Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I was very surprised recently to learn that I too own more TSLA than either Gary Black or Ross Gerber. Like it dumbfounded me honestly. Why do they get invited to all these events and not me, I am a larger Tesla shareholder than either of them! :D
You guys have more than 440k shares? Wow!

“Mr Gerber’s firm held around 440,000 Tesla shares, or 0.01 per cent of the company, as of December 31, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.”

Looks like Tesla want to expand in Shanghai. Add some battery production.

WuWa is out with a new video from Shanghai. In the intro he writes;

This week's Shanghai plant update, there seems to be no new developments on the PV panels on the roof of the plant this week, as there was last week, is that all there is to it?

The new discovery this week is that the truck parking area to the west of the plant has been extended to the north and the container yard has doubled in size when viewed from the air.

The hot topic of conversation this week is that Tesla has once again proposed an expansion of its Shanghai plant, and Chinese online media are reporting on it. The news outlet cites Reuters as saying that Tesla has filed an application with the authorities to expand the Shanghai plant and add a small battery production line.

The plant expansion project would increase Giga Shanghai's capacity from 1.25 million powertrains to 1.75 million powertrains per year. And battery filings show that Tesla also plans to begin producing its own soft pack batteries on site. The battery line filing describes it as a smaller pilot line capable of producing 20,000 amp-hour batteries per year.

About the factory expansion has been proposed as early as two years ago, we have been tracking the location of the expansion, but now again, we still do not know the exact location of the expansion project, once mentioned the land is still vacant or built other facilities, it is not clear whether this time Tesla and the local government to negotiate a good agreement? Also the energy storage plant is about to start construction, who knows where it will be built? Can you tell us?

Elon Musk ‘can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas’: Democrats and Republicans agree AM should go in EVs​

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and other U.S. lawmakers have rolled out a bill this week that would require car companies to have AM radio in their new vehicles, as the lawmakers aim to end the growing trend of electric vehicles getting made without that feature.
What Cruz et al and many of us may not know is that Tesla already has access to thousands of local AM stations from Argentina to Zambia, including ones local to Cruz and Markey local stations via Tunein. No interference either.

It's about signal reception, not stations to play. AM radio can be picked up most every where. Cellular deserts exist where you can't get any signal. Maybe he should just come up with a miniature starlink just for Tesla to receive streaming AM everywhere. Then sell it to all the other manufacturers.
As otherwise posted it’s already in Tesla’s Tunein.

Yeah, I was very surprised recently to learn that I too own more TSLA than either Gary Black or Ross Gerber. Like it dumbfounded me honestly. Why do they get invited to all these events and not me, I am a larger Tesla shareholder than either of them! :D
Easy. You dont dare to show up your stupid face on socialmedia platform and scream and shout and make you look like you know soemthing others dont but still know less than the average tmc reader.

I am quite perplexed about that. I, Tesla driver since 2012 and investor since 2013 with more shares than either of those have never been invited to any Tesla event, ever. So sad, all I have is all those shares, split and so very volatile, still with periodic steller rises that keep capital gains a potential issue, if I ever sell.

Neither Black nor Gerber act like HODL, but we do. I guess that’s why verbose bloggers and institutional types always are invited. They all love advertising, it’s good for their wallets even if bad for Tesla’s.

What Cruz et al and many of us may not know is that Tesla already has access to thousands of local AM stations from Argentina to Zambia, including ones local to Cruz and Markey local stations via Tunein. No interference either.

That's great as long as your local cell towers have power.

Markey is at least concerned about communication in emergencies.

Some of the others are just being ridiculous.

My investment strategy is simple. Buy all the TSLA that I can comfortably, and by 2025 Elon will make me whole *.
I have few worries since Elon is on board with this plan. **

* I am already more than made whole
** It is inconceivable that Elon is not actually on board with this plan ;)
Great strategy. And the best part is that it is yours. And you own it proudly. I might submit that if you are that motivated though, you might consider TSLL which accumulates exactly at 1.5X TSLA. That way you could be whole and a half by 2025. o_O

Those ETFs are relatively new. Don't Gary & Ross have other private funds with substantially more TSLA?

It boggles my mind how many people lease......it just goes to show how easily people are suckered into being monthly payment shoppers with no awareness of actual total cost.

FWIW leasing lets people access the $7500 IRA EV credit even if they otherwise would not qualify, so you're going to see a ton more of it now and for reasons that make objective financial sense.

