Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A Volvo car almost killed me. The LKA stopped working and didn't even make an audible chime to warn me to take over, just drove me into oncoming traffic. Managed to steer away but lost a mirror and scared the *sugar* out me. The system is designed that way, there are multiple ways it will just stop without a warning. Set it 137km/h and in a downhill it goes more than 140km/h and it just silently stops. Lane lines become unclear and it just stops the steering no warning etc.

Tesla may not be perfect, but they are years ahead of the competition. Try a Model S 2012 autopilot vs many of the 2023 LKA systems and often the Model S is doing most things better such as keeping the speed, centering in the lane, adjusting speed to the car infront... At least I know it beats a KIA from 2022...
I have a 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge with all their latest features. I agree their TACC is nearly useless. The lack of warnings is just the beginning… The upside is the automotive OTA updates. The downside, most don’t seem to do much. The pretty screen display of cameras is offset by absurdly inconsistent warnings of non-existent collisions and seeing parking obstructions that are far away.

To compare driver assist features between that and my 2021 Model S Plaid is to engage in sophistry of the worst sort.

I understand frustration with FSD. In comparison FSD is magical.

Stop it. There aren’t even plenty of vehicles with AP1 that exist. There certainly aren’t plenty of people.

The lies people tell themselves and others to support their POV continue to be hilariously ridiculous. What a refreshing change it would be if people just stuck to facts without inserting their own color. Alas, I won’t hold my breath.
Search this forum for "AP1", scroll through a bit. Yes, there are plenty of people who prefer the simpler functionality but lack of issues like phantom braking and other bad behaviour.

Hopefully v11, after over a year of being talked about, finally resolves some of these problems.

There are no Tesla-compatible AC chargers that charge at 100a. I think the J1772 standard tops off at a similar amperage.

Destination chargers charge peak at 48a (on a 60a breaker), and 11kw. So 48 hours for a full charge on a 500 kWh truck or almost 4 full days to recharge the 1000 kWh truck.

Still might be useful if you charge to 80% before parking then plug in to top off overnight I guess.
Tesla-compatible includes CCS, version depending on geography. Clipper Creek, Bosch and others market chargers capable of 80/90 amps at 240v, although not too common because very few, if any, BEV can handle A/C loss that high. However busses and trucks commonly can so they do exist in use for situations that have no DC access.

I do not suggest this is a good idea. It is used now in some cities for supplemental use in unusual situations, I am told. For reference:
Enel provides tge charging infrastructure:
Enel is the dominant EV charging solution for bus fleets. Virtually all their stations are DC with amperage varying depending of fleet schedules (municipal busses have long idle time, typically overnight) but they did allegedly install a few AC chargers with high amperage when building some early municipal networks which have been decommissioned as experience grew.

The BYD busses now deployed in many cities, US included, have DC charging designed to handle their entire active fleets overnight.

Tesla probably differs from those practices only in detail, not concept. Luckily for Tesla there is copious data available about large-scale commercial fleet charging.

Disclosure: Enel provided my free charger at my Rio de Janeiro house.

Stop it. There aren’t even plenty of vehicles with AP1 that exist. There certainly aren’t plenty of people.

The lies people tell themselves and others to support their POV continue to be hilariously ridiculous. What a refreshing change it would be if people just stuck to facts without inserting their own color. Alas, I won’t hold my breath.
Well, I happen to be one of those people he was referring to. FSDbeta is totally unusable on my car, and while it’s in the shop for a battery, they are going to get serious about finding out why. I used Autopilot on my 2016 constantly on the highway, but I have given up on it on my 2019.

Search this forum for "AP1", scroll through a bit. Yes, there are plenty of people who prefer the simpler functionality but lack of issues like phantom braking and other bad behaviour.

Hopefully v11, after over a year of being talked about, finally resolves some of these problems.
Search the dictionary for the meaning of ‘plenty’.

A ‘handful’ of people. A ‘few’ people. You could even say ‘some’ people. There are not ‘plenty’ of people.

Words matter as does context. ‘Some’ people of a very small group say such and such about V1. Those ‘some’ also tend to be the most vocal creating a false perception of ‘plenty’.

Yeah, hopefully V11 makes toast so people will shut up once and for all and go get on a different complaint bandwagon. Add some variety to their negativity.

Tesla-compatible includes CCS, version depending on geography. Clipper Creek, Bosch and others market chargers capable of 80/90 amps at 240v, although not too common because very few, if any, BEV can handle A/C loss that high. However busses and trucks commonly can so they do exist in use for situations that have no DC access.

I do not suggest this is a good idea. It is used now in some cities for supplemental use in unusual situations, I am told. For reference:
Enel provides tge charging infrastructure:
Enel is the dominant EV charging solution for bus fleets. Virtually all their stations are DC with amperage varying depending of fleet schedules (municipal busses have long idle time, typically overnight) but they did allegedly install a few AC chargers with high amperage when building some early municipal networks which have been decommissioned as experience grew.

