recyclability of the part becomes the issue. Again, Materials Science will guide the enginneering.

Cheers!

One of the three bullet points was that the new drive unit works with all battery chemistries.

i don’t understand. Don’t all drive units work with all chemistries?
Probably just a data point that had nowhere else convenient to go. Should have been listed as a feature of the vehicle architecture overall rather than the drive unit. Semi related in a batteries are related to power train way. I think the message we should be receiving is not to worry about what battery your "model 2" has, it can be anything provided by anyone, just trust Tesla it will meet whatever it's rated for.

I figure that even from a single factory we'll see 4680 in both lithium ion and lfp flavors, as well a various prismatic lfp from catl, lg, or whomever, and they'll be interchangeable on the assembly line such that there won't be any kind of change or stop to the line when switching between them. They'll be functionally equivalent black boxes with identical extension physical dimensions and connectors, and if necessary software limited to the least common denominator.

So did the Bricklin SV1. After that unqualified success, Malcom Bricklin moved on...

Thanks for that. Interesting info on thermoplastics in the Bricklin SV-1 - Wikipedia

Technical features:​

"The SV-1 is a two-door, two-seat hatchback with gull-wing doors, hidden headlamps and a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout. Its bodywork is a composite material made up of acrylic resin bonded to a fibreglass substrate. The acrylic is impregnated with the body's colour, which had the potential to reduce costs, as it eliminated the need for the factory to paint the cars in a separate step. The five "Safety" colours offered were one of the few options buyers had.[31]

This history is obviously well-known to Tesla. Could this approach reduce the cost of paint for Gen 3?

Cheers!

I know that some of you like stuff Troy posts, but how can you guys give credit to someone that is this dumb?

“Tesla won’t have sales in South America because it current has no sales there”

Holy hell, I can’t believe I read that, not even Gordon would say something this stupid, I’m happy to have muted this clown long ago

And besides, when Tesla has its oficial footprint here in Brazil, it can import vehicles tax free until 2025, which will almost cut the price in half and be cheaper that the cheapest BYD current available if that legislation passes, Tesla would certainly push for it if it intends to come here

And I’m talking about Model 3, with next gen it will arrive at a quarter of the price of a grey import Model 3 and gets closer to Corolla price

1677952811583.png

Zero EV Sales potential. It's like Troy hasn't heard that ALL cars will be electric in the future.

Oh well .. (such confidence while being wrong, ChatGPT!)

Me: What is Tesla's Master Plan 3?

ChatGPT: Tesla's Master Plan 3 (also known as "Tesla's Master Plan, Part Deux") was announced by Elon Musk, CEO of Tesla, in July 2016. The plan focuses on expanding Tesla's product offerings beyond electric cars and becoming a sustainable energy company.

The main components of the plan are:...

Me: Not master plan 2, I want no know master plan 3.

ChatGPT: I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Tesla has not officially announced a "Master Plan 3." The last known master plan from Tesla was "Master Plan, Part Deux," which was announced by Elon Musk in 2016 and included the goals of producing more affordable solar power and expanding the company's electric vehicle lineup to include trucks, buses, and other forms of transportation.

It is possible that Tesla may announce a new master plan in the future, but as of my cutoff date, there has been no official announcement. If a new master plan is announced, I will be happy to provide an update.
ChatGPT (or at least the one available to the public) doesn't have any information past 2021 if I recall correctly. It doesn't have current Internet access, just the stuff prior to 2022, so it couldn't have answered your inquiry.

How will Tesla proceed if China does not let them build a less expensive car? I think a factory in eastern Europe. Slovakia builds some of the Land Rover models we get in the U.S.

If they can't build in China for the EU then a lower income EU member is perhaps the best choice.

View attachment 913776

Zero EV Sales potential. It's like Troy hasn't heard that ALL cars will be electric in the future.
Is Troy required to only post the literal truth?

Any South American residents here that feel there is a market for a half million $25K Teslas?

The entire latin american new car market is 4 million cars. Troy is likely correct. The typical retail car buyer is truly affluent and wants an American SUV. How does Tesla profitably sell a small margin car over a vast geographic area and provide charging and service?

Troy's opinion is as good as anyone here. It's unlikely he is a working engineer.

One place I think he is recently wrong is looking at the $25K as after renbate. $32K retail rpice is too close to the entry level M3
It’s a market which Tesla has 0% market share and has fairly low EV adoption.

