Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Elon Musk ‘can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas’: Democrats and Republicans agree AM should go in EVs​

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and other U.S. lawmakers have rolled out a bill this week that would require car companies to have AM radio in their new vehicles, as the lawmakers aim to end the growing trend of electric vehicles getting made without that feature.

Whatever happened to letting the free market decide? 🤔

oh I really really want to hear this. I don't see how to subscribe to him.
Earl: Why do you hate Trans?
Elon: I don't hate anybody
Earl: Then why are you defending people who say nasty things to trans?
Elon: Because everyone has the right to say whatever they want

I'm not a subscriber..but this is probably a good summary.

Elon: I don't hate anybody
Earl: Then why are you defending people who say nasty things to trans?
Elon: Because everyone has the right to say whatever they want

I'm not a subscriber..but this is probably a good summary.
Earl is a smart and reasonable guy who, much like Elon, presents not as well in Tweets. He wouldn't blow this opportunity like that. I like both of these people and agree with Earl in this arena and I do think Elon is someone who listens carefully and is open to change. The fact he's even doing this is promising.

Earl is a smart and reasonable guy who, much like Elon, presents not as well in Tweets. He wouldn't blow this opportunity like that. I like both of these people and agree with Earl in this arena and I do think Elon is someone who listens carefully and is open to change. The fact he's even doing this is promising.
He literally asked this question to Elon and that was ELon's response last time he had a chance to speak with him on space. It was the same space Whole Mars got Elon to say he will not sell in 2023.

Elon Musk ‘can afford to include AM radio in his Teslas’: Democrats and Republicans agree AM should go in EVs​

Republican Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas, Democratic Sen. Ed Markey of Massachusetts and other U.S. lawmakers have rolled out a bill this week that would require car companies to have AM radio in their new vehicles, as the lawmakers aim to end the growing trend of electric vehicles getting made without that feature.
OMG what the Hell is happening to America? Is this a joke or real news?

Definitive proof the average age of congress is way way too high.

……..Elon saying smartphones contain 100% Cobalt is pretty misleading and he should be community noted (lol), I found that line pretty weird coming from him

There is no 100% Cobalt battery so I don't know what he was thinking, even if you ignore all the non active components and focus just on cathode, anode and electrolytes it's really far from 100 % Cobalt

Both NMC and NCA ( it's in the name ffs Nickel Manganese Cobalt and Nickel Cobalt Aluminum) ,18650s, 2170s, and 4680s, contains way more cobalt than just "a little bit to stabilize"

A Tesla pack (non LFP) contains orders of magnitude more Cobalt than any smartphone battery for now
Smartphones use LCO, or Lithium Cobalt Oxide, cathodes. There is no Nickel, Maganese, or Aluminum. I interpret Elon’s statement “100% Cobalt” to be referring to this. Of course, there still is Lithium, Oxygen, and all of the non-cathode components.

Phones can’t use NMC, NCA or other blends because at low SOC the voltage is too low to run the electronics. For now at least, they are stuck with expensive LCO cathodes.

GSP

So silly, but can't this be solved with a free AM streaming app.
It's about signal reception, not stations to play. AM radio can be picked up most every where. Cellular deserts exist where you can't get any signal. Maybe he should just come up with a miniature starlink just for Tesla to receive streaming AM everywhere. Then sell it to all the other manufacturers.

I pay attention to Gary and Ross because they represent the WS Bull side. And it's painfully obvious to us retail investors how much future potential WS has not taken into consideration.

Which explains why TSLA is very undervalued and hopefully our TSLA investment will lead to a happy and early retirement.
FYI, Gary & GK’s respective ETFs own less TSLA shares than my personal portfolio (and I am sure of most people here). I.e. They have less skin in the game & are merely trying to lure noob Tesla fanbois to invest in their & increase their AUM.

More and more have taken to restricting end of lease options: https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/advice/lease-end-options-restrictions

Well, isn't a lease actually normally a rental with an option, I'd say gamble, to buy the vehicle at the end? (A gamble that the vehicle would be worth more than the residual in the lease contract. If not, you just return it.)

Tesla took the gamble out of it. If you want to own the car buy it. If you just want to use it lease, ie. rent, it for 3 years.

I suspect more OEMs will start restricting end of lease options. (And probably stop spending money to make leases affordable, as they start losing their shirts on returned ICE vehicles in the next few years.)
Close to 50% of all Honda buyers lease. You know why? Because you almost guaranteed to have equity at the end of the lease. I just got $6K on returning my Honda a couple of months ago. That equity is mine, not Honda's. Why Tesla thinks its ok to keep the equity is nuts.

Tesla has always started with selling the most expensive trim first on a new product release in order to help fund the factory growth.

I don't think that's actually the case though?

The Model 3 launched with the RWD LR... the two more expensive trims (AWD LR and P) didn't come out until almost a year later. Y launched in 2019 with both P and LR AWD editions at the same time... the LR RWD never ended up being made at all. An SR was initially canceled entirely due to too-low range then eventually introduced in 2021.

The Model X (if you discount the tiny # of signature editions) launched both the base and performance versions at the same time- as did the S years earlier with both a 60 and P85 available from the start.

They are probably just reacting to requests from their voters complaining about missing their favorite late night AM radio show.

1684464486113.jpeg

But I guess if we are going to Occupy Mars we might as well have George Noory calling the play-by-play for all EV drivers too

Close to 50% of all Honda buyers lease. You know why? Because you almost guaranteed to have equity at the end of the lease. I just got $6K on returning my Honda a couple of months ago. That equity is mine, not Honda's. Why Tesla thinks its ok to keep the equity is nuts.
That is the point if residual value. It is not intended inherently to make money for either lessor or lessee. Either can gain or lose from the process.

Smartphones use LCO, or Lithium Cobalt Oxide, cathodes. There is no Nickel, Maganese, or Aluminum. I interpret Elon’s statement “100% Cobalt” to be referring to this. Of course, there still is Lithium, Oxygen, and all of the non-cathode components.

Phones can’t use NMC, NCA or other blends because at low SOC the voltage is too low to run the electronics. For now at least, they are stuck with expensive LCO cathodes.

GSP
Oh really interesting

Never dove into phone batteries before

And makes sense, and I can confirm it because I was testing the capacity of an old iPhone that was sitting on a drawer for a few years and it indeed shuts down at around 3.45 V, which is a bit above the 3.3 V many chips operate, vs the bellow 3 V you can take NCA and NCM

And that explains why phone batteries have such a poor cycle life, LCO is old, same used on RC packs, really powerful, which is useless on phones

And on top of that most phone manufacturers charge them to 4.3 V or more to compensate for lower energy density, and that is the region which makes degradation skyrocket

Hey Tim Apple, easy path there to huge improvements in battery life, you just need to make all the semiconductors yourself and find out how to make them operate at a even lower voltage, you can do it, there is even some random (not only) automotive company designing all their own chips