Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The port on the Tesla Semi is a MCS, prototype v2, and the MCS spec does not support AC charging. You would have to have a second charge port for AC, which apparently the Semi doesn't have.

If it were to have AC charging, the only port type that would make sense is a Type 2, J3068, which supports three-phase AC. (This is the standard AC connector in most of the rest of the world.) I think this supports up to 75kW. (63A three phase AC)
eh ? am I missing something ?

63A x 415V x rt3 (1.732) = 45 kW

63A x 440V x rt3 (1.732) = 48 kW

(hence a 50kW limit that shows up in some schemes and standards)

To get back on track, I see Tesla down again. It looks like Mr Powell’s remarks would indicate 10% car loans are a possibility again. Tough to sell against that hill. For everyone. Tesla currently at 5.59%.
Used cars are increasing per NPR story yesterday. Could it be everyone holding off to decide on an EV or the next Tesla platform, which makes used inventory anemic?

Meanwhile, Max Pain volume is pretty focused on 180 today. Considering buying more. I have a hunch that's all they want this week and we're back to 195 on Fri.

1678288572442.png

You all are the best thing that ever happened to my vocabulary.
That is one of the nicest such things I've heard.
Many decades ago my colleague and friend remarked: "ask 'unk45' what time it is and he'll tell you how to make a watch". Further he was the same colleague who gave me 'unk' as my name, and allusion to who became '45'.

On that note, do you know how vehicles are rotated between charging and parking at night? Is there a dedicated driver watching the states of charge or what?
Transit bus fleets typically employ “hostlers.” The driver just parks the bus and clocks out. Hostlers fuel the bus (for diesels) and take it through an automatic wash. Then they park the bus for later use. For electric buses the hostler can skip fueling and plug it in. Charging is automated after that, of course.

Days cab trucks, like Tesla Semi, can operate 20-22 hours/day. After a day’s deliveies the driver returns to the depot. Another driver will take a load to a different depot overnight, and then the truck will go out for deliveries the next day. Hopefully there will be time for a one hour DC fast charge, on a 1.0-1.5 MW charger, between the driver’s shifts. This is one example, different fleets have different business models and operations.

There is no need for AC charging on these big trucks and buses. It would just add weight and cost to the vehicle.

GSP

And even then, it’s not likely to be worse than a human.
On average surely not, but there's a lot of nuance to consider.

I have all kinds of questions about what the posted stat includes. Is that FSD Beta with the Autosteer on City Streets stack active, or does that include the Autopilot stack and highway miles? On the Q4 earnings call we learned that FSD Beta has racked up over 100million miles outside of highways, so does that mean there have been ~30 accidents with Autosteer on City Streets?

That number seems hard to believe, I've heard of almost no accidents on urban streets with FSD Beta and certainly none that resulted in airbag deployment. If these are happening, you'd think they would make their way onto YouTube and social media.

Used cars are increasing per NPR story yesterday. Could it be everyone holding off to decide on an EV or the next Tesla platform, which makes used inventory anemic?
Best theory I've heard is that this is the low auto supply from the pandemic unwinding. There weren't enough new cars for a few years so now that the 2020/21 cars are hitting the used market there is a deficit in that supply.

Either way it's good news for Tesla.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
The port on the Tesla Semi is a MCS, prototype v2, and the MCS spec does not support AC charging. You would have to have a second charge port for AC, which apparently the Semi doesn't have.

If it were to have AC charging, the only port type that would make sense is a Type 2, J3068, which supports three-phase AC. (This is the standard AC connector in most of the rest of the world.) I think this supports up to 75kW. (63A three phase AC)
All correct, except that 63A three phase is 44 kW with European 400 V supply (400 V * 63 A * sqrt 3)

• Informative
Reactions: scaesare
Transit bus fleets typically employ “hostlers.” The driver just parks the bus and clocks out. Hostlers fuel the bus (for diesels) and take it through an automatic wash. Then they park the bus for later use. For electric buses the hostler can skip fueling and plug it in. Charging is automated after that, of course.

Days cab trucks, like Tesla Semi, can operate 20-22 hours/day. After a day’s deliveies the driver returns to the depot. Another driver will take a load to a different depot overnight, and then the truck will go out for deliveries the next day. Hopefully there will be time for a one hour DC fast charge, on a 1.0-1.5 MW charger, between the driver’s shifts. This is one example, different fleets have different business models and operations.