The BYD busses now deployed in many cities, US included, have DC charging designed to handle their entire active fleets overnight.

Tesla probably differs from those practices only in detail, not concept. Luckily for Tesla there is copious data available about large-scale commercial fleet charging.

Disclosure: Enel provided my free charger at my Rio de Janeiro house.

On that note, do you know how vehicles are rotated between charging and parking at night? Is there a dedicated driver watching the states of charge or what?

Reactions: unk45
Well, I happen to be one of those people he was referring to. FSDbeta is totally unusable on my car, and while it’s in the shop for a battery, they are going to get serious about finding out why. I used Autopilot on my 2016 constantly on the highway, but I have given up on it on my 2019.
Right. So it’s not FSD that’s the issue. Something else is going on with your car. Glad that’s sorted.

Clearly I and others don’t have the issue since FSD Beta is entirely useful in our cars and always has been.

A little sus when Tesla wanted to charge the owner for the repairs, indicating it was tampered.
I'd bet good money it's just because of Tesla's odd system of quoting a repair price before the appointment even if it's warranty work. That creates so much confusion.
Where does it say fsd beta 11.3?
I just see software version 2022.45.10.

You have to dig into the main screen in the car to see your beta version. Also tracked on a few websites.

I also found his idea that some folk were conjecturing a second charge port feeding an on-board charger (an idea he dismissed) interesting in that I've not heard AC connections (using an onboard charger) discussed for semi, only HVDC.

Is an onboard charger even a thing for the SEMI, and if so what are it's specs?
The port on the Tesla Semi is a MCS, prototype v2, and the MCS spec does not support AC charging. You would have to have a second charge port for AC, which apparently the Semi doesn't have.

If it were to have AC charging, the only port type that would make sense is a Type 2, J3068, which supports three-phase AC. (This is the standard AC connector in most of the rest of the world.) I think this supports up to ~50kW. (63A three phase AC)

Last edited:
I'd bet good money it's just because of Tesla's odd system of quoting a repair price before the appointment even if it's warranty work. That creates so much confusion.

You have to dig into the main screen in the car to see your beta version. Also tracked on a few websites.
There was quite a bit of drama about the one particular incident on social media.

I believe the NHTSA received one complaint about the steering wheel detachment, and then Tesla was aware of one other instance. Cars being delivered without a steering wheel retaining bolt might be low frequency, that's part of what a Preliminary Evaluation sets out to determine, but it's an extremely high-risk defect.

Imagine the criticism that would be levied at the NHTSA from the other side of the fence if they knew about this, did nothing, and it happened again but resulted in a bad accident and injuries or a fatality. The NHTSA relies heavily on complaint submissions, tends to be reactionary, but then wants to address problems before they lead to more instances.

Last edited:
I have a 2022 Volvo XC40 Recharge with all their latest features. I agree their TACC is nearly useless. The lack of warnings is just the beginning… The upside is the automotive OTA updates. The downside, most don’t seem to do much. The pretty screen display of cameras is offset by absurdly inconsistent warnings of non-existent collisions and seeing parking obstructions that are far away.

To compare driver assist features between that and my 2021 Model S Plaid is to engage in sophistry of the worst sort.

I understand frustration with FSD. In comparison FSD is magical.
You all are the best thing that ever happened to my vocabulary.

In fact, if anything FSD Beta might be improving average road safety already, though we can't determine for sure with this simple comparison because we don't have enough information to know if there's a bias towards FSD Beta being used in safer situations where human driving would also tend to have lower-than-average accident rates.
I'm confident that this is the case, at least for now. The hard core Beta testers treat it like a job, the casual testers like myself are very aware of the limitations and pay closer attention than if we were driving on our own. I think it only get's a little dicey when it's good enough to drop your guard, but not quite perfect.

Right. So it’s not FSD that’s the issue. Something else is going on with your car. Glad that’s sorted.

Clearly I and others don’t have the issue since FSD Beta is entirely useful in our cars and always has been.
At this point Tesla service doesn’t know if software or hardware. Or both. It is established that there is car to car variation in the performance of FSD. Mine has been wiped and reinstalled 3 times. Cameras, computer, etc check normal. I think they’re going after it the old fashioned way—throw parts at it.

I'm confident that this is the case, at least for now. The hard core Beta testers treat it like a job, the casual testers like myself are very aware of the limitations and pay closer attention than if we were driving on our own. I think it only get's a little dicey when it's good enough to drop your guard, but not quite perfect.
And even then, it’s not likely to be worse than a human.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Trying to use the negative sentiment to STO 10 x p165 3/17 for $2.00, but no luck yet.

Looks like the powers that be are protecting $180 for some reason...

1678288350601.png