Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Panasonic gets the IRA incentives of $35/kWh for Giga Nevada cell production, not Tesla (Tesla will likely get the $10/kWh for battery pack integration though):
Panasonic slide deck may indicate flow through to Tesla:
Taking into consideration the aim of US IRA, which is to reduce excessive inflation and promote energy policies in the US, we believe we should use the credit for the purpose of further promotion of EVs in North America.

In addition to investing in our US EV battery business, we are also considering a way to effectively use the credit with our customers to strengthen and expand our business in North America. Therefore, for FY3/24, 80.0 billion yen, approximately half of the total tax credit amount, is factored into adjusted OP in Energy segment.

In addition, we are assuming the amount effectively used with customers will be applicable for deferred tax accounting.
Therefore, 20.0 billion yen is expected to be recorded in deferred tax assets.
As a result, the impact of the IRA on net profit is expected at a total of 100.0 billion yen in FY3/24

My suggestions:-
  • Move all Model Ys to front and rear castings with 4680 battery packs.
  • Move to a simplified wiring harness and a 48V architecture
  • Use new motors free of rare earths, or with fewer rare earths.
  • Try to reduce parts and further simplify where possible.
  • Investigate cast aluminium motors:- Investor Engineering Discussions
  • Remove stalks on steering wheels.
Any weight savings and efficiency gains are used to reduce the pack size.

This doesn't get them to the low-mid $30k range, but prospective buyers need to consider TCO, factoring in fuel and maintenance savings.

The best cost savings maintain parity with existing features and specs, or don't trade away anything important.

With seats mounted on the battery pack it is no longer necessary to have a glass roof fitted after the seats are installed, so a metal roof as part of the body and painted when the body is painted is now possible. Based on what we know so far, Tesla isn't moving in that direction.

My personal opinion is that frameless glass windows are an extra layer of expense that could be removed.

The stereo systems could also be downgraded if that saved some significant money.
Ummm............................NO!

Apropos of nothing, my thought for how Elon can spend his newfound free time:
Sleeping at the GigaTexas 4680 line until 4680 + full DBE is high reliability and high throughput.
The low cost, low embedded energy, fewer connections needed, fast to produce 4680 will dominate the landscape no matter what product they wrap it in.
Everything else will follow.
IMHO of course.

Yes, at least the Bucees-but neither are available now. And Q1 '23 has come and gone-the one in Alcoa (where the Knoxville Airport is) doesn't show up on the Tesla SC map. Both are still not well located for the areas I described (Kodak is the I-40 interchange that takes you to Gatlinburg) and Alcoa is a suburb of Knox. But certainly things are improving every year.
BUCCEES!!!!!!

Did notice the one in Temple Texas added like 40 supercharger stations along the perimeter of the property. What batter way to wait out the 30 minutes of charging buying a Buccees T-shirt, Chopped BBQ sandwich, caramel covered popcorn and use the 70 stall clean bathrooms. And buy an overpriced Go PRO camera.

BUCCEES!!!!!!

Did notice the one in Temple Texas added like 40 supercharger stations along the perimeter of the property. What batter way to wait out the 30 minutes of charging buying a Buccees T-shirt, Chopped BBQ sandwich, caramel covered popcorn and use the 70 stall clean bathrooms. And buy an overpriced Go PRO camera.
I think it is 48 charging stalls. Aiming to someday exceed the 70 bathroom stalls perhaps.

The court in Manhattan on Monday ruled against Musk’s free speech claims just days after a three-judge panel heard arguments in the case on Thursday.

Yeah, it really isn't an issue of free speech at all. There is no law that is to blame, this is a matter of contract.

Elon agreed to the terms of a contract. Part of being free is having the unalienable right to enter into agreements that restrict one's natural rights in some way. Live and learn.

The only way for a court to have cause to act would be to somehow demonstrate that the contract is unconscionable in order to be nullified. I don't think this is likely to happen with a well structured agreement that was entered into with full knowledge and good faith.

Yeah, it really isn't an issue of free speech at all. There is no law that is to blame, this is a matter of contract.

Elon agreed to the terms of a contract. Part of being free is having the unalienable right to enter into agreements that restrict one's natural rights in some way. Live and learn.

The only way for a court to have cause to act would be to somehow demonstrate that the contract is unconscionable in order to be nullified. I don't think this is likely to happen with a well structured agreement that was entered into with full knowledge and good faith.
Am I the only one that thinks this is a weird sideshow? I mean, can't we all acknowledge that he's basically ignoring the order already? I'm sure he's got some procedural silliness in place to trot out if the SEC claims he's failing to comply, so why not just let the charade continue in perpetuity? It was basically a sleeping dog, so why not let it lie there anther couple years? (And I agree that its a tough burden to overturn an agreement such as that reached previously.)