Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Don't like that chart:
Easy to misinterpret, my first thought was "No registrations of Tesla outside USA? This chart is wrong".
The title 'Worldwide BEV Sales by Region and Manufacturers' is misleading.
The flags do not show where the registrations were, but where the company originates.
The title should be 'Worldwide BEV Sales by Manufacturers' Origin'.

Don't like that chart:
Easy to misinterpret, my first thought was "No registrations of Tesla outside USA? This chart is wrong".
The title 'Worldwide BEV Sales by Region and Manufacturers' is misleading.
The flags do not show where the registrations were, but where the company originates.
The title should be 'Worldwide BEV Sales by Manufacturers' Origin'.
If you know even a little bit about the EV market, the chart isn’t confusing. Great chart.

Elon did, in fact, state that Tesla would go to zero gross margins, if necessary, to keep selling vehicles as fast as they are produced. He said this on a Twitter Spaces meeting prior to the earnings call. He did explain, for those that don't think mathematically, that this is a hypothetically limit and would only go that far if absolutely necessary.

Much Like people misunderstand Elon's comment that Tesla is worthless without FSD, people will misunderstand this and assume Elon intends to take gross margins to zero. He is speaking in limits of the ranges of possibilities because that is how he thinks.
Tesla mkt cap to exceed the combined mkt cap of Aramco and Apple with zero profit margins.
I detect an anomaly.

Great chart. Need two more. One with gross revenues and another with net profits. Sadly that data isn’t broken out for the BEV segments for most OEMs, but those would tell a much more interesting story, especially the net profits one.
While we’re asking for unobtainable numbers, throw in debt load, and battery cell supply availability. Tesla has a lot of advantages.

Nope. Most of us don't want some bumbling kid at the local "inspection office" messing with our cars, and making up unnecessary repairs. I grew up in a backwards, regressive state that had them (NY). Went in for an inspection and was told I needed my brakes replaced. My comment-"that's funny, I just replaced them last weekend"-shut that ripoff down right away. These places see forced customers as cash cows. And...you're whining about paying a tax to operate your vehicle on the highway, at a far lower rate than most ICE drivers, who pay both state AND FEDERAL gas tax-the federal tax typically disbursed back to the states. Yet you have no compunction about forcing people to pay a draconian "vehicle inspection tax", that lines the pockets of owners of inspection centers. Now, concerning federal gas tax disbursement to the states-since states with high EV usage pay less per driver in terms of federal fuel tax-shouldn't they see less return as well?
One solution, common in some countries is to have the inspection done by a government operated center. That, IME, works well sometimes, albeit irritating. The private licensed places I have been have always said something is wrong to be fixed by them.

Still, although inspections can be gamed they generally do help have better maintained vehicles than none at all. One fo my present residences is in a jurisdiction that had state-run inspections until four years ago, and now have none. The difference in the condition fo older vehicles is clearly and obviously worse now. Many factors, I know, including a pandemic.

BEV inspections become a slightly different issue. No emissions test, for one thing.

thoughts on this solution? Tapping the massive fresh water resource of above ocean vapour which has remained so far untouched? Video linked included discussion of a recently publish research project confirming the validity at various Locations around the world. Requires far less energy than desalination of salt water.

Read Casey handmers blog

Fu5QPEBXwAQ1IsU

Clearly from the chart the worldwide leader in EVs is ..... GM !

One solution, common in some countries is to have the inspection done by a government operated center. That, IME, works well sometimes, albeit irritating. The private licensed places I have been have always said something is wrong to be fixed by them.

Still, although inspections can be gamed they generally do help have better maintained vehicles than none at all. One fo my present residences is in a jurisdiction that had state-run inspections until four years ago, and now have none. The difference in the condition fo older vehicles is clearly and obviously worse now. Many factors, I know, including a pandemic.

BEV inspections become a slightly different issue. No emissions test, for one thing.
I recall getting a government inspection in BC. They failed the car, took it back the next day, it passed, no changes to the car.

thoughts on this solution? Tapping the massive fresh water resource of above ocean vapour which has remained so far untouched? Video linked included discussion of a recently publish research project confirming the validity at various Locations around the world. Requires far less energy than desalination of salt water.

Dehumidification as a water source has been used for a very long time. It does require energy but also is used to reduce corrosion and mildew. I've used that to make potable water on an island I owned, powered by solar panels I installed. Back then it was very expensive but far cheaper than hauling diesel fuel from the nearest source, about 25 miles away. FWIW, back then we used giant 2V AT&T lead-acid cells that lasted forever, we bought them after AT&T adopted different technologies for their remote stations.

That is why island solar power became common long before 'mainland' locations.
Tesla energy solutions, and others, are vastly easier to deploy today than they were back in 1990. Tesla has made quite successful island deployments, and remote area deployments have been done for many years. Thus far those have not been major factors in Tesla growth, but now that prices are cheaper the cost of importing fossil fuel makes places like Hawaii and every such island nation without coal or oil an absolutely obvious market.
In aggregate those places are ideal ones for BEV too, mostly small and short range ones. IIRC Hawaii was one of the few places where S40 and S60 were the preferred choice. In Indonesia, all the Pacific Island countries and much of the rest of the world Tesla can quickly serve the markets with few Superchargers. Iceland is completely served with seven.

The list goes on, and with small BEV some tourist intensive islands are already becoming BEV intensive and all are good candidates. When (if) FSD actually happens those places can be transformed. I note there is not much discussion here about the market combination of solar+storage+BEV/FSD.

Last edited:
However, I am quite confused why posts about FSD, a product the company has been selling historically and become well-known for / sells now / talks about as a key driver for the future of the company, are consistently moved out of here,
Some topics are considered "controversial" and thus given their own threads in the past because of large number of posts on that. Once that happens, however important the topic might be, they want people to use those threads instead of the main thread. So we have things like Covid, Twitter, Ads, FSD banished from this thread.

I think w.r.t. FSD - it is no longer all that controversial. There is a near consensus on how close FSD is to robotaxi among FSD beta users in this forum ....

FSD is controversial but might be the most important thing for investors, at least if Elon’s comments are to be taken at face value and projections from ARK are to be believed. Elon says in no uncertain terms that autonomy goes hand in hand with electrification in success here, reiterated in the latest earnings call, and he commented not long ago that autonomy could be the driver of legitimately all of Tesla’s value.

ARK’s future profit projections and valuations hinge entirely on high-margin autonomy revenue and the year when Robotaxis are actually launched.

Guys, i done know what to do. My average price is 297/share. I have 3200 shares of TSLA...

for now i am just selling OTM covered calls but im just stuck holding on to my losses

any advice or suggestions?
You can’t go to a forum and ask for valid individual financial advice. The answer depends on your personal situation. What are your sources of income, what expenses do you have? How old are you? How many dependents? Etc.

And no, this forum is not meant for dispensing such advice.