Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's already being done more than ever before. over 400k new people per quarter advertises for Tesla. The reason why word of mouth works today is because EVs are new. People are curious enough to ask questions and want to genuinely try them out. An ad on TV spoon feed you some information but it's not nearly as effective as your neighbor telling you how great it is.

So when it comes to advertising, Tesla has never had so many people advertising EVs, FSDB, and the brand. How else can the car beat a corolla at 2x the ASP?

However whenever people start asking about the price, 50k or whatever just seems out of reach. And even with the tax credit, this is not provided up front. So people will scrutinize their monthly payments @ the 7500 dollar higher price as they budget for the year.

When it comes to ad, I agree with Elon that if anything the money is used to pay off MSM as their negative headlines can damage potential sales...this has more effect on Tesla sales than the actual ad.
How many of us have given test drives to complete strangers just to show off how great our Teslas are? Do the newer 3/Y owners do this as well?

How many of us have given test drives to complete strangers just to show off how great our Teslas are? Do the newer 3/Y owners do this as well?
Complete strangers has questions which happened multiple times when I owned the cars, but you show off FSDB or do test drives with friends and family. I don't have that many friends or family, but at least 10 friends/family members have sat in my car who had questions and saw FSDB in action over the course of 3 years I had the car. Multiply that by 400k/quarter and we are now talking about millions of people who are sitting in Tesla.

Back in 2017, barely anyone sat in a Tesla because delivery numbers were small.

ref. @Tommy O (I hate it when forced to come out of retirement...)

But - he spends so much time with @unk45 that perhaps he's becoming brasilianised:

Uauá.png

Tesla Advances Plans for Drive-in Movie Theatre Diner as More Building Permits Now Submitted​

"The proposed project will include the construction of a restaurant/diner with two levels:
  • approximately 3,800 square feet enclosed lower level and a 5,500 square feet outdoor seating and enclosed food preparation area;
  • electric vehicle charging station which will have 34 spaces with chargers, 29 of the 34 charging stations will be Superchargers and the remaining 5 will be Level 2 chargers."

TLDR: The Tesla drive in / supercharger restaurant moves closer to fruition.
"But remember to keep your windows open...when your motor is running"

Reactions: AZRI11 and madodel
Automated telephone switching is instantaneous and works perfectly. With self-checkout, the process takes MORE time and is way more error prone. They have 'improved' the bottom-line for the seller, while making the product, from the customer POV, much worse. This is why its unpopular.
Self checkout has not been any amazing tech breakthrough. Its just conditioned the customer to do some minimum-wage labour every time they visit the store. I swear they will try and get us to unload the trucks soon...
People like different things. I much prefer never having to interact with checkout people. I choose self-checkout every time. Given a choice, I'll use a store that has self-checkout rather than one which doesn't. So is there anything relevant about this discussion other than indicating the obvious?

My favorite time (of the hundreds of drives I've given), was in my Model S at an EV event. The guy said he was over 90yo, and he used to race. He had a great time. One of the very few that when I told him to stop the car and then punch it, he actually did so, and whooped at the result!

I suspect he went right out and bought one.

My two favorite things about owning a Tesla: letting newbies drive my car; and getting software updates that made my old car new again.

Giga Mexico Hiring begins:

TLDR: "Tesla Giga Mexico will be built and put into operation in record time. The new factory will provide 35,000 direct and indirect jobs in the region. In fact, the company has already begun recruiting for its construction."

It is Sunday so I'll pop this here as well as on the shipping thread

(Tesla Cargo Ship)

===========================

I just pulled out some of my previous calculations and refreshed some of the sums a bit. For those who are unaware a useful acronym is a 'teu' which is a typical twenty foot container (twenty foot equivalent unit) and that is a unit that is used in a lot of logistics calculations irrespective of whether rail, road, or sea.

I used an Emma Maersk E class vessel (approx 14,700 teu) rather than one of the newer EEE class (18,000 teu) since I had previously run the numbers for the E.