(that said, last I knew Tesla first party leases don't pass along the credit as many other OEMs do- so this'll more be relevant for the Hyundais of the world than for Tesla unless some clever 3rd party lease company notices the opportunity presented by this)

FWIW leasing lets people access the $7500 IRA EV credit even if they otherwise would not qualify, so you're going to see a ton more of it now and for reasons that make objective financial sense.

(that said, last I knew Tesla first party leases don't pass along the credit as many other OEMs do- so this'll more be relevant for the Hyundais of the world than for Tesla unless some clever 3rd party lease company notices the opportunity presented by this)
I have a few friends who are business owners, and they all prefer leases. I believe it’s a tax accounting issue; it allows them to write off the entire cost of the vehicle as a business expense, while always having a relatively new vehicle.

It boggles my mind how many people lease......it just goes to show how easily people are suckered into being monthly payment shoppers with no awareness of actual total cost. Renting a car for three years and walking away with zero....I mean it's no wonder car companies offer leases....it's the most expensive way for consumers to drive cars and the most profitable way to get suckers renters into them. Then again, people rent furniture too so there's that...
used car prices had some anomalies the last years.
when I bought the VW eGolf in 2015, and sold it in 2018 for half of what I bought it for, trading up to Tesla model3, the lease would have been cheaper ownership.

And even now for the 2018 LR M3 that I paid $60k for, KBB prices at $33k private party value, which means roughly equivalent to me leasing it for $500/month. Not planning to sell it any time soon though, and if Elon's largest asset appreciation ever event takes place, maybe it will still roll

That's great as long as your local cell towers have power.

Markey is at least concerned about communication in emergencies.

Some of the others are just being ridiculous.
I suspect this is correct. And while I may not agree with the legal mandate for what is an "entertainment option" that some local governments have chosen to assume would be a universal communications channel, the suggestions of using a streaming app for AM stations as an alternative isn't really scalable.

There are probably 1000's of small local areas that may broadcast emergency info on local stations. Expecting all of them to participate in "TuneIn" probably isn't realistic.

It probably makes more sense to simply move those services to use something like the Amber Alert system to smart phones, but the cellular dessert issue exists there. Perhaps Starlink cellular service will make a universal emergency communications system for the digital age possible in the future.

You are absolutely right. They all seem to use "CLICK BAIT" now. But he does give a pretty measured and generally accurate assessment, explaining his logic and apologizing for his missteps.

Hey, if you have thick skin and are ready for the true explosion, Try TSLL, a TSLA multiplier that increases at 1.5X that of TSLA. It is not for the faint of heart especially in this vacillating market, because it ALSO falls at 1.5X. WARNING: It is for the more experienced trader and don't let it sit unattended. I threw a little in this morning and didn't catch it before the downturn and lost a few bucks, but since the afternoon upturn I have bought some back. Playtime.
I just checked out TSLL and it appears to have an expense ratio of 1.08%! It would be a lot cheaper to use options if you want some leverage.

It boggles my mind how many people lease......it just goes to show how easily people are suckered into being monthly payment shoppers with no awareness of actual total cost. Renting a car for three years and walking away with zero....I mean it's no wonder car companies offer leases....it's the most expensive way for consumers to drive cars and the most profitable way to get suckers renters into them. Then again, people rent furniture too so there's that...
When you are allowed to buy the car at the end of the lease you keep the equity. That is the whole argument, as been explained, Tesla keeps the equity. To be fair, Ford is not allowing you to keep their EV either. Why, I do not know, though you will loose money on a Ford lease.

You asked why do people lease, the same reason that Tesla is dropping prices on its vehicles, its what people can afford. I have leased for the past 12 years, and made money on every one. Dumb me.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bionic and bkp_duke
I’m not surprised.

People “rent” (access to) energy from birth to death without blinking an eye.

Why would they act differently with a car?

I say yet again, if a company doesn’t provide a service or product to your liking don’t get all upset or put out, just choose a company with the service/product that suits you.

No single company can be everything to everyone. Stop putting that burden on Tesla. There are reasons Tesla does what it does regardless of anyone else’s understanding, and Tesla isn’t obligated to explain those reasons to any of us.

As has been explained already, Tesla clearly stated at the start of leasing that buy outs would not be allowed as those vehicles would be used for robotaxies. That didn’t come to fruition, so Tesla began selling those used, leased vehicles but didn’t change their leasing policy.

Without making a huge leap in imagination, I’d guess the leasing policy didn’t change because their ultimate plan for leased vehicles as robotaxies hasn’t changed only the timing.