Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it. Peter Thiel starts the run on SVB and then has pal Elon Musk might buy SVB? Aside from the first part, does Elon need another bad investment? He hasn't finished with Twitter.
How did Thiel start it?

p.s. I hope everything everywhere etc etc wins all the awards. Hell of a movie.

How did Thiel start it?

He sort of publicly called out SVB as having liquidity issues which caused the run on the bank. The irony is that he’s closely related to SVB as a seed investor in the Silicon Valley.

Curious to see if he was positioned for any sort of financial gain as a result of the SVB failure.

He sort of publicly called out SVB as having liquidity issues which caused the run on the bank. The irony is that he’s closely related to SVB as a seed investor in the Silicon Valley.

Curious to see if he was positioned for any sort of financial gain as a result of the SVB failure.
His fund withdrew all of its money from SVB.

Last year’s Growth may be more an artifact of an all new 2022 model and low sales of the outgoing model in its last year. Look at the overall volumes. The Sales may ebb and flow but there is no doubt that after 20 years, The tundra has not moved the moved the numbers to be a legit competitor to Detroit in the full size pickup market. They are doing about 100,000 compared to Ford’s 500k

Everything about Detroit remaining relevant in the future depends upon how well they can pivot to electrification. Granted, they are doing better than Toyota there, but how do you feel they stack up against Tesla?

A conservative estimate of CT reservations may account for sales of at least the first 500K vehicles off the production line. (less than half the estimated reservation count)

If they sell 50K by the end of 2024 and achieve a run rate to support only 75K/year going into 2025, would that make the CT a legit competitor to Detroit in the pickup space? Keeping in mind how, based on the conservative estimate, reservations alone will take delivery of every CT they can build at a rate of 75K/yr through 2029 without any new customers leaving ICE.

This is presuming upon the absurd notion that Tesla does not ever ramp CT production beyond 75K per year and produces at that rate for 5 years. This, after ramping for 2 years would only be 1500/wk of a vehicle and production line that were engineered to make CT cheap and easy to build.

On the other hand, if CT ramps production on par with the Model Y in Texas and achieves, say, a run rate of 4000/wk after over a year in production that will be knocking on Detroit's door as ICE sales continue the decline. If Detroit cannot ramp their EV replacements for their pickups to their current production rate for many years yet, who will be in the cat-bird seat?

I agree with you, it won't be Toyota, but it might very well begin with a "T"

Everything about Detroit remaining relevant in the future depends upon how well they can pivot to electrification. Granted, they are doing better than Toyota there, but how do you feel they stack up against Tesla?

A conservative estimate of CT reservations may account for sales of at least the first 500K vehicles off the production line. (less than half the estimated reservation count)

If they sell 50K by the end of 2024 and achieve a run rate to support only 75K/year going into 2025, would that make the CT a legit competitor to Detroit in the pickup space? Keeping in mind how, based on the conservative estimate, reservations alone will take delivery of every CT they can build at a rate of 75K/yr through 2029 without any new customers leaving ICE.

This is presuming upon the absurd notion that Tesla does not ever ramp CT production beyond 75K per year and produces at that rate for 5 years. This, after ramping for 2 years would only be 1500/wk of a vehicle and production line that were engineered to make CT cheap and easy to build.

On the other hand, if CT ramps production on par with the Model Y in Texas and achieves, say, a run rate of 4000/wk after over a year in production that will be knocking on Detroit's door as ICE sales continue the decline. If Detroit cannot ramp their EV replacements for their pickups to their current production rate for many years yet, who will be in the cat-bird seat?

I agree with you, it won't be Toyota, but it might very well begin with a "T"
We can see from Investor Day Tesla estimates the total fleet size for 3+Y at 380 Million, and CT + Van at 300 Million.

We don't know the split between CT & Van, but Austin CT production similar to Austin Model Y production, or at least Fremont Model 3 production seems reasonable,

What will sell CT is the specs, what the CT can do, how practical, long lasting, reliable and efficient CT is in the work space.

There is a dedicated team working on accessories for the CT, and may of these are probably in the off-road / camping space, we know the off-road specs are great.

Sometimes the specs, accessories and economics sell a vehicle as do early buyers of the vehicle who sell it to others, Including businesses who decide to adopt it as a fleet vehicle.

There was a time when a concreate company in Sydney with drab grey trucks, got a lot more business and turned their business around by painting all of their concrete trucks pink. Sometimes standing out the crowd is handy for a business.

So IMO lots of reasons to buy a CT.

We might even find out tomorrow morning if there will be a rate pause:

Joint Statement by Treasury, Federal Reserve, and FDIC | federalreserve.gov (3 hrs ago)

Wall Street likes it so far...
Screenshot_20230313_010647_Chrome.jpg

I agree Artful Dodger. unk45 - what would be the problem with enforcing a rule/law that requires ALL bonds evaluated on a mark-to-market basis for banks? Not just available for sale bonds. Would that encourage banks to manage interest rate risk better or would it be a disaster when the FED can so quickly change the interest rate landscape?

I think in the case of SVB the fatal condition was the unhedged long bonds in a rising interest rate environment (thanks, @unk45). The reason that SVB was able to have such a disasterous position is simply that their business was not quite big enough to be required to undergo the annual "stress-testing" that we've all been hearing about since the 2009 bank bail-out.

The solution is obvious, once you've identified the problem: lower the threshold at which banks become "big". I think there should also be some consideration as to the type of assets they're holding IE: those unhedged bonds. I heard SVB has a few other highly dubious policies for it's accounts, one being that customers were required to do >85% of their banking business with SVB. Now there's RED Flag.

The FED is partly to blame for this (sinking the banks equity in 10-yr bonds due to the pace of rate hikes), but so is the unsupervised risk-taking at what actually turned out to be a large bank. Peter Thiel banging his drum initiated the run on bank deposits, I hope he burns for his actions (what he did is equivalent to yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre; there must be a law against ).