Firstly let's just put the solar container vessel to bed shall we, at least for long distance commercial cargo carrying via transoceranic routes. An E class has an 81MW main engine, or 100MW of total generation capacity if you counnt the other auxiliary engines. I think the actual shaft power at economic voage speeds (18kts) is approx 40MW. The full 100 MW will be to run ship services and attain the 25kts max speed. Anyway in contrast If you carpet a Emma Maersk with solar over the full oblong of the vessel from stem to stern, you can get a peak power of 5MW at 1,000 W/m2 insolation and 25% efficiency. Clearly flat solar won't achieve 25%, but in any case one can't get 1,000W/m2 for the whole 24h/d x 365d/yr and realworld capacity factors are more like 14%, yielding an annual average of 0.8MW continuous (24h/d), which is 2% of the 40MW required for economic cruising.

On the required battery to do a transoceanic run numbers are beginning to become more hopeful, so I withdraw some of my previous remarks. A useful typical voyage is Rotterdam (EU) to Norfolk (USA) which is 6,283 km long. It is neither the longest such voyage nor the shortest, but it is a good typical one. At economic speeds (i.e. 40MW) this takes 190 hours (8 days), and is 7,111 MWh of voyage energy (excluding auxiliaries). We must be careful to use realworld battery densities / volumes including all the physical space for install, coling, maintenance, cabling, etc. The latest Tesla Megapacks are 3.9 MWh of LFP each and are a fully stuffed volume of 42m3 each, and in contrast a standard twenty foot container is 38m3 volume. So for practical purposes we can use 3.9MW/teu as a representative volume for sketching out the required amount of the vessel.

Here is a typical picture of one of these container vessels

1681029783850.png

View attachment 926516

Which can be simplified to this drawing, which shows very crudely where stuff goes.

1681029807408.png

View attachment 926518

By inspection of photos we can observe that approximately one third of the containers are deck cargo, and two thirds internal hold cargo and we know that there are just under 15,000 in total.

Returning to the battery volume required for the 7.1 GWh of battery we get 1,800 teu of battery assuming 100% efficient energy delivery and running down from 100% to 0% in SoC terms for Rotterdam-Norfolk. This translates to 12% of the equivalent cargo volume which would result in approximately the following space allocation if it were to be done. So we can see that from a naval architecture perspective these things are beginning to seem achievable.

1681029764460.png

View attachment 926524

I previously did some calculations for the Asia-Europe run and figured out that there approximately 100 of these vessels serving that route on about 19 days Shanghai to Hamburg using the fast steaming speed ogf 24 kts. The route really takes a month as there are several port stops at both ends. So there are about 2 movements/day of such a vessel at either terminal port (50 vessels in each direction, one month in one direction) and that in turn gives an insght into the energy requirements to recharge these batteries at the terminal ports. In other words 7GWh recharge in 24h for one vessel, or 14GWh supply to cater for two vessels - and that is just the Asia-Europe liner service. That concerts to 0.3 GW feed per vessel. So assume a very large seabord terminal port (such as Rotterdam, Hamburg, etc) is working half a dozen such vessels each day to servivce all the various liner runs (Asia, USA, LatAm, etc) that would be about a steady 1-2GW supply for the port, which is of the order of magnitude that makes sense. The shore power cables are going to require cooling mind you, but we are just as careful with other ship/shore connections so that is not unrerasonable.

So overall from a shipbuilding perspective, a fleet replacement persective, a port handling perspective, and overall economics perspective it does after all become tantalisingly possible.

Mind you, the sums for intercontinental rail look equally competitive.

So overall my personal suspicion becomes that methanol and ammonia fuels for shipping purposes are going to be very limited bridge-fuel transitions/distractions, and probably won't be needed at all. Which knocks yet another crutch out from the hydrogen economy arguments.