There is no need for AC charging on these big trucks and buses. It would just add weight and cost to the vehicle.

GSP

Night time must be super busy for hostlers. It takes an hour to fully charge a Semi and then they have to move it out of the way and move another one to the charger and hook it in. This way a fleet can have 10 times as many trucks as chargers - chargers are expensive and take up yard space.

I reckon bus fleets work the same way, but I’m not familiar with battery size and charging speed for EV buses.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
Best theory I've heard is that this is the low auto supply from the pandemic unwinding. There weren't enough new cars for a few years so now that the 2020/21 cars are hitting the used market there is a deficit in that supply.

Either way it's good news for Tesla.
Yeah but prices going up just means interest rates go higher and stay higher for longer. The quicker everything comes down, the quicker the focus can shift away from throttling demand and back to supporting growth.

After all the hikes to date, seeing prices increasing for personal consumption items likely does not bode well for the rate outlook. There is still way too much money flying around out there relative to supply capacity.

At this point Tesla service doesn’t know if software or hardware. Or both. It is established that there is car to car variation in the performance of FSD. Mine has been wiped and reinstalled 3 times. Cameras, computer, etc check normal. I think they’re going after it the old fashioned way—throw parts at it.
Right. Car to car variance. Unless there’s a suggestion that the same numbered software versions are in fact different - that seems dubious - then logically what else could be different?

1) The hardware of the car - not just cameras, ultrasonics, and radar, but also the whole body and assembly of the vehicle.

2) End user - well known that end users each view situations in different ways and thus reactions are varied. We’ve got everything from shruggers to drama queens.

FSD Beta works as intended - like an advanced driver assist feature on a path to full autonomy. Nobody in their right mind said the path would be straight or without detours.

I hope they’re able to determine the cause in your car. It’s a great feature to use, especially when you’ve got hours of road ahead of you.

I hope some Tesla engineers do a deep dive into the social media accounts of the owner, to prove they aren't TSLAQ....
No need to go there.
The incident occurred a while ago and the owner has already recieved a new replacement vehicle from Tesla.
It is not the first time an out of process human interaction with a Tesla (or anything for that matter) caused a failure later.

Meanwhile, Max Pain volume is pretty focused on 180 today. Considering buying more. I have a hunch that's all they want this week and we're back to 195 on Fri.

View attachment 915260

We are starting to see the impact of Covid and reduced supply on used car availability and people keeping off lease cars instead of turning them in (have a few friends that have leased cars all their life just recently decide to buy them out since they couldnt find anything they wanted at a price they wanted). Couple that with tax season which usually sees a spike in car buying and you have the perfect conditions for used prices to start to climb again, ignoring the fact that rates are way up.

Night time must be super busy for hostlers. It takes an hour to fully charge a Semi and then they have to move it out of the way and move another one to the charger and hook it in. This way a fleet can have 10 times as many trucks as chargers - chargers are expensive and take up yard space.

I reckon bus fleets work the same way, but I’m not familiar with battery size and charging speed for EV buses.
One charger could have multiple cables with plugs that automatically charge one after the other sequentially. Plug them all in at once and forget.

Last edited:

GSP
Further typical municipal bus fleets operate 15 hours a day or so, since rush hours dictate route usage. The 'hostlers' operate similarly everywhere, I think, but the washing and cleaning routes vary greatly with labor costs etc. The accumulated municipal bus fleet experiences from China, Chile and elsewhere all point towards major improvements in non-fuel operating costs as well as huge refueling efficiency driven in large part by recharging being inversely related to energy consumption patterns.

I'm trying to find publicly available data but thus far without much success. By now there is huge available data from China, parts of Europe and elsewhere. When some fo us can find that data it should inform Tesla Semi as well, although the use cases are quite different. Pepsi, at least seems to stay within >15 hours per day. Tesla's own fleet is possibly higher but with charging available every 4-6 hours in the present Sparks-East Bay routes.

All the accumulating experience seems to confirm the most optimistic visions.

The one I'd most like to know is this one:

Soon we need to begin to imagine Tesla's five year view...