How did short selling accelerate the collapse of SIVB (the quitity traded on Wall St)? Well, as @Papafox told us in the week before Investor Day Tesla had >64% short selling all week. I day before the SIVB stopped trading their shares ↓ 50%, they had just 67% Short volume.

This, more than anything, tells us all how much opposition there is to Tesla's success. Too bad Elon paid off all Tesla's debt, and the growth of the business now self-funded out of FCF wot? ;)

Cheers!

Unfortunately, I cannot qualify for the tax break, so will probably just wait things out for quite a while.

You might consider a lease. If I understand the IRA loopholes correctly, the lease company get the $7,500 tax break nomatter your income bracket, and they should then pass the savings on to you in the lease rate.

I don't get it. Peter Thiel starts the run on SVB and then has pal Elon Musk might buy SVB? Aside from the first part, does Elon need another bad investment? He hasn't finished with Twitter.
The current conspiracy theory is Thiel started the run to force Feds to stop raising interest rate and start QE again.

I don't think anyone is taking Elon's tweet about buying SVB seriously.

It's a Electrek-article, but...

Tesla is hiring more staff to start CT production.

"With production start being just a few months away, Tesla has recently posted dozens of new job openings linked to Cybertruck production."

How did Thiel start it?

Agree - the Peter Thiel blaming is a bit too suspicious and too convenient to me given some information around this event that others are reporting:

Its OK to say it out loud - The 50,000 foot view of macro events is a complete train wreck - debt ceiling limit discussions at astronomical levels we continue to try to print our way out of while pouring enough money to start fixing it into furthering our military and political commitments abroad, etc. We do ourselves a disservice on TMC to significantly limit macro discussions because of ‘politics’ IMO, as all of these events are clearly impacting our investments while we are being told ‘all is well.’ These problems have been escalating through multiple administrations over many decades so this post is not intended to favor either side of the aisle - only to point out that there were FAR bigger catalysts influencing the TSLA share price collapse from pre-split 1,200 to the levels we saw in December/January than simply ‘Elon selling stock’ and ‘Elon buying Twitter’. But when we shield ourselves from the larger, more uncomfortable discussions, those kind of over-simplified and unrealistic explanations are where we end up. And that leaves us over-exposed to risk elsewhere in our lives because we looked for the comfortable place to be first. There isn’t anything comfortable about this picture:

It is a good idea to Think Globally IMO, but the rest of that good ol’ saying was Act Locally. And talking about doing that doesn’t instantly make you a full-tilt MAGA enthusiast. There will of course be some folks going to the banks today despite Yelen saying all is well. That is just human nature. I wouldn’t be surprised if WS and the MM’s step in to give us slightly positive day(s) at their expense to artificially signal ‘all is well’ to avoid bigger losses later. And while Elon was getting bashed for selling and for buying Twitter, he was warning us this day of reckoning was coming. And the share price fell while we were limited in our discussions here of this outcome because Elon was sharing those thoughts on Twitter, and those thoughts were contrary to the ‘all is well’ story on the MSM all along. And yet we have arrived at the place Elon told us was possible. Ouch.

Be wary of rose colored glasses and overly minimized discussions. There are more bumps in the road ahead, and filling them full of newly printed money isn’t going to help. And not talking about it is only going to allow it to get worse. We agree TSLA should be much higher than its current price. And we agree that Investor Day substantiated that AND paved a path for a more accelerated trajectory to an even higher valuation. It is not TSLA that has tethered its share price to the launch pad. And it’s not all the stupid FUD articles that miraculously appear as needed for MM’s and Max Pain. And it’s not anything said by any analysts or the MSM. Macro and Macro-alone has tethered TSLA to the launch pad IMO. So be cautious trading around fundamentals and TA, etc, and thinking that MM’s are ‘just filling the Gap’. And be cautious outside of TSLA too. In the meantime, HODLing TSLA as our primary investment with Tesla/Elon as the Bellwether will continue to work for me given their ability to Think AND Act Globally while Thinking AND Acting locally - and then execute successfully at both levels at a pace that has no equal. (not an advice).

Last edited:
My point was more that Elon likes to exaggerate and really can't be trusted when it comes to talking about the financial condition of his companies. For instance, I don't believe a word he says about his bird company -- state of advertising, financial condition, prospects, etc.

From what I can tell, Tesla may very well have ended up in bankruptcy in those very early days if not for good luck and Elon's steadfast financial support. No doubt Elon took big risks back then.
What financial status exaggeration do you have evidence for?

Wow. Even if Lucid had positive gross margins, I don’t think the cost of that commercial would ever pay itself back in enough sales. What is it about “cost cutting” and “positive margins” that is so hard to understand?

Ah well, it could just be that I’m not as smart as Mr. Rawlinson. I know he’s smart because he acts like he is. /s
And don't forget that crisp accent.

Actually a UK & Pakistan bank. I know it had some branches in India too, just like many other countries.

Not really. The wiki misses the point. It was a creature of the former head of the State Bank of Pakistan, created as a UAE funded, UK, Pakistan, Swiss, UAE based conglomerate of many subsidiaries. India was relevant only in a post-partition sense. Bank of America, NT & SA took a stake driven in large part by the Pakistan-linked leadership at the time.

PM for details if anybody wants the ancient details.

• Informative
Reactions: EVNow and wtlloyd
Actually a UK & Pakistan bank. I know it had some branches in India too, just like many other countries.

The UK & India reference was to Silicon Valley Bant. The BCCI reference was to failure patterns and long ignored warnings and politically influential interested parties.
in a wired way that was an inside joke. Sorry…

Reactions: wtlloyd