Last edited:
Automated telephone switching is instantaneous and works perfectly. With self-checkout, the process takes MORE time and is way more error prone. They have 'improved' the bottom-line for the seller, while making the product, from the customer POV, much worse. This is why its unpopular.
Self checkout has not been any amazing tech breakthrough. Its just conditioned the customer to do some minimum-wage labour every time they visit the store. I swear they will try and get us to unload the trucks soon...
The new self check-out process at some of Amazon food stores is amazing: scan your credit card, walk into the store, pick up the items you want and walk out, that's it. I even tested putting back some items and they were not charged as expected. Now this is exactly like automated telephone switching.

It is Sunday so I'll pop this here as well as on the shipping thread

(Tesla Cargo Ship)

===========================

I just pulled out some of my previous calculations and refreshed some of the sums a bit. For those who are unaware a useful acronym is a 'teu' which is a typical twenty foot container (twenty foot equivalent unit) and that is a unit that is used in a lot of logistics calculations irrespective of whether rail, road, or sea.

I used an Emma Maersk E class vessel (approx 14,700 teu) rather than one of the newer EEE class (18,000 teu) since I had previously run the numbers for the E.

Firstly let's just put the solar container vessel to bed shall we, at least for long distance commercial cargo carrying via transoceranic routes. An E class has an 81MW main engine, or 100MW of total generation capacity if you counnt the other auxiliary engines. I think the actual shaft power at economic voage speeds (18kts) is approx 40MW. The full 100 MW will be to run ship services and attain the 25kts max speed. Anyway in contrast If you carpet a Emma Maersk with solar over the full oblong of the vessel from stem to stern, you can get a peak power of 5MW at 1,000 W/m2 insolation and 25% efficiency. Clearly flat solar won't achieve 25%, but in any case one can't get 1,000W/m2 for the whole 24h/d x 365d/yr and realworld capacity factors are more like 14%, yielding an annual average of 0.8MW continuous (24h/d), which is 2% of the 40MW required for economic cruising.

On the required battery to do a transoceanic run numbers are beginning to become more hopeful, so I withdraw some of my previous remarks. A useful typical voyage is Rotterdam (EU) to Norfolk (USA) which is 6,283 km long. It is neither the longest such voyage nor the shortest, but it is a good typical one. At economic speeds (i.e. 40MW) this takes 190 hours (8 days), and is 7,111 MWh of voyage energy (excluding auxiliaries). We must be careful to use realworld battery densities / volumes including all the physical space for install, coling, maintenance, cabling, etc. The latest Tesla Megapacks are 3.9 MWh of LFP each and are a fully stuffed volume of 42m3 each, and in contrast a standard twenty foot container is 38m3 volume. So for practical purposes we can use 3.9MW/teu as a representative volume for sketching out the required amount of the vessel.

Here is a typical picture of one of these container vessels

View attachment 926531
View attachment 926516

Which can be simplified to this drawing, which shows very crudely where stuff goes.

View attachment 926532
View attachment 926518

By inspection of photos we can observe that approximately one third of the containers are deck cargo, and two thirds internal hold cargo and we know that there are just under 15,000 in total.

Returning to the battery volume required for the 7.1 GWh of battery we get 1,800 teu of battery assuming 100% efficient energy delivery and running down from 100% to 0% in SoC terms for Rotterdam-Norfolk. This translates to 12% of the equivalent cargo volume which would result in approximately the following space allocation if it were to be done. So we can see that from a naval architecture perspective these things are beginning to seem achievable.