An ideal market for Tesla. Yes, it’s a small market, but Tesla imports cars into New Zealand. How many vehicles are sold in New Zealand every year? I think it’s less than 200,000 total. Tesla would use the same strategy they use in every region, put service centers in large cities and let people come to them.

Troy’s opinion is exactly as valid as anyone’s… and in this situation almost certainly wrong. His bizarro logic would mean Tesla would never enter a new market which is laughable.

Is Troy required to only post the literal truth?
Truth is usually considered good in my book.
Any South American residents here that feel there is a market for a half million $25K Teslas?
You yourself said there is a market for 4 million vehicles a year. If Tesla takes 20% market share, that’s 800,000 vehicles a year. Just 10% share is 400,000 and with an affordable electric car, that is highly possible.

But it’s not going to be half a million for some time. Lots of demand in Mexico and Central America first. Very possible they export to Canada as well. Most likely Tesla starts importing small numbers of cars first. They have to establish service centers and a Supercharger network to get the ball rolling.

Can one imagine the next gen S/X on the Gen 3 cheaper platform selling in the $80-$90K range? Talk about a cash cow.

Going from 30% gross margin to 50% on a $100K car adds $20K in g.m. (that's an optimisitic maximum). For 100K annual production (Tesla's stated global market for S/X), such a change adds $2B in g.m (less retooling).

In contrast, going from 30% gross margin to just 31% g.m. on 8 million $25K cars ALSO adds $2B in g.m. See why Tesla is playing for g.m. with the high volume Gen 3 platform? Which do you think is the bigger opportunity?

Cheers!

Thanks for that. Interesting info on thermoplastics in the Bricklin SV-1 - Wikipedia

Technical features:​

"The SV-1 is a two-door, two-seat hatchback with gull-wing doors, hidden headlamps and a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout. Its bodywork is a composite material made up of acrylic resin bonded to a fibreglass substrate. The acrylic is impregnated with the body's colour, which had the potential to reduce costs, as it eliminated the need for the factory to paint the cars in a separate step. The five "Safety" colours offered were one of the few options buyers had.[31]

This history is obviously well-known to Tesla. Could this approach reduce the cost of paint for Gen 3?

Cheers!
You're welcome! Both the SV-1 and Malcolm Bricklin have fascinating histories. Mr. Bricklin is still with us, and his current endeavours include attempting to transition auto dealerships into art dealerships. :)

One of his MANY business ventures was an EV startup in the early 90's. It didn't get beyond an E-bike product lineup- mostly due to the technical limitations of the lead acid batteries they were using at the time. Founding Subaru of America was probably his biggest success.

Anyhow, perhaps a similar reinforced, color impregnated thermoplastic construction material could work well on a Tesla gen 3/4 vehicle. Recyclabilty would be my main concern- but that could likely be solved.

A 25K Tesla would have a 10 Million deep order book overnight. (I'll take 1,000 thank you.) The only solution to rampant position flippers will be higher initial pricing. So, the 25K Tesla may start at 35K or more ... and have huge margins. Maybe some kind of auction process needs to be incorporated into the CT, Semi and Model Q. Dump inventory onto the market at very high prices initially and then lower the prices as demand dictates. (Dutch auction.) Options to purchase based on position in line.

:)

Even before games, they saved 3/4 of the copper mass. Trying to save more will run into ampacity limits
Um. You're right. Kind of. It's an engineering optimization problem. In no particular order the reason that one chooses a particular gauge of wire involves:
  • Ampacity limits. This is the point where power dissipated in the wire causes the wire to heat up to the point where it (typically) chars the insulation around it. (Even higher currents melt the wire, which is cool for things like fuses, but kind of counterproductive in terms of moving energy from point A to B.) Interestingly, the choice of an insulator gets into this equation, since insulators vary as regarding how much heat they can take and how well they transmit thermal energy elsewhere. For example, wires in a house (!) have different current capacities when they're embedded in an outside wall where they're in with the housing insulation which limits heat flow as compared to an interior wall, where there's no insulation and there's some convection cooling from Ye Air Passing By.
  • Power dissipation. If one is trying to move energy efficiently from point A to B then the power being dissipated in the wire goes (for wire resistance << load resistance) as I^2*R, where I is current and R is the resistance of the wire. Shorter wires dissipated less energy (goes as the length); thinner wires dissipate more (inverse of the cross-sectional area). There's fun stuff with DC or AC. DC tends to have electrons moving along throughout the body of the wire; AC tends to have electrons moving nearer the surface and, at high frequencies (1 MHz and up) are concentrated in an annular cylinder along the length of the wire, thus raising power dissipation. (This is why radio frequency, high power electronics tend to have silver plated wires. And why, above a certain frequency, waveguides are used, since that spreads the current density out. And the waveguides have silver plated surfaces on the inside, you betcha.)
  • Mass, as mentioned before. Less copper in a car means less cost (copper's not cheap) and less mass to lug around the landscape.
It's an engineering optimization problem. The power dissipation goes as the square of the current; so spreading out the current by using more wires drops power dissipation that way, but increases the cost by having more wires and insulation. No question, going to 48V for DC loads will give one the opportunity to drop power dissipation, but going to a wire cross-sectional area that's 1/16 of the original (with no other changes) won't change power dissipation, but will minimize copper costs and mass. As I said, a pretty minimization problem for Tesla, but good results, one way or another (reduced car costs, better efficiency, whatever) is pretty much a gimmie.

It’s a market which Tesla has 0% market share and has fairly low EV adoption.

An ideal market for Tesla. Yes, it’s a small market, but Tesla imports cars into New Zealand. How many vehicles are sold in New Zealand every year? I think it’s less than 200,000 total. Tesla would use the same strategy they use in every region, put service centers in large cities and let people come to them.

Troy’s opinion is exactly as valid as anyone’s… and in this situation almost certainly wrong. His bizarro logic would mean Tesla would never enter a new market which is laughable.

You may notice that New Zealand and Hawaii have characteristics not present in South America. Count the superchargers and service centers needed to support sales.

Tesla will obviously expand into south america at some point. But they don't do that by building a factory thousands of miles away that will output a half million cars a couple of years from now. They will start in the wealthiest areas and sell all the vehicles Tesla currently exports to the affluent early adopters.

A 25K Tesla would have a 10 Million deep order book overnight. (I'll take 1,000 thank you.) The only solution to rampant position flippers will be higher initial pricing. So, the 25K Tesla may start at 35K or more ... and have huge margins. Maybe some kind of auction process needs to be incorporated into the CT, Semi and Model Q. Dump inventory onto the market at very high prices initially and then lower the prices as demand dictates. (Dutch auction.) Options to purchase based on position in line.

Why am I not just buying a model 3? We know the current demand for Tesla in major markets by price point. In the U.S. supply and demand are currently in balance.

Demand at $25K may be 4X $35K. But the $25K vehicle needs to sell at $25K

The comparison was between pushing a plug in and connecting a brake line, which requires aligning the fittings, pushing them together, ideally some counterclockwise rotation of the fitting to align the threads and avoid cross threading, then tightening clockwise to the proper torque. Not rocket science but certainly more complicated than pushing in a connector.
Very true. In addition, eliminating brake fluid you eliminate a service issue (fluid is hydroscopic). My initial reaction is that it's a lot more complicated to make an electric brake actuator, but perhaps not. You can put all the ABS functionality in that actuator, rather than a separate pump. eliminate a master cylinder, etc. With hydraulic brakes, you could certainly do QD hydraulic couplings on the brake lines, but not sure it's worth it. Not sure how much of a safety concern electric actuation would be, given that you have no backup like you do if a power brake booster fails. BTW, does anyone use electric actuation now?

Very true. In addition, eliminating brake fluid you eliminate a service issue (fluid is hydroscopic). My initial reaction is that it's a lot more complicated to make an electric brake actuator, but perhaps not. You can put all the ABS functionality in that actuator, rather than a separate pump. eliminate a master cylinder, etc. With hydraulic brakes, you could certainly do QD hydraulic couplings on the brake lines, but not sure it's worth it. Not sure how much of a safety concern electric actuation would be, given that you have no backup like you do if a power brake booster fails. BTW, does anyone use electric actuation now?
Backup could possibly be designed in the motor. Plus each ebrake can be independent. From a clean sheet perspective hydraulic brakes would probably look less safe compared to an EV with ebrakes. But we know in reality that hydraulic is very safe.

"Fail On" is also a possibility with ebrakes, like air brakes.

I suspect on aspect that makes ebrakes more attractive on EV is that subtle braking isn't important. That type of braking is normally handled by the motor.

• Helpful
Reactions: y_naught