View attachment 926530
View attachment 926524

I previously did some calculations for the Asia-Europe run and figured out that there approximately 100 of these vessels serving that route on about 19 days Shanghai to Hamburg using the fast steaming speed ogf 24 kts. The route really takes a month as there are several port stops at both ends. So there are about 2 movements/day of such a vessel at either terminal port (50 vessels in each direction, one month in one direction) and that in turn gives an insght into the energy requirements to recharge these batteries at the terminal ports. In other words 7GWh recharge in 24h for one vessel, or 14GWh supply to cater for two vessels - and that is just the Asia-Europe liner service. That concerts to 0.3 GW feed per vessel. So assume a very large seabord terminal port (such as Rotterdam, Hamburg, etc) is working half a dozen such vessels each day to servivce all the various liner runs (Asia, USA, LatAm, etc) that would be about a steady 1-2GW supply for the port, which is of the order of magnitude that makes sense. The shore power cables are going to require cooling mind you, but we are just as careful with other ship/shore connections so that is not unrerasonable.

So overall from a shipbuilding perspective, a fleet replacement persective, a port handling perspective, and overall economics perspective it does after all become tantalisingly possible.

Mind you, the sums for intercontinental rail look equally competitive.

So overall my personal suspicion becomes that methanol and ammonia fuels for shipping purposes are going to be very limited bridge-fuel transitions/distractions, and probably won't be needed at all. Which knocks yet another crutch out from the hydrogen economy arguments.
Since it is the weekend, I will reply here.

Wind is one option that is also being considered.

So a ship could be some kind of wind / battery / synthetic fuel hybrid, synthetic fuel could simply power a generator.

Battery power is most useful for motoring in and out of port. For a conventional yacht manoeuvring is easier under motor with the sails down. I assume that this extends to these modern wind powered ships.

The advantage of the hybrid approach is a lot less fuel is need if the route has reliable trade winds, which many shipping routes have.

With this approach they could pick the battery size that resulted in the best ROI.

Last edited:
Complete strangers has questions which happened multiple times when I owned the cars, but you show off FSDB or do test drives with friends and family. I don't have that many friends or family, but at least 10 friends/family members have sat in my car who had questions and saw FSDB in action over the course of 3 years I had the car. Multiply that by 400k/quarter and we are now talking about millions of people who are sitting in Tesla.

Back in 2017, barely anyone sat in a Tesla because delivery numbers were small.
Prior to COVID19 I use to take my X to environmental related events and car shows just to show as many people as possible what the future looks like. Got a lot of positive and negative feedback. But at least people got to see that EVs are real. Since there were so few in my area at the time that was all I expected. Now I can’t go anywhere here without seeing multiple Teslas and even a rare MachE or other EV.

Tesla to build new Megafactory in Shanghai to produce Megapack energy storage system - CnEVPost

"The Megafactory is planned to initially produce up to 10,000 units of commercial energy storage batteries per year, with an energy storage scale of nearly 40 GWh, and the product will be available to the global markets."

Folks, you need to be aware that the new CATL 80GWh/yr battery factory is nearing completion just 3 km South of Giga Shanghai. If 40 GWh/yr is allocated to Megapack production, and Shanghai also adds another plant to produce 1 million Model 2 cars each with a 40KWh pack, that's the entire annual CATL production allocation, delivered just up the road from this new battery plant:

CATL Shanghai.jpg

This new CATL factory could be operational as soon as July, based on Wu Wa's comments on staffing:

Let's do it again, do it again, in Texas and Germany! (Genehmigungen could take 7-10 years, but yeah!) ... :p

Cheers to the Longs!

Last edited:
My favorite time (of the hundreds of drives I've given), was in my Model S at an EV event. The guy said he was over 90yo, and he used to race. He had a great time. One of the very few that when I told him to stop the car and then punch it, he actually did so, and whooped at the result!

I suspect he went right out and bought one.

My two favorite things about owning a Tesla: letting newbies drive my car; and getting software updates that made my old car new again.
I remember it was like being a kid at Christmas when I got the update that added autopresenting doors to my Sig X. I just kept walking up to my car to have it magically open the door for me. Yes it got tiring later on when it did it every time I walked by it but that early enjoyment will never be forgotten. And further updates fixed the issue of opening in my garage. Teslas are amazing technology. I feel sorry for the haters. They are missing a lot by not driving the future today.

Last edited: